SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#84906 - 06/26/06 08:49 AM What are your other hobbies??????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone here does outside of music as a hobby. I don't know if this question has been asked in the past (maybe I even asked it myself)...

Aside from music I also like to draw (my medium is ink and pencil--may get into oil painting).

I also collect antiques, enjoy model railroading, collecting 1:18 scale model cars, collect air pistols and rifles (left the real ones behind--nervous wife I guess--so I now collect fully licensed air replicas)

This may be sad, but two of my favorite shows on TV are on the public channel. I'm hooked on Ross's Joy Of Painting--laugh at the man's afro if you want, but it's amazing to see his creations come to life (he was very talented), and I'm nuts about the Antique Road Show.

Anyone else care to share?

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#84907 - 06/26/06 10:11 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak it has changed for me over the years...

during my late teens and twenty's I also liked art,,Drawing skills I must acquired from my mother[she was a good artist]..
Also during my early years from 1960 thru 1976 I raced autos[Drag racing]..I competed on a high level of success...

In mid seventies I raced Motocross[dirt bikes]..

I have always played sports..wrestling, boxing, baseball, softball, football, and my favorite basketball...I played basketball up to last year[league play]..I played with as Uncle Dave says[kids in their 20's]..
I thought about playing in the over 50 league, but it isn't aggressive enough for me...Don't get me wrong there are some 50 year old guys I know that can compete with anyone...but overall there are too many mismatches[I couldn't had a field day]..
My last year of active play , I injured both achille tendons at the same time, and for a week had difficulty walking , let alone playing....I took this as a sign to back off......I do think I will hook up again[maybe there is an over 60 league..

Now my hobby is spectator at my grand kids games..They all excell too....and there are a lot of pretty moms at the games

#84908 - 06/26/06 12:54 PM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After graduation, I took a job as an accountant/auditor. HATED IT! I then decided to only do for a living what I would do for fun.

My company does strategic planning, MARCOM plans, video production, publishing, broadcast commercial production, high end graphics (logos, positioning, etc.)SPSS and SASS research, packaging and POS design, music scores, large format photography...teaching at the graduate level...believe it or not, all things I love...things that are related when you consider the gamut of tasks involved in organizational and mass communications.

Now the downside...useless but FUN activities: restoring old Cushman motorscooters and Honda motorcycles...collecting guns and knives
(hundreds..most never used) restoring old cars (my youngest son is a "car guy"), collecting stringed instruments (over 300 to date). Just stopped smoking a pipe...anyone want over three hundred of the stinky things? UGH!

But, Like Fran, the greatest things now are spending time with three fabulous grandchildren and playing (now in my 50th year, with no end in site (I hope). In the fall, a trio consisting of me on keys and guitar, my son on bass and my grandson on drums will take a house gig two afternoons a week.

COOL!...Life is GOOD!

Russ

#84909 - 06/27/06 12:33 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
Carrie-uk Offline

Loc: England
I keep a marine aquarium with fish and corals - all tank bred and so NOT taken from the ocean.

Carrie

#84910 - 06/27/06 07:09 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Okay, will give it a go as well.

First of all, music: playing the organ and keyboard. Figures since I'm on SZ. Of course, listening to music is also a must. Can't get enough of the Beatles.

My other love is reading and I have a well-stocked library.I prefer non-fiction but fiction is represented as well.

Well, since I live in Taiwan it kinda makes sense that I am also into Martial Arts. Then again, maybe it doesn't make sense at all as having sense beaten into you makes you senseless, doesn't it?

On the softer side, I just love camping. Nothing beats sleeping underneath the stars. As long as the weather permits, my tent's only used for storing my gear.

I am guilty of being a Scrabble addict but I doubt I'll ever do time for that although it would make doing time a breeze. Not that I'd like to find out, mind you. Crossword puzzles..another addiction. Basically love about every wordgame. And don't count out Trivial Pursuit and other boardgames.

Chinese paper cutting and paper carving. Slow and tedious work but I love it.

Then there's studying languages. I speak nine so am pretty much at home anywhere. I'm working on number ten now: Lao. My wife is Lao and we'll be living in Laos in a couple of years from now. Once I speak Lao, Thai will be a breeze.

Cooking! Anything with lots of spices and herbs. Plus, I love it hot, hot, hot!

Before I forget, I used to sky-dive (I was a Para-Commando in the Armed Forces) but have to miss out on that one in Taiwan. I live in the North while the sky-diving club is in the South-East.

Okay, am coming to the end. There's still running and swimming. Can't stand heated and indoors swimming pools so usually swim in mountain rivers and swim holes. There's a nice pool with a waterfall not too far from where I live. It's usually deserted which I like about it. Great power massages that waterfall gives!

Uh...my wife's also my hobby. And 8 months from now I'll have another hobby...our first child!

ps. Squeak, although not a painter, I loved his show as well.

Captain Russ, do you own any Kinmen (offshore island of Taiwan)knives? They're made from artillery shells.

Taike

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

#84911 - 06/27/06 07:56 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
captain Russ Offline

Carrie...forgot to mention a 10,000 gal. Koi pond (started with a small portable one for my grandson). UV filters, two regular filters, waterfalls and about 40 Koi.

Taike...not familiar with that brand of knife, but impressed with the quality of knives and other products made in Taiwan, including one of my favorite "Rides"...a 150 CC Kymco motorscooter. Had it 3 years...no maintenance and retails about $1000.00 less than Honda, Suzuki, etc. They're the world's third largest two wheeled motor vehicle manufacturer...far superior to almost everything else. They make small engines for Honda. Will cruise at 60. I keep it in our downtown warehouse for trips to lunch, the bank, suppliers, etc.

russ

#84912 - 06/27/06 08:31 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Captain Russ,

You can see here how Kinmen knives are made: http://www.aronsonsjournal.com/Taiwan2003/15.html
http://www.taiwanho.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=kinmen_meastrowu
http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/local/tour_kinmen/e/3-4-1.htm

I have a SYM 150cc. Not that fast but then again, I hate going fast. Great bike for camping trips and it does great on mountain roads. Paid a US$1300(2001)and never had a problem.

#84913 - 06/27/06 11:45 AM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
captain Russ Offline

Taike, the Kymco 150 is $3200.00 here (plus accessories..I have a windshield and carrier box-about $400.00) and worth every penny. they are about twice as expensicve as the cheap imports from China.

Russ

#84914 - 06/27/06 05:12 PM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Photography

Web Design / Graphics Design

Oil Painting

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#84915 - 06/27/06 07:09 PM Re: What are your other hobbies??????
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Trips in our 35 foot new motorhome and cruises on Princess ships are my OTHER hobbies

Taike, What do you do in your sparetime
Bebop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online