SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#344730 - 05/14/12 07:43 AM I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent
NiteLife Offline

Loc: Cape Coral, Florida USA
Greetings Korg PA3X Professionals and Players,

I'm coming over to visit from the Ketron Audya Forum.

I will be soon purchasing a second board to add on stage with my Audya.

For those of you that don't know me or haven't read any of my posts, I am a full time musician living and performing in a Duo in SW Florida. I've been a full time player for over forty years.

Almost four years ago I purchased an Audya and Tyros3 which replaced my Korg PA80 & Yamaha PSR3000.

I know we all have PERSONAL choices and reasons why we prefer certain Arrangers & Performance Keyboards.

I would appreciate some opinions, likes and dislikes on the PA3X.

First: I absolutely LOVE my AUDYA. In fact after a shot time, I found myself not even using the Tyros3. I think the Tyros is an awesome arranger with superb styles, however the CD like sound compared to the Audya's LIVE BAND sound became undesirable in comparison and I played it live less and less.

I sold it several months ago, and need to find a second board.

At first, I felt the Jupiter 80 or 50 or the Kronos would be a good choice, but I have determined that another Arranger makes more sense.
Especially if my Audya goes down.

We all know the arranger choice's are not many anymore, so that helps to narrow down a decision.

I still have my PA80, however I'm sure many improvements have been done with Korg's line up.

I have spent countless hours on the Internet watching Video's, listening to demos and reading any and all information I could find in the forums.

I like what I hear for the most part in the PA3X, great styles, editing & tweaking ability, etc....etc.

However, this is what's holding me back.....It's that very similar CD sound that the Yamaha has. I know that's NOT a BAD THING!!!!!!! I guess it's just because ( Personally ) I'm spoiled on the Audya's " In Your Face Sound. "

Will some of you please, put my mind at ease, and tell me I'll be thrilled with the PA3X.

I'm not concerned with the learning curve, I've become pretty good at mastering Arrangers and learning the in's and out's of the Operating Systems.

It's just the SOUND of the board that concern's me.

Any and all help from you Korg lover's....will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank You!!!!!
Jim

#344744 - 05/14/12 11:07 AM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Jim

I have compared all the boards you mention, and tried them out live (I never place much importance on Videos or mp3s) and I can assure you the Korg is nothing like the Yamaha line for sound, this is because it does NOT have a sound like a CD, (Unlike a Yamaha) but has a really live sound.

Style wise the Audya live recorded backings beat the Korg Styles, (They are real recordings after all) however when it comes to sounds (And how you can manipulate them live) then the Korg is way ahead of anything that the Audya can produce.

Combining them would give you an awesome combination, however I still think you should really try out the Korg Kronos, as the sounds it can produce (And control of these sounds) is way beyond anything any of the latest arrangers can produce. (And probably will be for some time to come)

Hope this helps

Bill

#344894 - 05/18/12 07:18 AM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
NiteLife Offline

Bill, Thank you for your response and input. This post has had 44 views and you were the only one to respond. I Thank you for that!!

Korg Forum is as slow as the Ketron Forum. I guess nobody is excited about anything that's out and available.

The more video's and demo's I've seen has really sparked some enthusiasm with me on getting the PA3X. I haven't had a Korg with me on stage since the PA80.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with it. I am also buying a Jupiter 80......Hey....you can NEVER have two many Keyboards!

225 KEY'S......10 FINGERS.......NO PROBLEM!.... Just... Way too many buttons, screen touching, nob twisting, ribbon sliding and pedal stepping on's to do!

Thanks, Bill. Wish me luck. smile

Jim

#344922 - 05/19/12 02:24 AM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Good luck with your endeavour.

To make it really interesting though, you could also add a laptop with some VSTs on-board to really push the boat out.

Isn’t technology wonderful?

Bill

#344935 - 05/19/12 10:20 AM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've made many posts about the PA3X, BK7m, and the Audya, and have often compared them with Yamaha.
I am still very pleased with the Korg. You can use search function to find my impressions and those of several others.
I have been very sick the past week and I'm still really weak, so haven't posted much.
DonM

#344951 - 05/19/12 09:04 PM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
NiteLife Offline

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help!

Once I found a couple HD video's and listened closely to the PA3X's sound, I admit it sounds pretty good.

I would place it's sound right between the Audya & the Tyros.

I think there are some pretty awesome styles and the TC Helicon Harmonizer is superb.

I've decided to get the 76 with the PAAS Speaker attachment.

The only problem seems to be no one has them in stock.

Frank, My dealer in Ct. has them on order. He will notify me as soon as he get's them in.

I'll post a review once I've had a few day's to spend on it.

Must admit, I'm getting excited.

Jim

#361735 - 02/18/13 05:14 PM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: NiteLife]
baz66 Offline

Loc: Australia E coast
Hi Nitelife.
Read your post with interest. My story is that I come from a long line of technics but my 6000 is broken and not worth fixing. If I could find anybody in OZ who would touch it.
I bought a psr710 and while I like it, It doesn't offer much of a challenge in tweaking.
It was suggested that I buy a A5 but I have decided on a pa3x.
Why?
I think the sounds on all the modern KB's are excellent. Not being a performer, I don't worry too much about that.
The main thing was price. I'm getting the korg 76 key for A$400 less than the A5 61 key. The sounds are not going to be much different out of my old pa system anyway. There is so much to learn (and I like that) with the korg plus it has the helicon system which is a bonus I think.
I will be very much interested in reading your experiences with the korg and comparing it with minew.
Baz

#362028 - 02/23/13 11:42 AM Re: I NEED OPINIONS......Good...Bad.....Or Indifferent [Re: baz66]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
You may want to wait just a bit for the next Korg to replace the pa800 (if they do one- there's chatter of a pa900 coming) .. as a second board, it should be less $$ than the 3x.

I really think that a real Ketron fan won't be satisfied with something different. Why not an SD5? Around 2k new without vocalizer or hard drive (both available)?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online