SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#74549 - 10/03/05 07:25 AM Programmable Module
Lisztman Offline

Hi, I am wondering if there are any MIDI modules that allow new sounds to be programmed into it. I am not referring to changing the tones a little bit here and there, I am referring to whole new sounds.
Say for example that I have a bunch of samples from a Reason 3.0 soundbank. Is there a device which will allow me to upload that selected sound bank.
Can anyone help me? Even if you have never heard of such a thing, please post and tell me that... because right now, I have no idea what is out there.

#74550 - 10/03/05 03:24 PM Re: Programmable Module
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
It's not really clear what you mean, but I'll give it a try..

Samples = AUDIO

Midi = Contains the instructions HOW to handle the audio, notes,velocity,sustain etc...

So if you like to upload the samples you created with reason you need a Sampler.

All samplers have midi and can receive there instructions from any other midi device.
(also your computer is a midi device if you have a midi interface)

--------------------------------------------

If you want to send midi instructions to Reason for playback the created samples thru your soundcard you need a midi controller keyboard.

If above is not what you want , please explain a bit what you exactly want to do?

Fred

#74551 - 10/04/05 06:36 AM Re: Programmable Module
Lisztman Offline

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware of sampler devices. However, the only ones that I can find these days are beat boxes, and they are not what I want at all. I won't pay extra for functions that I will never use. Currently I have a keyboard hooked up to Reason, and I know how that works.
I am also aware what MIDI is, and what samples are. However, I continue to have trouble finding a device that implements MIDI instructions from a controller (like a keyboard) with a custom sound bank in a live performance setting, with high polyphony.

I am not sure how much more explicit I can get here.

I need a device that I can upload quality or custom sound banks to, that can be controlled with a midi piano, with some editable effects as well. I don't want that extra beat crap, just the sounds and variations.

#74552 - 10/04/05 01:39 PM Re: Programmable Module
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Lisztman:
...Even if you have never heard of such a thing, please post and tell me that...

I also don't know exactly what you mean. You can control several sounds via different midi channels and switch between them. But if you want to cross over from one to another sound while playing it then you'll probably need a synth which provides the ability to create multi layer sounds plus a controller which allows you to balance between both layers (something like a cross over controller). Many synths have single and multi sounds but there are less which came with a sampler. Kurzweil built a synth with an optional sampler on board. There are keyboard and rack versions.
I don't know if you can do the same with pure samplers like AKAI or ENSONIQUE. Maybe there's somebody who knows more???

Maybe it's a midi controller what you're searching for. There are programmable midi foot pedals which allows you to control special midi functions. They're special made for life acts...

I hope I could help a little bit. Good luck!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 10-04-2005).]

#74553 - 10/04/05 02:49 PM Re: Programmable Module
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
samples are. However, I continue to have trouble finding a device that implements MIDI instructions from a controller (like a keyboard) with a custom sound bank in a live performance setting, with high polyphony.

I am not sure how much more explicit I can get here.

I need a device that I can upload quality or custom sound banks to, that can be controlled with a midi piano, with some editable effects as well. I don't want that extra beat crap, just the sounds and variations.

Ok, that makes it a bit clearer.

Well My Kurzweil can do all you ask, and ofcourse a lot more. (K2600S)
You can make setups for any wanted configuration, which is perfect for live situations.
In fact a K is exactly whhat you need.

If you don't want the keys you might try to find a rack version with the sampler option installed, allthough that is a lot tougher to setup.

Fred

[This message has been edited by freddynl (edited 10-04-2005).]

#74554 - 10/04/05 04:07 PM Re: Programmable Module
Lisztman Offline

thanks a lot. I think since the keyboards themselves are INSANELY expensive($5400 for 88 key weighted with sampling), I am going to take a look at the K2600 R which is rackmounted, and has what I'm looking for.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. ^_^
Anyone know of any other manufacturers that make similar devices?

#74555 - 10/04/05 05:49 PM Re: Programmable Module
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Quote:
Hi, I am wondering if there are any MIDI modules that allow new sounds to be programmed into it. I am not referring to changing the tones a little bit here and there, I am referring to whole new sounds.
Say for example that I have a bunch of samples from a Reason 3.0 soundbank. Is there a device which will allow me to upload that selected sound bank.
Can anyone help me? Even if you have never heard of such a thing, please post and tell me that... because right now, I have no idea what is out there.

Any old sampler will do maybe ?

I have a Roland s50 (keyboard not rack version that I have kept all these years) I use for this purpose. I also have 3 Roland s10s and a s10 rack collecting dust. I have the entire original Roland factory sound library. It really depends on how much sample time you need and if you are good at looping samples.

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 10-04-2005).]

#74556 - 10/09/05 06:29 PM Re: Programmable Module
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Roland Fantom X can hold up to 512 MB of samples. you may have to buy the chicken systems translator to convert from your sample format to roland sample format.
Yamaha Motif ES also holds up to 500 MB of samples.

Both of these come in rack modules.
512 mb means a heck of a lot more than drum loops.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online