SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72075 - 06/03/00 05:05 PM QY700 pitch problem.
NLAlston Offline

I am experiencing a very exasperating problem with my QY700 music sequencer, and I hope that someone out there may be able to clue me in to some corrective measure. My problem is this: Oftentimes when I play back a piece on my QY700, one of the voices (that I used the pitch wheel on) will be elevated out of key. What I have to do, then, is go to the track of the affected voice (during playback) and roll the pitch wheel back. That voice will immediately drop back into key, and will remain there until the song is stopped and restarted again. Bear in mind that the physical wheel always returns to its detented position, so the problem has to be an internal one. If it happened all the time, I might be able to ingest the matter better. But the problem occurs about 85% of the time. I initially bought the unit for the purpose of pre-recording my music to sing against in church. But - as I can't be certain that the music would play properly - that application is no longer an option for me. Yamaha has refused to come to my aid, stating that no similar problems have been registered by anyone else. And their adoption of that attitude has cost them a customer. But I would deeply appreciate any information that might help me to surmount this problem.

Nathan

#72076 - 06/04/00 03:58 PM Re: QY700 pitch problem.
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi NLAlston,

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, but will say that you have to be really careful when recording pitch bends in sequences.

You want to remember that the pitch will remain bent on the modules if you stop the sequencer in the middle of a bend, so don't stop the sequencer when it is playing a bend.

If you must do so, you may want to insert a pitch bend = 0 at the start of the songs on all tracks (also doesn't hurt to do so at the end of every 8 or 16 bars, if the music allows). Then way when you start up a new song, the pitch bend immediate returns to normal.

Some 'panic' buttons will cause pitch bend to return to zero.

Hope this helps?

Christopher

[This message has been edited by feefer (edited 06-04-2000).]

#72077 - 06/04/00 11:16 PM Re: QY700 pitch problem.
NLAlston Offline

Hi Christopher,

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your input on this matter. I absolutely love my QY700, and it is one piece of equipment that I don't think I will ever part with. Once I conquer this pitch bend problem I will be one very satisfied individual - and I do believe that your suggestion just may be the medicine. I have printed it out and will begin to apply the action on my next session. Once again, Chris, thanks much.

Peace, Nathan.
Quote:
Originally posted by feefer:
Hi NLAlston,

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, but will say that you have to be really careful when recording pitch bends in sequences.

You want to remember that the pitch will remain bent on the modules if you stop the sequencer in the middle of a bend, so don't stop the sequencer when it is playing a bend.

If you must do so, you may want to insert a pitch bend = 0 at the start of the songs on all tracks (also doesn't hurt to do so at the end of every 8 or 16 bars, if the music allows). Then way when you start up a new song, the pitch bend immediate returns to normal.

Some 'panic' buttons will cause pitch bend to return to zero.

Hope this helps?

Christopher

[This message has been edited by feefer (edited 06-04-2000).]

#72078 - 06/05/00 11:26 AM Re: QY700 pitch problem.
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Hi Nathan,

Glad to be of some help: been there, done that, in regards to being frustrated when things don't work as I think they should...

Another hint: you also should be very careful also when recording modulation wheel, aftertouch, sustain pedal, etc, while sequencing. It is a good thing to set all of these controller values to 0 at the first beat of the first measure of the sequence, just to make sure there are no funny sounding notes, etc. Most sequencers allow you to insert controller events.

Alternatively, you can leave one bar of silence at the beginning of the song and record just controllers as you 'tweak' the pitch bend, modulation, sustain pedal, just to make sure they will all be set to zero at the start of the music.

Regards,

Christopher

#72079 - 06/05/00 04:26 PM Re: QY700 pitch problem.
NLAlston Offline

Chris,

Thanks again, pal. I haven't had the opportunity to apply your suggestions, as yet (been rather busy), but I will soon.

God Bless, Nathan.

#72080 - 06/08/00 10:23 PM Re: QY700 pitch problem.
NLAlston Offline

Chris ~

I did get the chance to do as you suggested that I should - and VOILA...IT WORKED. Now my works play back to me exactly as they should, and I am really grateful to you.

Peace, nathan.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online