SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#350020 - 08/31/12 02:07 AM Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ?
Dave L. Offline

Hello Yamaha Members
I have a Yamaha Electone EL40 Organ
The Organ has touch sensative keys
On a piano ,guitar etc several at random notes are much loader than those in the same area --- I can only presume the touch pads under the effected keys are shot.
If you play a note hard its the same loadness as the faulty notes--4 notes on the upper and lower keyboards that may have had a harder work-out in the Organs life
Organ sounds are OK as presumably they are not touch sensative.
Is it something a handy man can rectify ?

Thanks from Dave L. [new member ]

#367061 - 06/03/13 02:27 AM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Help still required in the question to Yamaha Members in the above letter
Surprised no responce to what must be a occuring in other Yamaha Organs so now it will hit the top af the page again.

Its 8 months I have been waiting to see if any suggestions come fourth so I will watch with interest to see if Yamaha lovers and enthusiast are still around.
Thanks in antisipation

Dave L.

#367203 - 06/06/13 02:06 AM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
UkTexan Offline

Loc: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
Just noticed your post on browsing the forums. Would you like to try this forum http://www.organforum.com/forums/ and post your question there as maybe someone would have an answer for you. Hope you find a solution. blush
Cheers
Carol

#367232 - 06/06/13 07:37 PM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Thanks Carol for your suggestion

I will try out the different site

I also have had a problem with a Technics KN 7000 and over 7000 people have viewed with many Technics fans offering helpful suggestions.

So you can see why I couldn't understand why the Yamaha site seems unresponsive.

Thanks again from Dave L [ in New Zealand ]

#369393 - 07/21/13 07:34 AM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
777funk Offline

There are different keybeds and switches there but they usually opperate on two touch style buttons (like in a soft pad switched telephone - for the number keys). These switches get dirty or go bad. The contacts can need cleaning.

In my S30, it has a long strip of two channels of carbon. This needed to be replaced but I just turned it around 180 degrees and it fixed it for me (it was only 2 notes in my case).

#369410 - 07/22/13 01:50 AM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Thanks 777funk,
I have the Yamaha EL40 out in the shed and when the weather gets warmer I will open up the organ and see if a retired motor mechanic can endeavour to discover what the problem is
Don't know if parts are available in New Zealand----- One step at a time.

Actually I have waited nearly 11 months for a Yamaha person to give a better idea what the problem is
Its a pity you cant turn the touch sensitive function right OFF.

Thanks from Dave L.

#387423 - 04/03/14 02:17 AM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Thanks Yamaha fans
The warmer weather has come and I have succeeded in opening up the Yamaha Organ EL40 that had several notes on upper and lower keyboards that sounded full blast when using any percussion sounds.

I didn't have to buy any parts and reused the same rubber pad strips
I exposed the internal note circuits and cleaned with a contact cleaner sprayed on a cotton bud, followed by a quick rub with a very very fine abrasive paper---- I also swapped a couple of keys that were finger nail damaged and reput them at the lower end of the keyboard where they don't get much use.
You don't have to remove the Disk drive to get the keyboards out
The many screws to remove were either self threading or fine threaded so you need to remember as you have to take out several dozen screws.

Hope this helps other handy people that must have had a similar problem with a Yamaha Organ.

Dave L.

#387671 - 04/07/14 10:21 PM Re: Yamaha EL40 organ faulty Touch sensative keys ? [Re: Dave L.]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks for letting us know how that worked out Dave. Sounds like you had to spend a lot of time with the screwdriver though wink But it was worth it.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online