SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70947 - 09/23/01 11:53 PM Reading MIDI file from PC diskette - W5 version2
kieti Offline

Loc: Kenya
I have sequenced music using PC software and saved it as midi file onto a pc formatted diskette. My I cannot read from a W5 synthesizer.

I tried formatting a diskette using the W5 so I could copy into it the midi files form the PC but the PC (with windows nt) cannot recognize the format of the diskette.

Someone please give mean idea how to go round this!

#70948 - 09/24/01 03:52 AM Re: Reading MIDI file from PC diskette - W5 version2
mick n Offline

Loc: stockton . teesside. england
Hiya, Have you made sure that the midifile you are trying to load into the W5 is in FORMAT 0?. The W5 or W7 cannot read FORMAT 1 midifiles. So therefore any midifile loaded into this keyboard MUST be in FORMAT 0.

Mick.

#70949 - 09/25/01 04:36 AM Re: Reading MIDI file from PC diskette - W5 version2
kieti Offline

Thanks for the response.

I have made all my midi files to be of 'type 0'

I still have the error message 'disk unformated' when I try to from the disk. Just wondering
if I do not need to format the disk from the W5 and the copy my files from pc to the
diskette? - and if that is the case, my PC seems not to recognize the W5 formatted
diskette.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

#70950 - 09/26/01 06:46 AM Re: Reading MIDI file from PC diskette - W5 version2
mick n Offline

Loc: stockton . teesside. england
Hiya,

Another thing i just remembered, The floppy drive in the W7/W5 series can only read double density floppys. If you are saving midi file on your computer onto a High density disc,the chances are that the W5 will not read it.
The W5/7 can read double density floppys that are formatted on a pc.
Try this to be on the safe side,----Format a double density floppy on the W5,put it into the pc,save a midi file onto it in Format 0,put it into the W5 and it should load the midi file.
Let me know if it works!

Also the W series synths were fitted with a problematic disc drive but if this is the case the error message would read "Disc not ready".
I dont think this is the problem in your case though.

Hope this helps.

Mick.

#70951 - 09/29/01 02:43 AM Re: Reading MIDI file from PC diskette - W5 version2
kieti Offline

Thanks a lot Mick for your ideas.

I used good old Double Density diskettes and it worked. I did not even need to format the disks using the w5.

Looks like I now have use for my old unused dd diskettes.

Kieti

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online