SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71181 - 02/18/00 05:15 AM Yamaha S80
Agent428 Offline

I've noticed that several of you out there have purchased a Yamaha S80. How's it working out for you? What do you really like about it? And what, if any, disappointments have you experienced with it?

#71182 - 02/18/00 11:54 AM Re: Yamaha S80
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
In a few words...
Go and get it. Don't forget to look PLG cards addons.
S80 has all the PROS of EX5 without any CONS
Ask me if you want something to know and i'll post you later...

#71183 - 02/21/00 05:19 AM Re: Yamaha S80
Agent428 Offline

Inray

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the vague question.

I do have two questions -- both of which will show my inexperience with midi and synthesizers in general.

First, I understand from the S80 specificaitons and website that it can playback standard midi files. Does this mean that they must be .smf, or will it also playback .mid and .sng files?

Second, can you (or someone else) help me understand what it means that the S80 is not GM compatible (something I picked up off this forum)? How would this limit it's usefulness?

Apologize for my ignorance here -- this is one of the reasons I joined this forum ... to get educated.

Thanks in advance.

#71184 - 02/21/00 04:07 PM Re: Yamaha S80
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
S80 can play SMF (type 0) midi files using internal playback-only sequencer reading them from a RAM smartcard or from midi. You cannot save,edit sequences as S80 doesn't have sequencer builtin.
GM is a standard arrangement of voice position so standard midi files can use GM banks that have the same voices in the same positions as in midi files. In a non GM keyboard midi (GM) files have from minor to major differences (for example midi file have a part in grand piano but sound module has in the same position some other voice).
GM is useful to you if you want play ready made GM midi files.
In S80 you can use the PLG100-XG expansion board that adds a 32 voices 16 part GM/XG synth in the main keyboard. These extra 32 voices are 32 plus S80 (64) voices so the polyphony (in theory) becomes to 96.
I must say to you that Yamaha GM/XG voices are made from maximum two elements so the sound of this board is not as good as S80's excellent banks. Anyway GM/XG plugin is useful only for computer made midi files playback.
You must not take non GM as an S80 limitation. The keyboard is excellent. I have Rolands (JV2080,XP80) a new Triton Pro and many other sampler-module racks but this new keyboard is very good. I has excellent sounds (especialy if you need natural piano/pad/organ sounds), easy editing (for a Yamaha and a two line LCD), easy live setup, and the best 88 keys weighted action keyboard. And at a friendly price
If you have any other questions please post them here.

#71185 - 03/06/00 04:18 PM Re: Yamaha S80
Agent428 Offline

Inray and others

Went ahead and bought the S80. Really pleased with the piano action and like the piano and EP sounds. Thanks for your advice which helped solidify my decision.

I'm just getting into midi and sequencing, so hope you won't mind me using this forum to ask questions. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the manual.

Thanks again.

Agent 428

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online