SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72507 - 02/14/00 10:39 PM Yamaha P-80
LifeForceExplorer Offline

Loc: Kentield, California USA
Have any other acoustic pianists noticed how great the touch/action (and sound in headphones) is on this little 37 pound keyboard (the P-80) ? I've gotta get it ! PROBLEM - I'm just learning about MIDI, sequencing, etc. Even though complete synth-sequence-keyboard-all-in-one units are available (like the Yamaha S-80)...I really WANT to use this little P-80 with my PC computer and a simple synth like the Roland 1010 with its hundreds of good classical sounds for classical composing. With a good sequencing program on the computer would this combination allow me to compose, edit and save up to 16 part compositions ? The P-80 is SO simple....few MIDI controls: no pitch bend, equalizer, etc...almost NOTHING...just a few GREAT sounds (notably the piano sounds) and MIDI IN-OUT-THRU. Will a sequencing program have the functions that can then modify the qualities of the sounds coming from the Roland 1010 ?? Even the 1010 just has a couple of knobs basically for selecting the patches. I want to be sure I can modify the qualities of the sounds with the right sequencing software and not just edit/reorganize the notes. Any software suggestions ? THANKS

#72508 - 02/15/00 06:58 PM Re: Yamaha P-80
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's a GREAT combination. Your PC will give you all the bells and whistles you need. EQ, FX - you name it will all be controllable from the PC. The JV1010 comes with it's own editing software that works on PC and Mac. You're set.
And I agree - the P80 is AWESOME.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#72509 - 02/16/00 12:07 AM Re: Yamaha P-80
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
LifeForceExplorer,

You mentioned Yamaha S-80 as one of the complete synth-sequence-keyboard-all-in-one units. I own a S-80 and it is not all-in-one unit - it lacks a sequencer for recording and it does not have floppy drive nor hard drive for storage. Its sequencer is playback only with the SmartMedia card (up to 32 MB) as storage. The S-80 still needs a computer for sequencing.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#72510 - 02/16/00 08:31 PM Re: Yamaha P-80
LifeForceExplorer Offline

Loc: Kentield, California USA
THANK YOU Dave and Paul, for the helpful comments ! I really appreciate them... I'm a classical pianist struggling to get hip to MIDI. Dave, your message suggests that the included Roland 1010 software will do the whole sequencing job as long as long as its the only module in this simple system ? Can Roland's sequencing software understand and record the Yamaha piano voice coming from the keyboard as well ? Thanks again.

#72511 - 02/17/00 12:00 AM Re: Yamaha P-80
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The JV1010 has EDITING software with it. Not sequencing. I'd recommend PowerTrax from PG Music. It's only 29 dollars and it works great! My cakewalk is collecting dust!

------------------
Uncle Dave

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online