SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73727 - 04/16/99 07:30 AM Yamaha rm1x
JazzChemist Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
has anyone used this machine (rm1x)? What do you think? Is it worth the money, and how is the MIDI ?

Thanks

#73728 - 04/16/99 07:48 PM Re: Yamaha rm1x
Hans Offline

Loc: St.Oedenrode, Netherlands
Hello,
I did'nt play on it yet, but a bought the
cs2x: 16 Mb wave-rom, 64 voice polyphony,
and a lot more sounds. Using via midi with
a computer/sequencer there's a lot of things
you can do. I think rm1x has just 4 mb of
sample rom and 32 voice polyphony.
Of course it has all these patterns etc.
that cs2x has'nt. I think it depends on what
you want: more sounds (choose cs2x) or more
technique and build-in styles (choose rm1x).
Bye - Hans

#73729 - 05/02/99 07:39 AM Re: Yamaha rm1x
xAcidDjx Offline

Loc: Boston
DUde, I bought an RM1x about a week ago. Usually I do a ton of homework on equipment before I purchase it but this was the exception to the rule. I basically played with the demo in the store for an hour and after hearing 'hybrid' versions of Fatboy Slims 'Everybody needs a 303', Prodigys "Breathe" and Chemical Bros "Setting Sun" that Yamaha programed into it I just couldn;t leave the store without it.
I got home, and the fear set in that I'd potentially just blown $700 in something that might be a piece of toss. After a week though I can categorically say that I haven't been this excited about a piece of hardware since my first guitar distorion pedal all those years ago. WHile the Cs2x may have greater sound capeabilities, to me....and this sounds pretty vacuous I know, it comes down to whether you like using a machine that looks and plays like it was designed as mpart of a DJ\Remix setup or a machine that looks and feels like it would be at home in a member of Kraftworks house.
In all it's just a hell of a lot of a fun machine with beautifully rich sound capeabilities, and if you synch it up with a 505...well....leaving the house can be difficult.

#73730 - 05/13/99 02:50 PM Re: Yamaha rm1x
jackyak Offline

Loc: baltimore md usa
The rm1x is a great device for the price.I've
had one 2 weeks and love it.Fortunately I did
do my homework and found out on a thread on the Dancetech chatroom(rm1xvsmc505 is the title of the thread) that a store in San Jose sells them for $589 and got my local guitar center to match the price.The person who posted just before me might want to consider returning his and then getting a price match.If you can't find the thread at dancetech email me and I'll give you the name and #.Oh yeah I think the rm1x sounds great,is easy to use and I'm definately satisfied with the purchase.Does anybody know of a rm1x usergroup or something. I'd love to hear what other people think of it.I have'nt used it with any other midi gear yet so I'm not sure how well it works in that capacity.There ya have it!

#73731 - 05/15/99 09:13 PM Re: Yamaha rm1x
jackyak Offline

Loc: baltimore md usa
The store in San Jose is K+k Music ask for Justin.Today I tried to synchronise my RM1X and SP1200 and they started drifting.I was using the rm1x as the master.I'm going to try it with the SP as master next.Anybody tried this before?

#73732 - 05/18/99 08:41 AM Re: Yamaha rm1x
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have had a rm1x for one week it is very user frindly had loads of brilliant presets and the capabilities of creating some brilliant dance tune. i am still playing with the pre sets, anyone making the move from dj - producing should consider it .....anyone with any tips handy hints or just to discuss the good and bad abpuu the rm1x?????

#73733 - 06/08/99 05:40 PM Re: Yamaha rm1x
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay. Here's my two cents. There's a RM1x list that you can subscribe to that's pretty active at hwseq-list@teklab.com. And there's the www.teklab/forums/ for more info and mp3 demos of the RM1x.

P.S. Just out of curiousity has anybody used the knobs on the RM1x to control other gear? How do they do? Thanks.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online