This was a very interesting afternoon. I have a friend John who has both a Kn6500 and a Kn7000 - and Monroe and I who are both KN2000 players went to visit him and listen to both wonderful keyboards - especially interested in how they would sound using disks from the Kn2000.

There was unfortunately no Yamaha Tyrontasurus Rex to stock them up against - but it was enough to have both Technics keyboards under one roof.

Both of these are very fine keyboards - but it soon became obvious that the built in monitors of the Kn7000 were more powerful that the KN6500.

But what was the downside - more weight! this is the bugaboo of all the new keyboards - in order to present all the exotic technology with it's almost unending sophistication - comes a corresponding increase in girth and weight. I understand that Yamha's approach is to remove the speakers and that bit of surgery removes several pounds. However that makes it a marvel of silence... Great thinking Yamaha!
You still need speakers to hear it, so that is only a partial answer.

I think that the designers of these fabulous instruments are losing sight of the real world - that is they are supposed to be portable units that can be lifted and moved without undergoing a body building course.

If this path of ignoring weight watchers continues - the keyboards will have to become motorized - and equipped with steering and brakes - looking something like a ride on mowing machine!

At that time it wont be Technics and Yamaha - It will be BMW vs Lexus.

Do keyboard engineers ever read these cries for help by the people who spend the money for their products? I wonder.

It's nice to have a great keyboard - but tell me how do you get it out of your house and onto the stage without rupturing yourself?

Did anyone tell them that some of the people buying these products are women - or older people?

Maybe the solution to the problem is to build a keyboard in two segments - one holding the keys and part of the electronics - and the other half of the weight in a separate unit that sits on the floor, perhaps containing front firing audience speakers and rear facing monitors for the player.

That way the weight could be divided into two units - and portability would be a possibility.

Now some people I speak to are buying these monstor keyboards - and leaving them home -

One is doing performances on CD recordings he makes - He's on the stage with a light weight keyboard - like my old Kn2000. Remember those days?

Hey Mr Engineer - did you ever do a gig where you had to bring the equipment onto a stage?

I doubt it.

Jerry