SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#41681 - 02/08/00 01:33 PM KN5000 TECHNI-CHORD "harmony parts": Possible to send out via midi?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I am running a midi sequencer & digital audio software program called Logic Audio on my Macintosh Computer (G4). Overall, I am able to successfully record my Technics KN5000 keyboard performances directly into Logic Audio's midi sequencer (RT1; RT2; Left; accomp parts: 1, 2,3; bass; drums). I do notice one specific limitation which baffles me. I am not able to send out the 'techni-chord' harmony parts out from my KN keyboard via midi to my sequencer, though the main (RT1) melody (played part) which triggers the harmony is being sent out fine.

I checked my KN5000's midi settings and they are set as per the "How To Create Midi Files" document written by Larry Cohan. In particular, the 'Techni-Chord-Output' setting in the midi "Input/Output Settings Section" is set to: ON. Is there something I am not setting correctly on the KN5000 or is it just not possible to send the actual "harmony notes" out via midi?

The only way I am currently able to hear the Techni-Chord 'harmony parts' being played during computer sequencer playback is to turn on the Chords (Midi: "Part Setting" page) by setting it to midi channel 11 or other free midi channel) during the initial recording and during playback. The APC Chords are then recorded to the external sequencer and send the correct harmonies back to the KN5000 during playback which in turn trigger the 'Techni-Chord' haromonies to be played back. Of course this is an extremely limited solution as you must use the KN5000 during playback as well and have the "Techni-chord button" with the correct harmony type pre-selected on the keyboard. Recording the APC chords to the computer sequencer also poses another problem. When recording, you must turn OFF the 'Auto Play Chord Input' on the "Input/Output Settings" and then turn it back ON again during playback (a REAL HASSLE). If you don't turn the 'Auto Play Chord Input' OFF during recording, you will not be able to change the APC chords (play a chord progression) while recording. In addition, lots of other weird things begin to happen with the KN5000 and the only solution is to re-initialize the keyboard. YIKES, not worth the hassle!

Anyway, I am interested in getting feedback from others regarding all this. Do you know if it's at all possible to get the Technics KN5000 keyboard to send out 'actual' midi data for 'Techni-Chord' harmony parts?

I look forward to hearing from Larry Cohan and others regarding this.

Happy keyboarding from California (San Francisco Bay Area),

- Scott

#41682 - 02/08/00 02:10 PM Re: KN5000 TECHNI-CHORD "harmony parts": Possible to send out via midi?
Larry Cohan Offline

I'm corresponding with Scott off-line on this because of the need for two-way speedy information.

But we'll post the bottom line once we get there.

Larry

#41683 - 02/10/00 09:52 PM Re: KN5000 TECHNI-CHORD "harmony parts": Possible to send out via midi?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to my ongoing ÔofflineÕ discussion with both Larry Cohan and Bob Hendershot, I have solved the problem of recording KN5000 Techni-chord harmonies to an external software sequencer. When recording your KN keyboard performance to an external software sequencer, it is important to have the software sequencerÕs "midi thru (echo)" turned off. If "midi thru" is left ÔonÕ the midi data that is sent to the external sequencer will be sent right back to the KN keyboard and cause all kinds of erratic and bizarre KN keyboard problems to occur (including losing the function of the KN keyboard to send out (via midi) the Techni-chord harmonies.

There is also an ongoing debate regarding how to set the KN keyboard and external softwareÕs clock. My personal view after weighing both Bob & LarryÕs differing opinions (though both guys make excellent points) is to set the KN keyboardÕs clock to "Internal (master)" and the external sequencer to "Midi (slave)" during the initial recording process ONLY and then switch the settings around (KN keyboard:Midi (slave)/ External Sequencer: Internal (master) during external sequencer post editing and playback.The advantage of making the KN keyboard the Master during initial recording is that you are able to make Ôon the flyÕ tempo changes and panel memory changes from the keyboard (even though the tempo changes are only recorded as System Exclusive commands by the external sequencer). If you want to play back the external sequenced song as a SMF, you will need to later insert any tempo changes manually into the recorded sequence, as System Exclusive commands are only understood by the specific Technics make/model keyboard originally recorded from.

IÕm interested in receiving feedback from others out there who have recorded KN5000 arranger parts (RT1/RT2/ LEFT, Accomp 1,2,3, Drums, Bass, Techni-chord harmonies) to an external software sequencer such as Cakewalk, Logic Audio, Cubase etc. I would be interested in hearing what ÔMidi Settings" are used to make this work.

IÕm also interested in hearing if any of you out there are recording your KN5000 performances to an external sequencer recording RT1/RT2/LEFT using APC Chord & Control tracks to trigger the KN keyboard to play auto-accompaniment patterns along with your realtime performance of RT1/RT2/ LEFT tracks (much the same as can be done in "Easy Record" mode on the KN5000 keyboardÕs internal sequencer itself). The primary advantage here is that post editing is much easier to do on an external computer sequencer than in the KN keyboardÕs internal hardware sequencer. I am most interested in hearing how others have set the KN keyboardÕs ÔMIDI SETTINGS" to accomplish this.

I trust that the results of all these findings will be posted on Bob HendershotÕs "KN5000 How To" page and Larry CohanÕs "How to Create General Midi Files from Technics Musical Instruments" document.

Bob HendershotÕs "KN5000 How To" page: http://home.att.net/~bobgrh/howto.htm

Larry CohanÕs "How to Create GM Midi Files from Technics Musical Instruments": http://users.erols.com/lcohan/technics/

I look forward to reading comments and feedback regarding this.

Happy Keyboarding,

- Scott Yee

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-10-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online