SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#55799 - 12/14/99 06:26 AM KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
a_manvell Offline

Loc: Dayton OH USA
Hi all - I'm a new arrival here and like what I see. I read in several threads that folks are having trouble with the cheap way technics made the music stands on the KN5000. I too had the problems with the plastic part popping off the wire stand. I much preferred the welded metal stand that I had with my old KN2000 which I traded in on the KN5000 - but there is an easy fix. I went to my local hardware store and got a couple of those plastic "Zip Strips" for lack of a better term, black in color. I drilled an 1/8 inch hole in the plastic tray just inside where it clips onto the wire rack and used a zip strip on each side to keep it fastened permanently. It hasn't failed me yet and only cost about a dollar to accomplish. I don't think that drilling the little holes in the plastic has comprimised the strength or integrity of that part enough to be a concern. Hope this helps someone out there.

------------------
Andy

[This message has been edited by a_manvell (edited 12-14-1999).]

#55800 - 12/14/99 06:51 PM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Andy,

Welcome to the Synth Zone Technics Discussion Board.

Your solution to the KN5000 music stand's plastic part continually popping off is simply FANTASTIC!

After reading your suggestion, I immediately went to my local electronics parts store and picked up the self locking ties which you call "Zip Strips".

The black colored ties I purchased are called "cable ties" (self locking) and are Caltronics brand manufactered by Dennison. I drilled a pair of holes as you suggested but mine were 9/64" diameter. I then drilled another pair of 9/64" diameter holes on the plastic tray just inside where it clips onto the wire rack but this time on the "other" surface of the plastic rack. This provides extra added security to keep the rack from moving whatsoever.

Thanks again for sharing your "great" solution to what was such an annoying problem. Thanks to you, I will no longer have to drag a heavy full sized self contained music stand to my gigs.

- Scott

San Francisco Bay Area, CA

#55801 - 12/14/99 07:55 PM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hey Guys, I like your idea. I'll put this on the "How To" pages.
http://home.att.net/~bobgrh

#55802 - 12/15/99 11:28 AM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott & Andy
Does your fix help with the problem of the music racks tendency to slip backward out of the holes over time? I don't travel with my KN5000, but after a few days, I must remember to push the rack forward (all the way into the holes) or it may just end up on the floor. Does your solution tighten up the rack in general to keep it from falling off the back of the instrument?
Tom
PS: Scott, not only are you a great keyboard player, but also handy with power tools, too!

#55803 - 12/15/99 11:48 AM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
a_manvell Offline

Nope - sorry it won't help that problem. I don't have any suggestions for you. I move my KN5000 around so much that I've never noticed this as a problem. Sorry.

------------------
Andy

#55804 - 12/15/99 03:12 PM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tom,

For some reason, 'my' music rack does not slip very easily out of the keyboard's holes at all. I think the reason is because there is some 'spring tension' in the wire rack which keeps the rack from slipping out very easily.
Before inserting the two wire prongs into the hole, I must press the two wire rack ends together slightly, which creates some 'spring tension' and keeps the wire stand from slipping out of the holes very easily.

To solve your problem, I might suggest that you pull (bend) the music rack wire "ends" out away from each other just sligtly. Then, when you insert the wire rack ends into the keyboard holes, you will have to bend the wire rack ends slightly inward towards each other (to create some spring tension) which should keep the rack from sliding very easily in/out of the hole.

Thanks for your kind words about my keyboard playing Tom. Maybe I should consider getting into the handyman business as a backup
Actually all the credit goes to our friend Andy for sharing with us his most ingenious solution to the long going KN5000 music stand 'plastic rack' problem.

Tom, please let me know if my suggestion solves your problem of your music rack sliding out of the holes on the back of your keyboard.

- Scott

#55805 - 12/20/99 04:56 PM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a little solution to the ongoing saga of the KN5000 music stand which is pretty well useless in a "pro" situation. Having to use "wallpaper" charts occasionally I found the stand far too narrow. My solution was to make a "glove" for the stand out of stiff cardboard and at the same time getting rid of that useless plastic music support. Get two pieces of stiff cardboard(I used some from a TV packaging carton)and cut one to say 24"x10.5" and the other to 24"x12.5". Make it bigger if you wish. Glue or use packaging tape to bind them together along the top 3 sides. Make a groove along the longer bottom side and bend to form the music support. Slide over the music stand. Result? It looks terrible but it does work. Perhaps a little creative decorating would help!

#55806 - 12/21/99 05:08 AM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
a_manvell Offline

Wow what a great idea - I never thought my little thread would stimulate so much conversation! I find it humorous (maybe sad) that the makers of such a fine keyboard would send it out with such a cheap, almost useless music stand. I used to own a 2000 and it had a 100% metal stand that was all welded together. If my cheap fix to the cheap plastic part doesn't hold together, I had planned to find a metal working shop or a crafts person who could remanufacture the plastic part in metal and weld it to the wire rack. I really do like the cardboard idea for an extended stand and I'll probably do something similar. Thanks!

------------------
Andy

#55807 - 12/21/99 09:19 AM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
O.k... $.02 more.... I also needed a wider music stand on my keyboards. So, on the Yamaha & the Korg, here's what I did. I had an old piece of plastic floor protector (the kind of mat that goes underneath a wheeled desk chair to protect the carpet). I cut it into 2 pieces about 1 foot high by 2 feet wide (actually a bit wider, I think). I used a jigsaw and it cut very easily. I also rounded off the top corners of the plastic. It sands very easily.
Then I took 2 pieces of scrap wood trim - the kind that is usually used to frame a door - and cut them to the same width as the new racks. I spray painted all the items - the Yamaha ones black and the Korg ones gray. I ran velcro strips on the flat part of the existing music rack for the Yamaha and on the bottom of the wood trim piece and stuck the wood in the space where the music usually sits. Since the wood has an angle to it, it's higher in front than in back which keeps the music from falling forward. It looks & works really good. On the Korg, I didn't even bother with the Velcro. Everything just happened to sit just right without it. Now I have music racks that hold 3+ sheets open at a time, and still looks pretty nice.

#55808 - 12/21/99 02:50 PM Re: KN5000 Music Stand Cheap Fix
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Personally, the only way I can get my music stand to function is to tie it with good strong string to my nephew. I then insist that he stands rigidly still for ever increasing lengths of time. He used to complain bitterly but after time i found that if I placed an unused disk in his mouth that the whinge level did not interfere with the music too much. ;-) Fortunately my brother needs to travel quite a bit so entrusts me (some would say foolishly), with the care of his offspring quite regularly. This method costs little except for incessant request to play 'old macdonald' et al!!!

Of course in reality I am forced to resort to the rather mundane method of bending the prongs so that the wretched thing stay's put. It once flew out in the middle of a rather excellent (in my opinion), rendition of God save the Queen and narowly missed the dog. Now if I sit down to play she makes a quick exit. I prefer to put this behaviour down to the above incident rather than a slur on my musical ability :-))

As ever
Tony. (who has at last posted without asking a question :-)))) )

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online