SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#480110 - 11/08/19 07:54 AM Losing everything from an SD Card
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
A friend of mine turned off his KN7000 keyboard whilst still saving something to his SD Card. The outcome next time he switched on was that the SD Card was completely blank...all the previous stuff he had saved was lost.
Now I seem to remember reading way back about this happening and that there was/is a way of getting all that lost stuff back - does anyone remember ?

#480167 - 11/08/19 10:37 PM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Roger, no answer to your question, but a tip for the future....have a back-up SD card.
I continually back mine up when adding or changing data.

Ray dance

#480172 - 11/09/19 12:32 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Roger.
There are some software that manage to recover lost data as long as the medie is not damaged or fully formatted.
Google is a good helper when try find whatever, maybe this info can be for any help as a start:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-recover-files-from-sd-card-3481659/

https://www.stellarinfo.com/article/sd-card-recovery.php
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#480188 - 11/09/19 06:33 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Thanks chaps...

#480194 - 11/09/19 08:04 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Roger,

Here are some ideas of how I would do this.

1 - Do not write anything onto the card.
2 - Make several backups of the card thus so that it isn't lost and several restore methods can be tried:
-- a - Copy the card onto PC using windows and using KN-SDExplorer (do not let KNSDE try to fix the card at this point).
-- b - Copy the card onto another card using disk copying software such as macrium reflect.
-- c - Make a low-level copy of the card using runtime software's getdataback.
3 - Open the COPY card with KN-SDExplorer. Don't allow it to make a fix. If you can see files in KNSDE you'll be able to copy them to another card using KNSDE.
4 - Try a fix with KNSDE. It will attempt a fix. Usually, only one style will be corrupted, but they might all lose their names.
5 - Try getdataback. I've had the most success with this. It can often find the entire previous version of a card, even if you have formatted it. It is paid-for software. I have it if anyone wants to post a card to me to try.
6 - Worst case - In windows you should be able to see all the files within the PRIVATE folder on the card. They will have nonsense names but they can be copied onto another card (drag and drop on KNSDE), and then renamed.

Finally, everything I said about KNSDE above also applies to Techmanager2000, which is a very comprehensive and professional tool.

Good luck!
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#480262 - 11/10/19 01:49 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Many thanks Mike...

#480335 - 11/10/19 06:50 PM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
It is hard to believe that after all these years with computer's crashing and data lost that people still today don't back up their files. I never do anything on the KN7 that I don't back up on another SD card. It is commons sense.

Mark

#480343 - 11/11/19 02:32 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Accidents can happen to the best, and I guess most of us have had bad experiences and tought 'if I had just done that, this would never happen'...
Experience often makes us wiser. 😉😁
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#480356 - 11/11/19 09:07 AM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

I'll tell him that Gunnar...chuckle.

#480369 - 11/11/19 04:26 PM Re: Losing everything from an SD Card [Re: RMepstead]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
If you have access to a computer you can copy and save SD Cards to named files either on the computer itself or to a PORTABLE HARDRIVE which in an emergency can be copied to a new SD Card. Luckily I've been able to do that since I took delivery of my KN7000. For this purpose, I have a portable 2-Terrabytes "Hitachi Life Studio" hardrive which has all my SD Cards, Floppies, mini disks and my own CDs saved to it complete with their song/music titles. For the safekeeping of my private files, I use a Freecom 400GB Portable Hardrive which also houses my current music gig. Of course the Portable HDs are a little expensive to buy but I've never regretted it, particularly when I lost one of my gig SD cards a few years ago and was able to retrieve it immediately.

I hope this may help in some way - Audrey Turner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online