SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345172 - 05/30/12 06:56 AM Key Repair
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I have finally worn through a couple of keys on one of my KN7000's. There is a rough area on the keys that is distracting when I play. A careful look at the keys shows small indentations rather than a worn area completely through the plastic. I have given thought to opening the KN7000 and switching locations of key octaves which is probably what I will need to do in the future. But there is also the possibility that the area could be repaired temporarily with something like clear fingernail polish.

Before I attempt any repair, I thought I would ask if any of you have done any similar repair on KN7000 keys and if you could offer any ideas you have used.

I think I will begin to ask my students to wash their hands before using the keyboards. I know that body acids can hasten key wear.

#345178 - 05/30/12 09:00 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Hand washing for all users seems like a good plan! How about very thin silky fabric gloves, thin plastic gloves?

If just hand washing, some very nice hand cream would be a good idea as well!

Maybe check with paint people for recommendations rather than jump in with clear nail polish?

When the problem is solved, please let us know Bob! My two 7K's are not getting any younger either! Nor am I! ;-)

Elizabeth

#345179 - 05/30/12 09:03 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Bob , I may be wrong but I'm almost certain that the actual keys can be removed and replaced and are available as a spare part .

Do you actually have the Kn7000 service manual ?
which shows all the component parts .

i live in the Uk so I would contact wd Greenhill if you want the e mail address just drop me a line .

The reason I'm sure the keys can be removed is because a friend of mine did it to his Yamaha PSR3000 and made it into a module .

Regards ....Giovanni

#345181 - 05/30/12 09:24 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Giovanni]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Bob , I've just taken a look at the KN7000 service manual .
The keys can most certainly be removed and replaced and the procedure is explained in the manual complete with picture & instructions !!

Giovanni

#345186 - 05/30/12 10:35 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thanks Elizabeth. Washing - yes. Not sure about lotion. Don't know what chemical interaction might be involved.

Yes, Giovanni, I have a service manual. They appear to be fabricated such that it is easier to change complete octaves than it is to change a single key. Since my problem is in the area where chords are often played, I plan to shift a complete octave from an area that is not used so much to where the bad keys are and put the bad keys in an area where I seldom use them. But that will only be done after I try a simpler method, if there is one.

#345189 - 05/30/12 11:24 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bob, All the answers that were posted have value -- My thought would be to buff the key; the indent will still be there but it will have a smooth feel.

John C.

#345191 - 05/30/12 11:48 AM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Thanks John. I tried that but the indents are apparently too deep. There are many tiny indents rather than a single indent. And, I didn't want to add too much to wear that was already there . . .

#345194 - 05/30/12 01:51 PM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bob Hendershot Offline

I have decided to use the method that Giovanni suggested. It had been a while since I looked at the guts of the KN7000. It's fairly easy to remove one key at a time and switch it with one that is seldom used. That's easier than changing a complete octave.

#345195 - 05/30/12 02:02 PM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bob,

Three of the keys in the Left hand area, of my original KN7000 also have fairly bad indents. I'm sure the cause was the fingernails on my left hand. I do keep them quite short but it seems that the surface of the keys on that KN7000 is very soft.

My second KN7000 has a slightly different looking set of keys and they don't seem to have suffered the same damage. The surface seems to be harder and a slightly different white colour, and the white keys have minor shape differences compared to the other KN7000. I assume that Technics used different 'keybed' suppliers during manufacture.

One of these days, I'll get round to either replacing the keys or as you intend to do Bob - move them........ If I decide to dismantle the KN7000, then I'll change some of the worn buttons on the control panel as well !
I believe W.D. Greenhill in UK has a good supply of spares.

#345198 - 05/30/12 03:40 PM Re: Key Repair [Re: Bob Hendershot]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Bob,

Whatever you do, do NOT use any hand cream/lotions. When my keys began to wear, I complained to Technics and the first question they asked was whether I used hand cream. I confirmed that I regularly use it and was told that certain creams/lotions are known to have an adverse affect on keyboard casings. I immediately stopped putting any creams/lotions on my hands before playing the KN7 but of course, the damage was done.

Audrey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online