SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#345278 - 06/02/12 02:27 AM Pick of the Pops Theme
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Folks , I went to a Keyboard Concert this week and heard a great version of this tune played by Chris Stanbury who was the guest artist .
It brought back memories of my youth in the 1960's ,it was a very popular radio show on the BBC on a Sunday afternoon when Alan Freeman presented his show "Pick of the Pops .
The Theme tune was composed and played by the late Brian Fahey and his Orchestra .

The pick of the pops theme has alternative titles
"at the sign of the swinging cymbol" / AKA "under the sign of the swinging cymbol"

If anyone has a copy tucked away in their library ..from yesteryear I would really love a copy . many thanks .

regards .....Giovanni

#345279 - 06/02/12 02:57 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme [Re: Giovanni]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Check you email Giovanni smile

#345281 - 06/02/12 04:05 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Bill Norrie]
Giovanni Offline

Hi Bill , thanks so much for sending the Mp3 of the theme .
It is very kind of you .

Yes i agree with you, it was annoying when "Alan Fluff Freeman " kept doing a talk over the program theme tune !!

It will be a good reference point and help if I'm lucky to obtain a copy of the sheet music .

In my excitement I forgot to mention I'm looking for the SHEET MUSIC .

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somenoe may have the sheet music tucked away somewhere !!!

I'll not be holding my breath though !!!!

As always I appreciate your help .

Regards ..Giovanni

Ps .. only seems like yesterday that with my friends we would all sit around the Transistor radio and listen to this weekly radio show to hear the top 40 pop tunes !!
it was a show not to be missed !!

#345315 - 06/03/12 02:23 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Giovanni]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Giovanni

The presenters were instructed to talk over the signature tunes so that it discouraged listeners from taping them.
I also went to a Chris Stanbury concert last week and was very impressed.

Regards
Peter B

Edited by peter b (06/03/12 02:27 AM)

#345500 - 06/07/12 09:45 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Giovanni]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Giovanni, The MP3 that Bill sent to you, does it name the tune, if so put it on here and I'll check my many song sheets.

Audrey

#345502 - 06/07/12 10:40 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Audrey Turner]
Giovanni Offline

Hi Audrey , thanks for your reply .

I'm not sure how to send the Mp3 attachment to the Technics forum site , so I've sent it to your private email address .
i hope this is ok .

regards .....giovanni

#345504 - 06/07/12 11:14 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Giovanni]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
"At The Sign Of The Swinging Cymbal" written and performed by Brian Fahey and his Orchestra...

#345592 - 06/11/12 11:14 AM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Giovanni]
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks for your email Giovanni, I'm sorry to say I do not have the dots to the tune you're seeking.

I hope you find what you want - good luck!

Audrey

#345596 - 06/11/12 03:50 PM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Audrey Turner]
Giovanni Offline

Hello Audrey , thanks so much for looking through your music library .

Its one of those elusive tunes that anyone of a certain " age "
will have heard the tune if they live in the UK , finding the sheet music is going to be rather difficult .

i have not even been able to find a midifile of the tune .

I'll keep looking ..who knows what will turn up !!

If I strike lucky in my quest I'll let you know !!

Best Regards ...Giovanni

#345712 - 06/15/12 04:42 PM Re: Pick of the Pops Theme (sheet music ) [Re: Giovanni]
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Giovanni,

I've just had a thought! You have Jack Whites and Cookes Music in Norwich. I haven't visited either for a very long time, but I seem to remember Cookes opened up a SHEET music shop nearly opposite their instrument store, maybe they could get you a copy of the dots.

The last sheet music I bought was from a shop in Bury St. Edmunds (Bonners Music I think it was called) they actually typed in the Title I was after on the computer and it came up with three versions. To my amazement, they were able to play a small extract from each version straight from the computer. I listened to all three and then having made my choice, they were able to print it out for me there and then. The whole purchase was done and dusted in less than 10 minutes - I was greatly impressed with their service I can tell you.

Maybe the Norwich shops use this system now - it's worth making an enquiry at least.

Audrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online