Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69353 - 10/26/09 02:45 AM KN7000
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
G'day,
Question (3).
It has been well published regarding the speed of the SD card. My question is....when downloading from the card takes 3 seconds, why does saving to the SD card take 30 seconds? Am I not doing something right (heaven forbid),if that is not normal,then what should I do or change, to improve the time factor??? Saving to disc normally does not take that long.
(I know I am not perfect, but my parents were).
Question (4) NOOooooooo!!!
Wait for previous answer Ray, they may be exhausted after all that research.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#69354 - 10/26/09 03:56 AM Re: KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
aaah - data in data out relationships eh...
The other thing to say about floppy disks is that they take nearly as long to download into the keyboard as they do to be saved in the first place...
My educated guess Ray would be that in the saving process to SD Card all the data (6 seperate files) is being carefully placed where it can be quickly downloaded subsequently...
Anybody else got any ingenious ideas?
Rog
p.s. You can of course save less parts of the whole - pages 2 and 3 of the save process...

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 10-26-2009).]

#69355 - 10/26/09 06:00 AM Re: KN7000
The Saint Offline

Hi Roger,
It's obvious, your parents were as smart as mine.
I always did save only the data needed, when I had the KN5, and I do not know why I did not apply the same common sense with KN7. Iwas not sure the Kn7 was the same and was hesitant to try it.I have just gone through the exercise and the "save time" has reduced to 13 seconds.(Less than half).
I only save the two Panel Memory files and all is well.
Thanks Roger

------------------
Ray The Saint

#69356 - 10/26/09 07:18 AM Re: KN7000
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Well now Gentlemen.....

Everytime I shut down my home 7K I save everything.....Every option is "yes" except for the panel memory which is "all".....

I do not care how much time it takes nor have I timed it.

My parents were both very bright and I am even brighter!

Elizabeth

------------------

#69357 - 10/26/09 07:45 AM Re: KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Writing to Flash Memory always takes a bit longer than reading from the memory - it's a function of the technology. However, you've found the basic solution to your problem Ray - only save the parts you really need, on Page 2/3. Not only will this result in shorter 'Save' times, but songs or set-ups saved this way will also load faster.

Incidentally, when playing at a gig, and you want to save that little bit extra time when loading the next setup or song from the SD card, try the following:

While you are still playing the current song, at suitable spaces in either left or right hand playing, press the SD Load button, then the 'Load' button and navigate to your next song in the list. Then when you have finished playing the current song, just press the 'Load' button and your next song or set-up, will be loaded, resulting in less 'down-time' between songs.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69358 - 10/26/09 08:09 AM Re: KN7000
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Following on from Bill's point - if you press and hold the 'Load' button it will prepare the next song in the folder ready to load it when you've finished the current one. It automatically hops on to the next file....clever innit...
Rog

#69359 - 10/26/09 09:52 AM Re: KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Forgot to mention that Rog........... Of course that assumes that your files are saved in the order in which you wish to play them

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69360 - 10/26/09 12:02 PM Re: KN7000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
There are many ways to use the KN7000. All of us think our way is best because it fits our style. But, here are some things I think about.

I agree that it was wise to selectively save stuff with older keyboards like the KN5000 because it took so long to load a file from floppy. In those days I would do most anything to avoid loading from disk any more than I had to. In my opinion, though, when you are using the SD card there is so little time to be gained by not saving all the default stuff it isn't worth the difference in time. Try saving a song setup with only the sound files, composer, the current memory, and default panel memories A, B, and C. Load that file and see how much time it takes. Next save the entire default list including the Sequencer, Performance Pads, and Effect Memory. Then load that file and compare the amount of time it takes with the file that has just some of the stuff. There will be less than two seconds difference. Are those two seconds worth the risks of selectively saving like we used to do with older keyboards?

Assume that you have loaded one of Larry or Bill's nice song sequences and after playing that song, you want to load one of your song setups that was selectively saved and did not include the sequencer file. Since you did not load a replacement sequencer file, Larry or Bill's sequence is still in the sequencer and you may well find yourself trying to play one song while a different song is playing in the sequencer. The moral is "Always load a blank sequencer file with each song setup". This clears the sequencer of any left over stuff.

The same can happen with sound or effect memory. When you don't include those options with the save, you will have whatever happens to be there when you load the next song setup. You may well end up with a voice that has digital effects applied that you didn't want, because you left those things the way they happened to be the last time you loaded that file.

These are just some things to think about. I prefer to save and load the entire default list of things. It is much safer and it takes almost no additional time.

In my opinion, there is nothing to be gained by saving all the panel memories instead of just banks A, B, and C. When you save all the panel memories, there is a noticeable increase in save and load time. Loading a song setup from SD card that contains all the default stuff including PM banks A, B, and C takes less than 5 seconds and is just as fast as trying to use the old method of incrementing PM banks to find the bank that contains a setup suitable for your song.

#69361 - 10/26/09 05:24 PM Re: KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

It is interesting to know how other people save and load their work.

I agree with Bob that it is better in the long run to save everything and this can be done all in one go by making sure the EXPAND mode is highlighted.

I also use the ABC panel memories which is usually more than enough but if for instance I'm setting up a programme for a party or dance, I would then use the Banks as once they're loaded, you have instant access to everything on them.

As for loading, for me using the 'numerical' option is the quickest once the SD Card is in place.

Everyone has their own ideas and I would say a lot depends on what you're doing/planning.

Interesting topic though.

Audrey

#69362 - 10/26/09 06:31 PM Re: KN7000
The Saint Offline

Thank you all for the interesting and varied approach to my query.
(1) Settle down Elizabeth.
(2) My original curiosity was aroused because the SD card was so fast in loading, yet slow in saving.
(3)Because I have settings for nearly all songs in my commonly used books,which amount to a few hundred,songs that is,and I have to tweak all those settings from my KN5000 discs,to the Kn7, the few seconds saved each time amounts to a lot of time overall.
Also, I have access to many discs with styles and sounds, which I am saving to the
SD card for reference when I need them, and the extra time taken can be frustrating.
I agree that when closing down after use, that time can be insignificant as a one-off situation.
Isn't it strange, the older I get, the more tolerant and impatient I become.
Great to know you are all so keen to help.
Question (4) is in the pipe-line, and of a similar nature, so hone up your skills and be ready!!!!
I am also attending to big bro's questions when I can be of help to him.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online