SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69050 - 08/21/09 08:51 PM Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello all my SZ friends,

Can someone explain to me the advantages and/or relative differences between recording with Easy Record and Sequencer>Record>Realtime? Since they both exist on the KN 7000, I assume they DO have distinctions. I have recorded, however, in both modes and cannot hear or perceive any difference, so perhaps it is in the editing or "tweaking" of the finished product that there is a distinction.

Thanks for any assistance; I hope the question is not perceived as merely a naive or dumb one.

Happy weekend to all my friends.

TED

#69051 - 08/22/09 02:53 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted,
The Easy Record feature, as I'm sure you know, is just that! Press a few buttons, play your song/tune, save it to SD and that's it! (Apart from maybe a few edits......)
However, this method only allows you to record RT1, RT2, and Left tracks, together with the Chords you play in the APC part and any Control changes which you may make, during the recording, such as Technichord, Panel Memory, Pitch Bend etc.

Having made your initial Easy Record sequence, if you're feeling ambitious, you can then use the Real Time Record facility, to add extra tracks to your existing sequence, such as counter melodies, or additional accompaniment tracks which, for one reason or another, are not within the Style used in the initial sequence. Most of the sequences which I record, use the Easy Record option to lay down the basic structure and then I add 'embelishments' in other tracks, using the Real Time Record facility. Using this method, it is possible to build up a full orchestration, even if the Style used is fairly basic.

Sometimes, I use the Real Time Record option when it is not possible or easy to construct a song, using the Composer Style as a 'Backing'. For example, if a song has brief time signature changes, or the song uses phrases which are greater than 16 measures in length. The Composer is limited to 16 measures in a Variation and you cannot have different time signatures within a single Composer. So, if I wish to record a song which is basically written in say 4/4 time signature, but there are occasional measures of 2/4 within the song, the way I get around this 'Composer Limitation' is to record the entire song using the Real Time Record method. Many of the songs in my latest 'Songs 4U' were constructed in this way, since 'ABBA' have a habit of 'throwing-in' odd 2/4 measures in an otherwise 4/4 time signature. Using this method, still allows me to play any of these songs 'Live' since the full sequencer is actually providing the accompaniment backing, instead of the Composer or a Built-In Style. Tracks RT1, RT2 and Left are left blank so that I can play along with the other recorded tracks, just as if they were a Composer Style.

One member of our Forum, Larry Gosmeyer, uses the Real Time Record method in all his recordings and it would be worthwhile downloading some of Larry's songs and looking at the way he produces his sequences. Sometime ago, Larry produced a very comprehensive Tutorial on how he approached making his recordings. I have a copy of the tutorial and with Larry's permission, I can forward it to you.

Hope this helps Ted

Cheers

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69052 - 08/22/09 06:43 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Hi Bill,

Please forward a copy of my tutorial to anyone you would like to.

Thanks,

Larry

#69053 - 08/23/09 08:41 PM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Bill (and, by extension, Larry),

As always, you provided a very precise and clear response and explanation to my query. I really think I now understand the differences between these two recording methods. I wasn't aware that it was possible to use the Easy Record and then, subsequently, follow it up with the RealTime process in the Sequencer mode, but now it is clear to me and I will be trying to use the technique, as you suggest. Up to now, I have never delved into the Composer--(after all, I am not really a musician in any sense of the word with no musical training, but just a rank amateur who plays strictly by ear and tries to record what I hear in my head).

It is great how much I have learned from the SZ Forum and so many times, from the great information both of you, among others, frequently provide.

Finally, as suggested (and approved by Larry), I would indeed appreciate a copy of the Tutorial you mentioned to clarify even further.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond; you are the greatest and I sincerely appreciate your constant and consstent SZ posts and personal notes.

TED

#69054 - 08/24/09 04:29 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

Check your email Ted

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#69055 - 08/24/09 07:33 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill
May I have a copy ?

#69056 - 08/25/09 03:40 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Bernie,

Check your mail.............

Aldous Huxley

#69057 - 08/25/09 07:09 AM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
BILL..... and LARRY

Please send a copy for me as well. I need all the help available!
It is wonderful that you are always so willing to help....You are greatly appreciated.... Thank you...

Elizabeth

#69058 - 08/25/09 03:26 PM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Bill Norrie Offline

On its way Elizabeth.............

Aldous Huxley

#69059 - 09/04/09 01:15 PM Re: Sequencer vs. Easy Record
Jene Offline

Loc: Helena, Georgia, USA
Bill ....
May I please have a copy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online