SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61512 - 01/19/05 11:28 AM My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Technics Keyboard friends: Thought you guys might be interested in reading my review of the "MusicPad Pro" which I purchased recently:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009959.html

I plan to bring it along to the Florida Synthzone Jam http://home.earthlink.net/~eastcoastjam/ and utilize it when performing.

Scott

#61513 - 01/19/05 12:45 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Scott - great review I look forward to seeing the real thing in April. However, being a non-reader, all these hieroglyphics don't mean much to me

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61514 - 01/19/05 04:24 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Thanks, Scott. I'm also anxious to see your new gadget. Guess it's time for me to start converting all my Lime lead sheets to .pdf so they will easily copy to the Music Pad. . . I am a slave to lead sheets and can't play without them. I noticed that the thing weighs 6 pounds and is about 10 by 13 inches. I assume that gives about an 8.5 by 11 inch display. I couldn't find that specific display data.

#61515 - 01/19/05 06:42 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bob,the actual screen dimensions of the MusicPad Pro is: 7-5/16" x 9-3/4". Interestingly enough, even though the screen size is less than 8-1/2 x 11, the actual music display size can actually match (or be viewed larger) than the original sheet music itself. This is possible because you are able to easily CROP out the 'border margins' of the original sheet music. The MusicPad Pro actually includes an automated CROPPING utility which will do this automatically for you. For example, in the pic of the music displayed on the MusicPad Pro at the top of this thread: when switched to PERFORMANCE mode, only the music itself (no borders) are displayed. This makes the music score viewing size equal to or larger than the orginal sheet music itself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
I am a slave to lead sheets and can't play without them.

Bob, I understand your feeling because I came from an early background of READING music as well. I had to later go back and learn to play by ear.

Bob, though there's nothing wrong with using lead sheets, here's a secret to playing by ear (right Bill? ). Once you memorize a song's chord progression (start with a simple I-IV-V7 song, you should then be able to more easily pickout the melody by ear. Keep in mind that song melody are built on chords and harmony, and that the notes of the melody are most always one of the notes in the associated chord, or the chord's related scale.

Once you learn your first song by ear using this method, learning subsequent songs this way get easier and easier. Have fun.

Bill, Bob, and all other FL SZ attendees. Looking forward to seeing you guys in April.

- Scott

#61516 - 05/04/05 05:29 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
MeBob Offline

Loc: Clermont,Florida,USA
Scott and Bob....Sue says you guys are a BAD INFLUENCE.
After seeing Bob's MusicPad Pro (demonstrated by Scott) at the East Coast Jam last month, I was convinced that it was 'a must have' for Sue. She is strictly a 'reader' and the MPP would free her from 'books and paper'.
Well anyway, she strongly resisted because of the cost. BUT....I didn't give up.
When I told our friend (who wasn't at the Jam) about it, he had one the next week.
The other day Sue had a chance to actually use his MMP (she entertains at a local Alzheimers facility, where his wife resides) and after 3 weeks of my nagging, she was finally convinced. I'll have to admit that it was a PLOT (don't tell Sue) between our friend and me....and it worked. Sue's MPP should be here next week. I've already started scanning Sue's music, so she'll be ready to start using it the day it arrives.
P.S. to Scott and Bob: I'll contact you seperately about any tricks you guys might use for scanning/file format etc. (don't want to clutter up the forum).....unless others are interested.

Bob and Sue

#61517 - 05/04/05 06:20 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi--

I am also interested in pursuing this gadget as I a rely on lead sheets and was impressed with Scott's unit @ the Lady Lk. event. I have music spread out all over my condo and I always have to re sort and organize.
Yes, the cost is an issue, but I wonder how long it will be b-4 we see the price subside and/or improvments implemented as this seems to be a new item.
To anyone who has one, is there any area of improvement needed in your opinion for perhaps the next version?

Mark/Orlando, Fl

#61518 - 05/04/05 03:20 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

What is this music gadget about? What does it do? How does it work? How/When is it used? How much does it cost? .... I haven't heard of this before and would like to know more about it as I amd sure many other members would.

Could someone please give all details in "plain" english please?

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#61519 - 05/04/05 04:13 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello All,

What is this music gadget about? What does it do? How does it work? How/When is it used? How much does it cost? .... I haven't heard of this before and would like to know more about it as I amd sure many other members would.
Hello Audry,
I should take delivery of the MusicPad Pro tomorrow, I see that you live in Cambridge, I live in Colchester, now the nearest dealer for us in the UK is a company in Holland named Care4music, the Email address that I have been using is bas@care4music.nl
if you just type into Google Care4music you will get all the details and there are also Getting Started Pages and a load of Help files.
All the best,
Johnny.

Could someone please give all details in "plain" english please?

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#61520 - 05/04/05 05:16 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Audrey, you can find more details at http://freehandsystems.com/ . The gadget is simply a display device that can contain your entire music library in a relatively small package compared to managing all those books. The memory capacity is only limited by the size of USB Jump Drive that you have. (It also works with the SD card reader that I have been using with my KN7000 files)

Mark, I don't expect to see any significant reduction of the price of the MPP in the near future. It is, after all, a computer with a somewhat limited sales market.

#61521 - 05/04/05 06:52 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
freehandsystem
I have seen this system, I feel it's good, I can see the value for the pro player.
Some buts:
1-The price is not for everyone -- if you are using it to earn dollars, OK. If your budget allow, OK.
2-There are pros who are using a laptop for this purpose -- It is not as friendly for music, but they can be used for many other purposes. I keep only music related/needed programs in my laptop. I can arrange my music in many different ways -- only limited by my imagine.
It is time for me to cut back on my pro work and play at nursing homes -- and at home for my own pleasure --- if I bought one, I would lose my laptop capabilities.

If it was 1990 again, I would buy one.

Just my thoughts, John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online