SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52941 - 11/28/06 07:22 PM Adding a machine to the KN7000
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Has anyone connected a drum unit like the Boss to the Kn7000 using midi?
You set the Kn7000 as master, allowing it to control the stop and start and the tempo. The volume is either on the unit itself, a mixer or on the Kn7000.

Now the fun;
1-You can substitute any of the unit’s drum sets in place of the Kn7000 drum sets. The volume of the Kn drums must be turned down. Or---- you can leave the KN’s drums at the desired volume and use the drum unit to add to the Kn style.

Since the drum unit is being controlled by the Kn7000 the automatic unit can now have the same function as the pads. Imagine adding bongo riffs to one of your latins or a heavy bass drum and snare drum to your 2-step. The units normally have hundreds of drum styles/tracks, you just simply add and enjoy.

My friend has a Latin drum machine which has authentic Latin drum sounds. His Latin music on the KN7000 sounds fantastic.

Just to enjoy.
John C.

#52942 - 11/28/06 07:25 PM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000

The age is showing, I forgot the word DRUM in the name of the post, sorry.

John C.

#52943 - 11/29/06 03:43 AM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John,

I went the other Way
Since I like to create my own styles for many songs/tunes which I play, I find that even though I am a drummer, it is difficult to achieve realistic drum 'figures' and tracks, just using the keys on the KN7000. About a year ago, I bought a Drum Machine www.zzounds.com/item--YAMDD55 which allows me to actually play the drum part in real time, using sticks on pads. The unit is connected to the KN7000 via MIDI and can be configured to actually trigger any of the KN7000's own drum kits.
This allows me to create a drum part either in the Composer, or as a dedicated track in the Sequencer. Each individual pad on the DD55 kit, can be programmed to trigger any one of the KN7000's drum sounds. The DD55 is also supplied with two foot switches to simulate the 'Kick Bass Drum' and 'Hi-Hat', so using the unit is quite similar to playing a Real drum kit.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#52944 - 11/29/06 12:24 PM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Bill,

What you are saying about the drums sounds very interesting indeed. Is there a sample of you playing using this setup on your site? If not, is there a possibility of you producing one. I know nothing of drumming but once dated a Drummer who could not resist the opportunity to play. He would tap anything and everything in sight. He was in the Navy and his mates nicknamed him "Squeak" because he could actually make whatever it was he was playing on, sound very loud or just a whisper. Needless to say he was also a great dancer which I loved and still do.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Audrey

#52945 - 11/29/06 04:36 PM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Audrey,
You can hear a couple of examples of the drum tracks created on the Yamaha DD55 in some of my Songs4U. In volume 6, 'Scotland the Brave' (Bagpipes and Drums) and also in Volume 7 there are two further examples - 'The Barren Rocks of Aden' and 'Flower of Scotland' - again Bagpipes and Drums. Trying to create these kind of drum tracks using the keys or even in Step time would be very difficult............

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley

#52946 - 11/30/06 03:31 AM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000

Willum,
A great idea, as usual. Some of us do not have the ability to play drums and need a bit of help. I feel putting some of you drum loops on the pads; some for Latin music – some for Big Band and whatever, would add to everyone’s keyboard playing. Just adding a bass drum or a snare or both can change the color of a song.
I tried adding a drum machine because I’m short on drumming talent. Your drumming talent makes a drum machine obsolete.

Life is good
John C.

#52947 - 12/04/06 01:42 PM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
talking about machines....
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/PressReleaseDetail/0,,CNTID=544028&CTID=,00.html

No further comment

------------------

#52948 - 12/05/06 04:15 AM Re: Adding a machine to the KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Only because Technics have stopped making Keyboards

Aldous Huxley

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online