SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#61776 - 03/02/04 03:10 AM Be Warned !
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
There is a spoof email circulating, which appears to originate from members of Synthzone. It contains a variety of text in the body of the email, including the words "password for archive: " followed by a 5 digit number (eg 65136). The email also has a Zipped attachment which contains an 'exe' file.
I believe that this originates from some Idiot, who is harvesting email addresses from Synthzone and other places on the Internet and then forcing his email program to send these messages out, with false originator addresses. The aim is to trick recipients into believing that the email is from a known friend and assuming that they believe this, they are likely to trust the attached file. I have no idea what the 'exe' file does, if executed - I didn't try it! I searched several Anti-Virus sites for the names of the ZIP file and the exe file, but found no references. It could be some kind of harmless joke, but I would advise against opening the file - JUST BIN IT !!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61777 - 03/02/04 05:29 AM Re: Be Warned !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I received one last night supposedly from my sister ... the attachment said something about 'photomontage', but the text of the e-mail didn't seem right... I tried to open it anyway (well it was from my SISTER!!, or so I thought) and fortunately my McAfee caught it .. I believe the virus has has the word 'bagel' in its name ....
t.

#61778 - 03/02/04 06:23 AM Re: Be Warned !
Bill Norrie Offline

Further to my original post, I have recently been experiencing some problems with some emails being sent to me, being bounced back to the sender. After some investigation, it would appear that my ISP (Freeserve in UK) is responsible for the problem. I have included below, the substance of their response. So, if anyone intends to send an email to a freeserve or fsnet email address, then they should avoid using the words listed below, in the 'Subject' line.
Quote :
"Due to the virulent nature of the MyDoom Virus In order to limit the
spread of this virus and protect our customers the following Subject
Lines in emails are being blocked.

Where the subject line specifically contains only the following

Test
Hi
Hello
Mail Delivery System
Mail Transaction Failed
Server Report
Status
Error
URGENT ASSISTANCE
INHERITANCE CLAIM
LETTER FROM DR CHRIS
CAN I TRUST YOU
"

End of Quote

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#61779 - 03/02/04 07:09 AM Re: Be Warned !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Those mails are floating around now, also got one there i.e. Nigel are the sender,
and we all know that is not him that send it.
Just delete, don't even think about open any of it.

Mailwasher is a great software to use, the stuff don't even reach the PC

GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#61780 - 03/02/04 12:49 PM Re: Be Warned !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I use Mailwasher and on average I delete about 5 virus each day that never are downloaded to my computer for the virus program to attack.
I am pleased with Mailwasher.
Bebop

#61781 - 03/02/04 03:40 PM Re: Be Warned !
Bill Norrie Offline

I too use Mailwasher and it is a great safety net However, it won't stop someone who is determined to download what they believe to be a genuine email

Aldous Huxley

#61782 - 03/02/04 08:42 PM Re: Be Warned !
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Viruses simply pull email addresses from address books and web pages to fake the sender of the email. I have even had emails supposedly from myself that contained viruses. Usually looking at the email header confirms it came from somewhere else though but the emails are usually pretty obvious fakes. Never open an attachment unless you are very sure about what it maybe. And even then I'd still run a virus check before opening it.

Never believe it really comes from the sender that it says because that can be so easily forged.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online