SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57143 - 09/19/03 10:45 AM SD save: smf vs technics?
desertrain97 Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA 18020
Can somone tell me the main advantages of saving a sequence file as sd sound vs technics? I'm not hearing too much difference in sound quality between the two when played back and load time appears to be the same as well..From my little experience with it is as follows: if you save the song as a technics file on the sd card, you can alter volumes on each track when playing it back live. the disadvantage is only 3 user groups? If saved to SD sound, you cannot alter individual track volumes but you can have access to larger play lists. I'm sure there are other pro's and con's as I eventually want to add real audio tracks to my sequences so I'm unsure what format would be best? One think I noticed is that when you save a sequence as SD audio, the changes in sound (such a key shift) that were altered under part setting do not carry over. any input on this topic would be appreciated!

#57144 - 09/19/03 11:17 AM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
SD Sound is another name for Midi.(Boy, I remember, it took me a while to get that through my head) By saving as a Midi, the files can play on practically any keyboard or computer, being that it is a universal format for all.

Saving in Technics Format on the 7000, will only play on the KN7000

Another advantage of saving your Midi files as SD Sound, you can use the Controls on the Chrome Console under that cool blue light.

And... I'm pretty sure that SD Sound (midis)files take up less space on your SD Card then Technics formatted files.

Now... the above comments apply only if you start out with a midi file. If you Easy Record a Sequence, I don't see any reason to save as a SD Sound (midi)

Another words, what I do is: Generally If it starts out as a Technics file, I save as a Technics file. If it starts out as a midi file, I save as a Midi file(SD Sound)...unless..I want to include that midi file(SD Sound) in with a folder that contains Technics formatted files, then I would save that midi file, as a Technics File.

I'm sure there are other advantages for saving Midis as SD Sound, rather then Technics, maybe some other members would want to comment.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#57145 - 09/19/03 03:01 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
if you're planning on incorporating audio files ( ie mp3's)in your sequences, I'm pretty certain you'd have to save them as kn sequencer files.
Also you'll need something like the
Panasonic Sd PC Audio Writing Kit which includes an SD Card Reader/Writer & PC Software.

Alec's book

Getting the Most from Your KN7000 ( Technote)

would be pretty usefull for you also.

In the early days most of us had to muddle our way thru working out the sd card functions, audio etc, the book above really simplified things for us, plus the styles from prior keyboards ( in custom style format) are on the cd that comes with the book, saves downloading them from the kn7000 website.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by desertrain97:
Can somone tell me the main advantages of saving a sequence file as sd sound vs technics? I'm not hearing too much difference in sound quality between the two when played back and load time appears to be the same as well..From my little experience with it is as follows: if you save the song as a technics file on the sd card, you can alter volumes on each track when playing it back live. the disadvantage is only 3 user groups? If saved to SD sound, you cannot alter individual track volumes but you can have access to larger play lists. I'm sure there are other pro's and con's as I eventually want to add real audio tracks to my sequences so I'm unsure what format would be best? One think I noticed is that when you save a sequence as SD audio, the changes in sound (such a key shift) that were altered under part setting do not carry over. any input on this topic would be appreciated!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57146 - 09/19/03 07:32 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
lahawk Offline

Rikki,
I believe any type of music file, inluding midis can be converted to MP3'S. Just record the midis on your computer, save as an MP3, then save as SDAudio with Jukebox.

Of couse, I'm not sure why one would want to go through all that work. I'm not sure if the actual sound would be any better. Plus, SD Audio takes up tons of space on the SD Card.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#57147 - 09/20/03 04:37 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Larry,
no doubt you're right, but what I was actually trying to say( in my own muddled way haahaa) was, that if you wanted to use an audio file ( derived from a midifile, or a sequenced song, or an audio loop etc) to play in sync with a kn file, your kn file would have to be recorded as a technics sequencer file (not a midifile) so that the audio file can play along in sync, ie
record your song,
then play an audiofile in sync with your song.
Purpose of the audio file is to add parts or sounds that don't exist in the kn ie add an audio drum loop, add an audio vocal track, add an audio live guitar strum etc etc

I totally agree that it's not worth saving a normal kn midifile or sequenced song as an audiofile because of the space it takes up, but when you find something special, then it's worthwhile.

I actually had a friend record some backing tracks for me to play along with. He recorded them on his Wersi as a wav file, I then converted them to an mp3 for use in the kn7 as an audio file. In short, I had his wersi playing the backing song and I played the melody using the kn7. Sort of a music minus one setup.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Rikki,
I believe any type of music file, inluding midis can be converted to MP3'S. Larry Hawk

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57148 - 09/20/03 06:43 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
lahawk Offline

Rikki,

Yes you are right....the possiblities are endless...and you can play along with someone like Frank Sinatra singing..how cool is that?

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#57149 - 09/20/03 07:07 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Yes you are right....the possiblities are endless...and you can play along with someone like Frank Sinatra singing..how cool is that?

HI, I have carried a Mini Disk Player for songs I could do no justice to.
Hot, Hot, Hot--Electric Slide--ect.

I bought a 256Mb card at a cost of $69.98. The songs that were on the Mini Disk Player are now recorded in the my K7, I no longer carry the Mini player to the job.
Nice!! one less piece to carry.

Have a great day, John C.

#57150 - 09/22/03 05:43 AM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
desertrain97 Offline

Thanks for all of the feedback...I'm up to 38 sequenced songs converted from my KN5000 to the KN7000..(updating all of the sounds and stuff)...From what I'm hearing, its best to save in technics mode....once all my files are converted and saved as kn7000 files, I'll be interested in saving audio files and having them play back (in snync) with the sequencer...I already purchased the SD writing kit and the extended manual from technote,,,will I also need something like cakewalk home studio?? My real interest is to record live backing vocals and even some guitar to fire along with some of my sequences..this of course is part 2 once I have all my songs saved as kn 7000 files, Since I'm new to the real audio world, any advise would be helpful...Thanks MG

#57151 - 09/22/03 02:23 PM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
if you're after a sequencer that's fairly inexpensive, check out the demo on Pg's Power Track Audio.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ptdemo.htm

I'm fairly certain cakewalk would have some sort of a demo too.

You may actually find you don't really need a sequencer depending on what you want to do.

Personally, I'd work my way thru alec's extended kn7 manual first, and then see if you really require a sequencer program.

The power tracks demo's give you a pretty good idea of how it works.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by desertrain97:
[B
will I also need something like cakewalk home studio??

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57152 - 12/02/03 11:46 AM Re: SD save: smf vs technics?
desertrain97 Offline

HELP!! OK, I walked through Alec's tutorial and most of it makes sense in terms of mixing sequences and real audio files, but I'm confused as to how you get there!

I think I may need to purchase cakewalk or some other sequencer program unless someone can show me the error of my ways in what I'm trying to do.

I have sequenced programs saved as technics files. Now I would like to add backing vocal tracks to it (real audio) but I do not want to convert the entire sequenced file to a real audio (MP3) because of storage space; only the vocals. My confusion is with timing...how can you record live vocals or live guitar through the KN7000, with the sequenced file playing along for timing, and only record the vocals?

The only way I think it could be done in my situation is to convert the sequenced file to midi, load it on a PC with a sequencer program like cake walk, play the sequenced song on the PC while recording real audio vocals (in real time with the sequenced file), saving only the audio parts as wav file, and go through juke box to put on the SD card and sync with the original sequencer on the KN 7000...

When I first heard about recoding live vocals and instruments along with the KN7000 I thought there would be a way to do it without making the whole file an MP3 right off the bat..I also thought there would be a way to just record a 5 measure vocal part (real audio) and assign it to play at measure 45 to 49 as an example...Any assistance would be appreciated...Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online