SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56201 - 09/30/03 09:52 PM Rhythm Track
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I'm confused about this track.

How and when does one use this track? For what purpose? Is is very useful? Is there a way to set a fill-in in the middle of measure when using this track?

What's the difference using this track vs the CTL track?

Anthony

#56202 - 10/03/03 11:48 AM Re: Rhythm Track
AnthonyCian Offline

What no takers? There's got to be somebody who can spread some light about the Rhythm track? I do know that it is strictly used with step record. If the control track can accomplish what this track can do and more, then why have it?

Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to understand.

Anthony

#56203 - 10/03/03 12:49 PM Re: Rhythm Track
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Anthony,

I am going to try to shed some light on your plea from the wilderness for help. You are correct in saying the RHYTHM track is used in the STEP RECORD mode only. I have never used STEP RECORD. However, that doesn't disqualify me from offering some observations based on what my manual says.

The RHYTHM TRACK and CONTROL TRACK record the following events: Rhythm settings and selection changes; Fill-in 1 & 2; Intro & Ending 1 & 2; Start/Stop; and Tempo setting. As you are already aware, the CONTROL TRACK also records a whole host of other "events/selections". The TRACK ASSIGN function gives you latitude to change information on all tracks if I am interpreting what I read correctly. Therefore, it seems to me that RHYTHM information can be assigned to a track other than the dedicated (or preset) RHYTHM track, but if you do that, the information will be stored in the track assigned and not in the dedicated RHYTHM track. And if that is so, then you should be able to store non-rhythm information in the dedicated RHYTHM track using the TRACK ASSIGN function. My manual says "The CONTROL, APC, CHORD and RHYTHM parts cannot be assigned to more than one track." It does not say that the storage of that information is restricted to those tracks so named. I believe the situation may be different when using EASY RECORD or REALTIME RECORD, but I have no information about that one way or the other.

I am assuming after doing all of this reading that when you are using STEP RECORD, the CONTROL TRACK will not be storing rhythm settings and selections, fill-ins, intros, endings, start/stop events, or tempo settings because the RHYTHM track is storing that information. It wouldn't make sense (not to me anyway) to duplicate the storage of that information in the CONTROL TRACK as well.

Maybe Alec, Bill Norrie, or John North will want to comment and correct any misinformation or wrong assumptions I've given here. One thing for sure, though I have never used the step record feature, I've learned something by reading my manual and it may help me in the future.

I probably haven't given you the answers you are seeking, but at least it is a beginning.

Best Regards, Chuck

#56204 - 10/03/03 11:24 PM Re: Rhythm Track
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi Chuck!

...Thanks for taking a stab at this...

Understanding the concept of the Rhythm Track can be a challenge. I read the manual and as usual it really doesn't explain this to where I can understand it.

I been downloading KN6000-KN7000 songs from the forum users here and I noticed 95% are not using the Rhythm track (I never use it) & you said you never use it. I think it's one of the features least used and curious as to why. I believe most people choose Easy Record and really ignore the rhythm track. If that's the case, why have it?

Maybe this is for the high end professional user that knows sequencing more in depth and prefers to use the Step Record method.

Track Assign is for changing tracks around. It doesn't matter if the Rhythm track is 7 or 12, it's the fact that it exists. Still a person can get rid of it using Track assign and be done with it. But that's not my point, eventhough I maybe giving that impression. I just would like to know, if the control track can do everything that the Rhythm track can plus more. Why is there a Rhythm track?

Doing progressions using the Rhythm track and Chord Track. Where do you set a fill-in on Beat 2 in measure 7???

Thanks, Anthony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online