SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#48693 - 09/30/03 11:06 AM kn7000 1st week Impressions
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
HI everyone,

Let me say it’s been an interesting week and I've come to realize this Lil darlin has a bit of a learning curve. I got the Getting the most from your KN 7000 book from technote yesterday so we will see if that helps any. I just thought I would share some of the first impressions I have with you folks.

My Favorites sounds.

The organs - organ - more organs - well you get the idea I'm not totally enamored with the draw bars but they are one big step ahead of the PSR 2000 that I had. The theatre organ sounds really blew me away they have this nailed in pretty darned good. The following are my impressions on the rest of the sound groups.

Excellent

Organs
Brass
Strings
Vocals - Really shine.
Accordion
Pads

very good

Pianos
World

Decent
Mallet & orchestra

Help

Woodwinds sound to much alike, hard to tell a sax from a clarinet my feeling is that my problem with these is that the effects need a little work. The tenor Sax is great.

I like the styles much more then the ones I had on the PSR 2000 except for a couple.

Navigation - jury is still out but so far I am getting around quite well. The PSR 2000 was better & quicker for navigation.

I will be setting up the SD card today it is 128 meg so that should eliminate any floppy swapping.

So far so good. This compliments my Geneys very well. Crazy hobby this stuff, but it keeps me off the streets.

I look forward to getting to know some of you folks a little better.

Jerry

#48694 - 09/30/03 11:41 AM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Well Jerry, welcome aboard. You have a lot of posts under your belt, so they must have come from one of the other forums, eh? If you go back a few pages in these posts, you will find answers to most of the questions you'll have regarding the SD card. Happy playing!!

#48695 - 09/30/03 01:26 PM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
HI everyone,

Let me say it’s been an interesting week and I've come to realize this Lil darlin has a bit of a learning curve. I got the Getting the most from your KN 7000 book from technote

Try & get the first book by Alec Pagida Titled How Do I Do That
although it was written primarily for the KN 6000/65 most of it is also relevant to the KN 7000

#48696 - 09/30/03 03:01 PM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Jerry,
great to hear you're enjoying your new kn7.

If there's any styles that you really miss from your PSR, you could try using the sequencer to style function , and recreate it from a midifile. ( Is a fair bit of work , though, and they don't usually sound as good as the original).

If it's your first kn keyboard, you'll find you'll soon get the hang of how it all works. I found it one of the easiest brands to navigate.

Enjoy.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mainer:
[B]HI everyone,

I like the styles much more then the ones I had on the PSR 2000 except for a couple.

Navigation - jury is still out but so far I am getting around quite well. The PSR 2000 was better & quicker for navigation.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48697 - 10/01/03 11:46 AM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
HI everyone,

Let me say it’s been an interesting week and I've come to realize this Lil darlin has a bit of a learning curve. I got the Getting the most from your KN 7000 book from technote yesterday so we will see if that helps any.

Jerry,

You have to take into consideration that the features of the KN7000 far exceed those of any Yamaha arranger, even the Tyros and 9000 Pro, therefore there is a bit of a learning curve initially but not a big one. The KN7000 is by no means a difficult instrument to master and once you become familiar with the Technics "speak," you'll navigate the KN without a problem. Be sure to delve into all the KN has to offer and I am certain you'll be even happier with it.

I'm a bit surprised you feel the woodwind sounds are weak as I found them to be better than those on my 9000 Pro. Yamaha has a decent sweet soprano sax but Yamaha's other woodwinds and most of the string sounds are very weak in my opinion. I quite liked the KN's oboe, saxes, and even many of the wind sections. Try using the KN's sound edit function to alter filters, FX, and velocity curves and you should be able to tailor the sounds to your liking. In addition the KN7000 offers you four sound card slots to install even more sounds should you feel the need for more. Only the Yamaha 9000 Pro has similar capabilities (two sound slots) and the Tyros has none.

Once you become familiar with the KN's functions, especially the sequencer, style, and sound edit functions, you'll see how limited Yamaha really is compared to the KN.

#48698 - 10/01/03 06:49 PM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:

the features of the KN7000 far exceed those of any Yamaha arranger, even the Tyros and 9000 Pro

Woah. There's a bit of conjecture, huh!
I happen to aggree about the orchestral voices, but Yamaha is no slouch in the acoustic rhythm instruments section. There is also a huge advantage in the Tyros/psr lineup where drum sounds are concerned.(yeah, yeah.... more opinions). Many of my friends that heard the kn7k thought that the drums were less than stellar.

I'd rate drum tones in this order:
(not styles, just tones)

1)Ketron/Korg?Tyros
2)Roland VA/PSR/Gem
3)Technics/Casio/Farfisa

As for the styles themselves..... too subjective. Ketron, PA80, Tyros, VA7 all seem to be at the top of my list for groove and feel.

Tough subject - keep playing Jerry, and give us more input after you get your key-legs !

#48699 - 10/01/03 09:36 PM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Uncle Dave,
maybe the kn drum sounds, actually sound too realistic, and people aren't used to that( haahaa)
No offense, but as for rating va7 drums above kn7. I dragged the va7 out the other day, to give it another try ( plain haven't warmed to it yet). Took me a couple of minutes to realize that it was brush drums playing in the background, whereas what it sounded like, was a buzz in the speakers.

I personally prefer the kn7 sounds to my ex 9000pro also.

Maybe it's just the fantastic kn7 speaker system that makes the keyboard sound so great.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s.
Uncle Dave, you really know how to bait us one eyed Technic Fans haahaa.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
There is also a huge advantage in the Tyros/psr lineup where drum sounds are concerned.(yeah, yeah.... more opinions). Many of my friends that heard the kn7k thought that the drums were less than stellar.

I'd rate drum tones in this order:
(not styles, just tones)

1)Ketron/Korg?Tyros
2)Roland VA/PSR/Gem
3)Technics/Casio/Farfisa

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48700 - 10/02/03 01:53 AM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Jerry, I have a KN7000 and a Tyros.

I have heard that if you really believe in your religion, all other religions are false.
No comment here!

Not so with keyboards, each one has something special to offer.

IMHO--The KN7000 is a fine, beautiful keyboard. I feel if you do not compare it to other keyboards, you are on your way to fully enjoy what you have bought. When they created the Kn7000, they viewed music and keyboards in a special way. Stay within that, AND YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Enjoy, John C.

#48701 - 10/02/03 02:04 AM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
Bluebird Offline

Ensnareyou wrote:

You have to take into consideration that the features of the KN7000 far exceed those of any Yamaha arranger, even the Tyros and 9000 Pro... Once you become familiar with the KN's functions, especially the sequencer, style, and sound edit functions, you'll see how limited Yamaha really is compared to the KN.
-------------------------------------------

Well, Is your opinion only comparing KN7000 with Tyros and 9000Pro, or is it about all Yamahas and all KN?.

In short, do you think KN2600 features far exceded those of PSR2100? I would like to know your opinion about these two keyboards and in what KN is better.

They have similar price, and I think buy one of them.
Thanks.

#48702 - 10/02/03 09:43 AM Re: kn7000 1st week Impressions
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bluebird: Your question is like asking me, how is my wife compared to my neighbor's wife. The answer has to be, "I won't know till I life with each one for a while".

I played the KN7000 many times before I bought it, it was not until many weeks after I bought it was I able to realize/understand what the keyboard was capable of doing.

IMHO--I feel the question to be asked is;
What did they design that keyboard to do? What is the main thought behind this keyboard? And----What are my needs.

I have the Kn7000 and the Tyros---They both approach the music subject differently.

Tells us your needs in a keyboard, and what you want it do, then the answers you get will help you in your search.

Good Shopping, This is fun, John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online