SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53788 - 08/01/03 10:28 AM Transposing midi files
Tony Lawton Offline

Loc: England
Hi, I enjoy playing along to midi files (or parts of) on my Kn6500, but very often the midi file is not in the key that I want to play in. Of course if I push the transpose button ALL play back and live is transposed which defeats the object. Can any one advise how I can transpose the midi file without affecting the key of the live performance?
Thank you
Tony

#53789 - 08/01/03 11:10 AM Re: Transposing midi files
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Tony
If I understand you correctly you want to transpose a midi file to a key to suit your playing. If so, Program Menu>Sequencer>Range Edit>Transpose.
Transpose ALL tracks from 1st to Last measure of the midi file + or - 1 for each semitone (Eb to C would be -3) Then select the drum track (normally 10) and change it back to it's orignal key (+3 in the example shown) otherwise the drum track will not play correctly.
John

#53790 - 08/01/03 11:46 AM Re: Transposing midi files
FlutteringBy Offline

Loc: Northern Canada
Hi Tony,

In addition to John's excellent advice, you could transpose your tunes in advance, on your computer & then resave them to disk....

When I want to transpose or change the tempo of a midi file, I use vanBasco's Karoke Player...its a free download (approx. 676 Kb) at:
http://www.vanbasco.com

You can also mute or solo instruments with it & plays all midi files in addition to the karoke files....I've used it for a couple of years & have had no problem with it...

When I want to transpose or change the tempo of a Mp3 file, I use the Pacemaker plugin on my Winamp....works great, especially if you're trying learn a particular part of a song or to get the lyrics....

Just another suggestion....

FlutteringBy

#53791 - 08/01/03 12:59 PM Re: Transposing midi files
Tony Lawton Offline

Loc: England
Thank you both for your advice, I will go and try it right now.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online