SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#49928 - 04/06/03 12:56 PM URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
I have just received this the email below from a friend of mine about the Teddy Bear Virus and on taking the action below I found that it was "hiding" on my PC. I have take action as listed and sent it on to all in my address book. Please check your PCs.

Dear All -

There is an e-mail virus called jdbgmgr.exe, currently going the rounds, which is not detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and
by the address book, whether or not you sent Emails to your contacts. You should really follow this procedure to check that you have not got this virus (it normally resides in the C:\Windows\system directory).

1. Go to Start, Find or search option
2. In the 'file folder option' type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub folders and any other drives you may have
4. Click "find now"
5. The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO NOT OPEN IT!
6. Go to edit (on menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it
7. Now go to File (on he menu bar) and select Delete. It will then go to the recycle bin.
8. Delete it from the recycle bin.

If you find the virus you must contact all of the people in your address book so they can eradicate it in their own address books!

#49929 - 04/06/03 01:15 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Joan Offline

I HAVE SINCE BEEN INFORMED THAT THIS IS NOT A VIRUS BUT A HOAX.

I do apologise if I have inconvenienced anyone but I acted on good faith.

Joan

#49930 - 04/06/03 01:17 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Joan,
I beleive it's a hoax, but I'm no computer expert. I received a similar message via my yahoo teddy bear groups some months back. I checked through "google" and found this site.

Please read and make up your own minds.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
I have just received this the email below from a friend of mine about the Teddy Bear Virus and on taking the action below I found that it was "hiding" on my PC. I have take action as listed and sent it on to all in my address book. Please check your PCs.

Dear All -

There is an e-mail virus called jdbgmgr.exe, currently going the rounds, which is not detected by Norton or McAfee
anti-virus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and
by the address book, whether or not you sent Emails to your contacts. You should really follow this procedure to check that you have not got this virus (it normally resides in the C:\Windows\system directory).

1. Go to Start, Find or search option
2. In the 'file folder option' type the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all sub folders and any other drives you may have
4. Click "find now"
5. The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe. DO NOT OPEN IT!
6. Go to edit (on menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the file without opening it
7. Now go to File (on he menu bar) and select Delete. It will then go to the recycle bin.
8. Delete it from the recycle bin.

If you find the virus you must contact all of the people in your address book so they can eradicate it in their own address books!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#49931 - 04/06/03 01:30 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I went through the whole process also and found it to be a hoax. The Teddy Bear is there but a useless and harmless icon. Forget it.

Bernie

#49932 - 04/06/03 01:37 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Joan.
bizzare, I was typing my reply just as you sent this message through. Your friend wouldn't realize it was a hoax either. If you actually sent the message to other people in your address book, it might be an idea to warn them asap. These rotten hoaxes are obviously designed to have a snowball effect.
You obviously sent the message with BEST INTENTIONS.best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
I HAVE SINCE BEEN INFORMED THAT THIS IS NOT A VIRUS BUT A HOAX.

I do apologise if I have inconvenienced anyone but I acted on good faith.

Joan

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#49933 - 04/06/03 01:58 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi,

I checked my files/folders and found the file nestling nicely on my C: drive. The search revealed the file was last modified 17 October 2002. I have no idea what the file does, but since it is an .exe file, it must be necessary for proper operation of a piece of software I have installed at one time or another. Glad to hear the virus warning is a hoax. I wouldn't have deleted the file anyway because it has been on my computer since 17 October.

Don't worry, Joan. We are all victims of hoaxes at one time or another and as Rikki says, you were acting in good faith and I hope you pass on the next warning you receive with equal good faith. Better to be warned and discover it is a hoax than not be warned and find there really is a virus we need to be aware of.

Cheers, Chuck

#49934 - 04/06/03 02:41 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi, This one has raised it's head before and is definitely a Hoax. There is a very useful site which can provide information about genuine and hoax viruses. If you have any doubts about possible viruses, check here : http://www.truthorfiction.com/virus.htm

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49935 - 04/06/03 11:59 PM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
Joan Offline

Hi there

Thank you for your replies and understanding. I have spent a very uncomfortable night feeling a right prat!!

Again with apologies - Joan

#49936 - 04/07/03 08:22 AM Re: URGENT _ TEDDY BEAR VIRUS
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Dear JOAN,
Please don't beat yourself up over this little situation. I doubt that any harm was done.
I have seen this very hoax perpretrated by several people with long years of experience. Sometimes we tend to react rather then research.
Actually this is good experience for you and will tend to make you more cautious in the future.
Thank you for your concern in reporting what you thought was a problem.
Best to you and yours

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 04-07-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online