SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57160 - 03/11/03 02:13 AM Old computers?
Mike ORegan Offline

It was a dark and stormy night. . .when I took delivery of my TI 99 Home Computer. It had NO DISK DRIVE - load and save to audio cassette. Also a whole 16k (that's right k) of memory. However it did (and still does) talk very well and I even wrote some highly regarded 3 part music on this machine!
Those were the days! ;>)
Mike O'R
sorry if it's slightly off topic - couldn't resist it!

#57161 - 03/11/03 04:27 AM Re: Old computers?
MeBob Offline

Loc: Clermont,Florida,USA
Mike,
I too remember those days.
My 1st computer was a Tandy (Radio Shack) Model One, with about the same specs.
And I had to shell out $999 for the little 'screamer'.
And today, there are those that will say they don't have a computer because the're so expensive. OH! if they only knew what a value they are getting today.
But I don't regret it for a minute. Had a lot of fun being a 'Pioneer'.

Bob in Sunny Florida

#57162 - 03/11/03 04:49 AM Re: Old computers?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I started out Midi wise with the Atari 1040 computer. Amazing thing when you think it was only 1040kb.
The PC market has now gone crazy. More CPU power & larger RAM. So all the programs are written large and require more memory, so we are just no better off and on an upward spiral.

Graham UK

#57163 - 03/11/03 11:46 AM Re: Old computers?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I used to play on my brother's Apple until the revolutionary Commodore 64 finally came on the market. What a machine that tiny thing was. Had some great games plus easy to use programs. Everything in 64k. Programmers today can't sneeze in that amount of memory. But, I don't think I would want to go back to that.

#57164 - 03/11/03 12:32 PM Re: Old computers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
must admit it takes me back.
I got my first computer back in the very early 80's made by a company called Dick Smith ( in Australia) Tape based, no software available except for some sort of a very simple book keeping program, that kept track of your cheque book.
Sold it to our architect when I discovered the Comodore Vic20 ( preceeded my Commodore 64)
Thought all my Xmas's had come at once as it actually played music. So what if it only played bleeps and squeeks, at least it played in tune , which was more than I was capable of.

Next mid 80's I ended up with an Atari 1040 with Notator software. Must admit I only retired it last year, even though it was still working. Even though I had numerous p.c.'s in the meantime , I still loved the old Atari.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online