SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55580 - 03/02/03 08:06 AM volume drop on rhythm
mally Offline

Loc: United kingdom
Could any one please help when I have saved rhythmes in the memory banks on my 7000 and changing banks sometimes the volume drops on the rhythm only the volume is ok on the voices on odd ocasions this sometimes happens without changing banks these problems are intermitent and as It does not do it all the time it is hard to solve once I alter the volume after It happens It Is Ok

mally

#55581 - 03/02/03 09:16 AM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Mally, what you are stating is way to vague for me to be of any help. The reason I say this is because I have no idea what procedure you are using to do these things. If you could give a step by step idea of what you are doing in the saving end and then a step by step account of the performance end I might be able to get some kind of a clue. There are some on this forum that have experienced this volume change when they use an expression or swell pedal hooked to their board. There are many who never have run into this volume change thing including myself. I have tried to reproduce this on my board but never have been able to with the procedure I use in my saving and playing. Even with the expression pedal in use. I have received a couple of disks from others that I did have problems with. However I have been able to pinpoint what they did that caused the problem. You might get in touch with Walt Meyer for he has been having this happen to him for quite some time. If you or Walt would send me a disk of the setup of your board as it is when this happens, I might be able to be of some help. It is my personal opinion however that this mystery lies in the area of the way a person understands and performs these operations on his keyboard rather than a malfunction of the equipment. With that said, I have been all wet in my thinking before. If you don’t believe it, just ask Ruthie. So Mally, if you would be inclined to zip me over a disk of your keyboard setup when this happens it would be a pleasure for me to see if I can help you in any way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the old saying goes.

Grandpa Doug

P.S. Please let me know if you use an expression pedal and how you save things.

#55582 - 03/02/03 01:44 PM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Mally, while I don't have a kn7k, I do know how these things work on a kn6k and they are probably the same. Your volume levels are independent of each other for the left hand and the right hand, until you save (set) an instrument setting in panel memory. Depending on whether you are in normal or expand mode will have an effect also, but the volume level of the rhythm (left hand) may have been different for one panel memory than it was for the second, or third, or forth. For a soft sounding instrument one would consider a softer sound in the background, than for a trumpet, for instance, where you would want a somewhat louder rhythm background. When you change the volume of a background instrument, it will stay the same for all four variations, but when you switch to another panel memory, the original volume settings will reappear. These would have to be reset and saved using the set button, then on to all the other panel memories while using the same procedure. Time consuming perhaps, but necessary. I generally use normal mode for this operation, or while I set up a rhythm pattern, but when I get ready to record, I sometimes switch to expand mode for use with a foot switch, and let the switch do all the work. In any case, the keyboard only reads the settings it has, and responds the way it was programmed to do. I would advise getting the manual out and redoing each step with doublechecks, and you will probably find you forgot one small important detail. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 03-02-2003).]

#55583 - 03/02/03 02:02 PM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have also noticed intermittant APC changes on KN7000 without any changes of variations, using native rythms, and no expression pedal. I have had the board long enough to attribute this fluctuation to something, and there is nothing that prompts it, at least not from a user standpoint.

Bernie

#55584 - 03/02/03 02:15 PM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Doug, the thing happens so sporatically that it's hard to catch because it catches one off guard. (I suppose you could call that "Catch as Catch Can". Most of the time it's during a gig and I'm not in a position to do much about it at that time. The odd thing is that it doesn't happen on the same song.
Anyway, I'll do my best to nail it down and send you the files.
Until we get more details from Mally we don't know if he has the same problem or not.
It appears that Bernie is experiencing the same thing though.
Walt

#55585 - 03/02/03 02:19 PM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Bernie, you didn't say if there were no changes at all being made, only that you didn't change variations that could have triggered a settings change. If it's strictly a hands-off situation, then you probably have a valid reason to cart the keyboard back to the dealer. I had a similar problem with my first kn6k, and no problems at all with the second one. Murpheys law, right? Even with onboard patterns, changes can be programmed in with panel memory switches using msa, for example, and Technics does like to mix things up with the styles at times. I suppose the more bells and whistles we get, the more problems that are likely to occur.

#55586 - 03/03/03 02:39 AM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Bud
Your right, I didn't say so. but.It is totally a hands off situation, and I suppose or hope that it is somehow programming fluke and not a glitch in the OS software.

I will try and track this before I jump the gun and make hasty assumtions. The few times this has happened, I raised the APC back to the original level, maybe three notches, and resaved. I always use extended mode.

Yes, the 7000 is quite complex and like Windows or any other application, there is bound to be some bugs, hopefully covered in some future update.

For me,however, the 7000 is 99.9% great and have great faith that it is as dependable as my old 5000 was.

Bernie

#55587 - 03/03/03 06:58 AM Re: volume drop on rhythm
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Can I join in here....
It may be some help - I've only had my KN7000 for a few weeks but noticed precisely the same thing at the start when saving settings to the panel memories and then when subsequently attempting to use them which I knew would be absolutely no good for public performance....so I read a bit more in the operating tome....and discovered this...
When saving settings to panel memory the APC/Sequencer volume must always be FULL ON.
If you need to alter the volume level downwards during play that's fine but then and only then to you have total control over the volume level as you change from panel memory to panel memory.
So far during play I have never had to alter the volume balance between left hand and right hand and have not touched the APC/Sequencer volume at all since setting it to full on.
Good luck
Roger M

#55588 - 03/03/03 07:04 AM Re: volume drop on rhythm
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Mally;

Try this.

APC level and your voice levels should all be at 127 when you save.

See if this solves it.

ALEX

#55589 - 03/03/03 09:05 AM Re: volume drop on rhythm
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Somewhat related to this problem, I have noticed that when playing back a sequence, whilst viewing the normal sequencer screen, if I hit either the 'EXIT' or 'PLAY' button to display the Home screen, the APC volume sometimes increases.
There is a tie-up between the physical APC/Sequencer Volume control and the APC 'Slider' control on the Home screen. If you move the Physical Volume control, you will see the Home screen APC 'Slider' also moves. This would suggest to me, that unlike a normal volume control, the APC/Sequencer control is not just an audio fader - but a type of digital control into one of the microprocessors in the KN. So it may be that some kind of electrical disturbance could result in the APC volume changing. It seems that APC volume is determined by the last of these two controls, to be moved. If the Physical volume is set to maximum and then the APC Home screen slider set to say about 50, start a style playing and then carefully reduce the Physical volume and you will hear a sudden jump to the level determined by the Physical volume control. As Roger has pointed out, I always leave the Physical volume at maximum and control the APC level using the Home screen APC control. This setting can be stored in Panel Memory and may be recalled as normal. However, the Panel Memory must be in Expand Mode for this to work. Strangely enough, although there is an option in the Expand mode to turn on/off storing the accomp/Bass Volume, it makes no difference whether it is set on or off - as long as Expand mode is selected, the APC volume levels can be controlled within panel memories. Even if every parameter in the Expand mode is set to off, the result is the same - memory recall of APC volume works OK.
Incidentally, I also tried this on my KN6000 and it's just the same.
I would suggest that you try setting the Physical APC/Sequencer control to maximum and use the Home screen control for APC level and see if the problem still exists.
Just my two-pennyworth......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online