SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54789 - 01/30/03 05:21 AM Proble with Custom Music Styles
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
Maybe someone can help me with the following problem:
I have loaded 10 single custom rythms (.cst files downloaded from the technicskn7000site into my kn7 custom memory on the positions 1 to 10 and cleared the positions 11 to 20. If I now select custom stylist in the Music stylist menu I see 10 x 4 variations in a certain order. For some of them however there is no rythm because it seems that some correspond with a cleared position (11 to 20)in the custom rythm memory. Any idea how is that possible?
I hope I have explained the problem clealy enough.
Regards,
Bert

#54790 - 01/30/03 06:12 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
Brian Barton Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Bert,
I have the same problem.
I think the answer is that the position
of the style in the custom is relevent
to where it was placed in the keyboard
of origin, but only shows when you use
the music stylist. It seems that you can't
use the stylist with these downloads of
mixed styles from different models.
Brian.

#54791 - 01/30/03 08:18 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Bert, you have probably copied an empty/cleared panelmemory into the custom.
You must realise, when you copy a composer/panelmemorie to the custom that the following items are saved in custom:
Composer A AND Panelmemory A or
Composer B AND Panelmemory B or
Composer C AND Panelmemory C
The variations 1-4 are also linked to the panelmemories 1-4!
So the structure is:
Comp.A, variation 1 is linked to Panelmemory A, pm 1.
The status of either the composer or panelmemory are important to what will be stored/works in customplace (for instant the saved settings on memory A).
You can control it by copying the related custom back to the composer A. If you look thereafter in panelmemory A (Panel memory Bank View, page 3) you will see that the name is/was cleared.
Success,
Cees.

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 01-30-2003).]

#54792 - 01/30/03 10:01 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
Bert Aarts Offline

Thanks for your reply, guys.
Brian:
I think you are wright. This means that it will be just luck if the rythm is loaded to the original position and if music stylist is used voor custom styles probably none of the rythms is the correct (original)one.
Can anyone confirm this?
Cees:
I think this has nothing to do with panel memory, because I just load .cst styles from floppy into custom memory, no copying from composer memory.
Bert

#54793 - 01/30/03 10:15 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hoi Bert, I think you'r wrong. To my opinion a custom must have his 'roots' from the keyboard. I don't know another way to 'make'' a custom, do you?? It is not possible to 'make' a custom without the composer and panelmemories, am I right?. Therefore the 'roots' of the performance of a customfile must be the composer/panelmemorysetting...
Have you tried to copy it back from the custom to the composer? Did you examine the panelmemories thereafter? I'v made a lot of cst's with this procedure with the results above mentioned.
But I'm willing to learn if someone else has 'the answer'
Greetings,
Cees.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:
Thanks for your reply, guys.
Brian:
I think you are wright. This means that it will be just luck if the rythm is loaded to the original position and if music stylist is used voor custom styles probably none of the rythms is the correct (original)one.
Can anyone confirm this?
Cees:
I think this has nothing to do with panel memory, because I just load .cst styles from floppy into custom memory, no copying from composer memory.
Bert

#54794 - 01/30/03 10:33 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Bert
The position of styles within Custom Files should NOT change. If you cleared positions 11 to 20 and saved new cst files to positions 1 to 10 then whenever you reload - the positions will be the same.
You can check this by pressing the custom button and viewing viewing page 1 which should contain 10 files and page 2 which should show no files (i.e clear)If you then go to Music Stylist the first 10 positions will contain files and the remaining positions will show clear.

However, It may be that when you click on Music Stylist the first highlighted file is not necessarily file number 1 of the 20 custom styles. If you use the skip button upwards it will stop at the file in position number 1 of the the custom styles. Each downward press of the skip button will take you consecutively to the next file.
I've noticed that every time you press the Music Stylist button and select Custom Stylist, it defaults to the last Custom Style you looked at.
Hope this helps
John

[This message has been edited by John North (edited 01-30-2003).]

#54795 - 01/30/03 11:57 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Just wondering if the .cst files on the Technics download site only contain the actual Style and nothing else ??
This might account for the strange behavior.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54796 - 01/30/03 01:20 PM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bert,
apparently after you load the 10 individual .cst's in, you then have to save it as a song (.st) onto your sd card

press sd load
save
technic (format)
press page button and click off everything ie composer, sequencer etc except custom style which has to be set to ON. Save it, then load back into the KN. It should then show up in your stylist along with the blanks.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:
Maybe someone can help me with the following problem:
I have loaded 10 single custom rythms (.cst files downloaded from the technicskn7000site into my kn7 custom memory on the positions 1 to 10 and cleared the positions 11 to 20. If I now select custom stylist in the Music stylist menu I see 10 x 4 variations in a certain order. For some of them however there is no rythm because it seems that some correspond with a cleared position (11 to 20)in the custom rythm memory. Any idea how is that possible?
I hope I have explained the problem clealy enough.
Regards,
Bert

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#54797 - 01/30/03 01:24 PM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Whoops, that should read
.cst's in, you then have to save it as a song (.ast) onto your sd card.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Bert,
apparently after you load the 10 individual .cst's in, you then have to save it as a song (.st) onto your sd card

press sd load
save
technic (format)
press page button and click off everything ie composer, sequencer etc except custom style which has to be set to ON. Save it, then load back into the KN. It should then show up in your stylist along with the blanks.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#54798 - 01/31/03 01:17 AM Re: Proble with Custom Music Styles
Bert Aarts Offline

Thank you all for paying attention to this problem but I am afraid that the problem is not well understood. I will try to give a deeper explanation:
I have downloaded the .cst styles from the KN7000 download site and saved them on my PC. After that I made folders of different groups of styles, like ballads, country, 8beat etc., grouped the downloaded styles and saved each group to a floppy. In this way I created a floppy containing a number of .cst files which I afterwards loaded one by one into the custom rhythm section. Before I did that I cleared all the positions in the custom rhythm section by copying a cleared composer memory to all the positions. As an example I give you the result of the contents of the custom memory after I loaded a group of country styles (indicates the origin from kn7 website):
Pos 1: Country Shuffle (kn65)
Pos 2: Country Shuffle (world)
Pos 3: Country Swing (kn3)
Pos 4: Country Swing 1 (kn2)
Pos 5: Country Swing 2 (kn2)
Pos 6: Country Waltz (kn5)
Pos 7: Country Walz (kn2)
Pos 8: Techn Country (kn5)
Pos 9: Saloon Bar (kn5)
Pos 10: Square Dance 9kn5)
Pos 11: Line Dance (kn5)
Pos 12 to 20: clear (I want to use these positions for future extension)
I saved this group under the name ‘Country 2’ as .ast (all custom styles) to SD
This is exactly the procedure and even the grouping of styles as Rikkisbears suggested on this forum (thanks Rikki) and it works fine. Nothing wrong sofar.
Now I get to the problem:
I load my ‘Country 2’ file (all custom memory) from SD to custom memory. Pressing the custom button shows the contents of the memory as saved before. Selecting rhythm’s and MSA variations is o.k.
If I select custom stylist from the Music stylist menu I see 11 groups of 4 variations which should correspond in rhythm with the loaded styles.
The first one on top named Southern shuffle (with variations Country Groove, Country Rock Sax, Rock all night and Shuffle Drawbars) does not give a rhythm and if I check what rhythm in the rhythm section is choosen (by clicking the custom button) it shows pos. 13 which is a clear memory. I checked this with all Custom Music Stylists starting on top and using the skip button downwards with following result (style name in custom stylist – positionnumber in custom memory – rhythm in custom memory)
Southern Shuffle – pos. 13 – clear
Country Shuffle – pos 9 – Saloon Bar
Country Swing – pos 4 – Country Swing
Country Swing 1- pos 7 – Country Waltz
Country swing 2 – pos 16 – clear
Country Love – pos 7 – Country Waltz
Country Waltz – pos 12 – clear
Hillbilly Joe – pos 10 – Square Dance
Pub Singalong – pos 2 – Country Shuffle
Bar Dance – pos 9 - Saloon Bar
Line Dance Crazy – pos 8 – Techno Country
My conclusion is that the link between custom stylist and custom rhythm is not correct but I cannot find out the reason for this. Is there anybody who can tell me what I am doing wrong?
Rikki: you use the same method, do you have the same problem?
Bert

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online