SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#51601 - 11/15/02 01:57 AM KN7000 - Favourites
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Everyone
I use the 'favourites' facility on the SD card quite frequently, but I use it a bit like the 'Jukebox' setting on the HDSX6. Very useful when taking requests at the interval during a gig.
1. Creating a 'favourites' folder - no problem
2. Changing song links within that folder - no problem
3. Deleting a folder - Problem
So far the quickest way (and its not very quick)I have found to 'clear' a folder is to load one file at a time; delete it from the SD card; then save the file back to its original location.
Does anyone know of a speedier method?
John

#51602 - 11/15/02 02:51 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
technicsplayer Offline

save any file at folder 99 file 20 with a cleared name, or just call it 'clear', and just assign that to each space to erase the previous entry. Use an initial sequencer on its own if you want to clear the sequencer, or maybe an initial current panel on its own if you want full keyboard piano, or a local off or full mixer at zero to mute everything in the event of pressing the assignment by accident when you want no sound output at all.

#51603 - 11/15/02 08:24 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
John North Offline

Hi Alec
Thanks for that idea, it will certainly be quicker than the method I'm using at the moment. It's just a pity there wasn't a folder delete facility.
John

#51604 - 11/15/02 09:46 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all: This 'Favorites' feature sounds interesting. Can somebody please tell me exactly what this feature does as well as how it works?

Does it allow you to store all your songs (by song title) in a database and then subsequently search and recall them by song title, song category (genre), or by style?

What is the maximum number of songs 'Favorites' will hold?

Does the KN7000 'Favorites Feature' function similarly to the way the 'Music Finder Database' works on Yamaha PSR/Tyros keyboards?

Lastly, can you enter/edit 'Favorites' data via your PC desktop computer rather than on the KN7000 keyboard itself?

My apologies for asking so many questions, but I guess I just have an inquiring mind.

Thanks. - Scott

#51605 - 11/15/02 10:08 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
technicsplayer Offline

It's 40 pages of 9 shortcuts to any file on sd card, saved with each card.

#51606 - 11/15/02 10:36 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
John North Offline

Hi Scott
Don't know if I can answer all your questions, but here goes:
The 'favorites' is very similar to the Custom Load Script on the Hard Drives and basically creates a short cut to the locations of whatever files you put in. For example there are 40 banks of favorites, each containing 9 slots. You could name bank 1 Country and then save 9 separate Country songs. The favorites can be used in several ways, but I find it most useful to set out the songs I'm going to play at the next gig in the first few banks and in the order I intend to play them. They can be edited easily and quickly and even changed on stage if you decide to.
I also often take requests at gigs, and use favorites to store the requested songs during the interval.
The favorite banks are not searchable, but the screen displays the folder names of 10 banks at a time, so it's easy to locate the bank you want.
Having said that favorites are not searchable, there is an alphabet search facility on the SD card itself,(as well as a Folder and Numerical search) which searches all the names of all the files held on the SD card. The alphabet search is case sensitive, so a search on c might list

composer Patterns 1
country Songs
country 2 step etc

whereas a search on C might list

Carpenters
Crazy
Crocodile Rock etc.

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha Music Finder Database, so I can't comment.
As favorites are simply a form of short cut to files held on the SD card I don't think they could be edited on a PC.

As a gigging musician I'm sure you could utilize the KN7000 features so that 'performance' is set up and ready at the touch of a button
John

#51607 - 11/15/02 11:32 AM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi John & Alec,

Many thanks for your explainations, especially to John for your more in depth description. Ok, I think I get it now. Sounds like the KN7000 favorites feature works the same way the AE5000 hard drive organization scheme does on the KN5000.
I assume that calling up a song from the 'Favorites list' automatically loads the following associated files located in SD Card Memory, right? :

* composer style (cmp)
* panel memory (pmt)
* manual sequencer pad (msp)
* sound memory (tm) : includes user drumkit
* sequencer file (sqt) : if applicable

If this is true, then I believe the KN7000's Favorites feature may be more powerful than the Yamaha 'Music Finder'. The Yamaha Music Finder ONLY stores the style itself and limited (4) preset OTS settings.

I'm now looking forward to going back to the music store to give the KN7000 another SERIOUS consideration.

- Scott

#51608 - 11/15/02 12:07 PM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
John North Offline

Hi Scott
Quite correct. Whatever extensions are used in the file are recalled when you use the favorite button.
If you decide to buy the 7000 get the store to attach my 10% commission to the next pigeon flying over to the UK
John

#51609 - 11/15/02 02:04 PM Re: KN7000 - Favourites
technicsplayer Offline

obviously if you have a shortcut to a technics file it will load whatever you have saved in the technics file. You didn't mention that favourites can shortcut midi files too, and, John, if you buy the techmanager 7000 you can edit the favourites on the pc, and delete them...

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online