SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#49322 - 07/07/02 02:55 AM The 2 Tones
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
The 2 Tones are a fabulous duo with an incomparable young girl singer (17) and a keyboard player (KN920); and everywhere we play the public want us back again and again...
The problem is getting the venues - the local Agents don't get us much work because their percentage is so small for a duo; and clubs/restaurants/pubs in this area North Wiltshire, England are all set on jazz - we perform ballads and dance music from the 60's 70's and 80's.
We're prepared to travel a bit within the south west region of the UK, and I'm commencing a flyer campaign aimed at appropriate outlets - getting our foot through the door is the problem though until they've heard us!!!
Anyone any bright ideas??
Thanks
Roger M

#49323 - 07/07/02 07:12 AM Re: The 2 Tones
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Pick up a local paper in the area you want to perform in, and check the places that advertise live music. Visit the venue, and if it's the kind of place that suits your music - give the owner a picture, bio and audio demo. Then, offer to play a night, either at HIS price or free, and then negotiate YOUR price after you've shown them what you can do. I'd also recommend that you keep the 17yr old's age a secret. That spells trouble to a lot of places that serve booze.(here in the States, anyway)

When you work a room .... hand out flyers, cards, pics, etc to generate interrest in a return visit and collect names and addresses for a personal mailing list. Club owners are delighted to hire ANYone that can fill the seats up with new customers.

My best advice to you is to not compromise your show or your price to be "competitive". CHarge what you are worth, and then PROVE it. Once you take less than you want, you'll never get the right ammount again.

Are you interrested in private parties too? These affairs pay much better and generate the possibility of more work, as well. If I don't hand out 5 cards at each affair, I think of it as a failure. You HAVE to be selling the NEXT job at all times. Word of mouth is a great advertisement, and one that is EARNED, not bought.

#49324 - 07/08/02 07:05 AM Re: The 2 Tones
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Thanks Uncle Dave
Your comments and advice always respected and very welcome - once I get my printer going I shall print out your advice and follow it to the 'T' - sorry english expression!!!
Roger M

#49325 - 07/08/02 03:01 PM Re: The 2 Tones
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I LOVE "T" !

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online