SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#61366 - 01/17/02 03:12 PM Hard Drive Help
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Hi. I got a new Hard Drive for my Kn6000 at Christmas time. I got the smaller one, the SX3. I can tell already I'm really gonna enjoy it. It will make life a lot easier.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about how to organize things. I have been copying over my Technotes disks, but wonder if there is some good way to organize where I put things. I don't think you can move stuff to a new directory once you have it there. I see load/save/ and delete options by not move. I just don't want to copy everything then wish I'd one it differently. So if anyone has any helpful hints I'd appreciate it.

Marilyn

#61367 - 01/17/02 04:41 PM Re: Hard Drive Help
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Marilyn, you are wise to give thought to how you want to organize your hard drive now. I still use the KN5000 with it's hard drive. I have found it useful to have two separate setups. I store stuff in categories like Country, Big Band, Latin and that sort of thing. I also have the stuff in the order that it came from floppy disk like Strictly Jazz, Strictly Latin etc. I have a separate area on the hard disk where I store sequences. I seldom use sequences when I play. How you use the files will depend on how you play. If you use fake sheets or other sheet music it helps to write the location of the style for each song right on the song sheet. Then, in my case, I load the song by the file location number on the hard drive. Im not sure what loading options you have with the SX3. Some of you who have been working with KN6000's at Technote need to entice Alec to this site to help with these questions.

#61368 - 01/18/02 03:34 AM Re: Hard Drive Help
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Marilyn. I have the SX6, so I'm not quite sure what features differ with the SX3. However as a brief guide, I use Partition 1. for all my songs, listed alphabetically, allowing several directories for each letter. Partition 2. to store all styles, midi files, sounds eetc. and partition 3 I arrange into artist and eras. The best advice Ican give you though is, whatever you save on your SX3 make a copy on to floppy and save on your computer. That way (unless you have the TechManager)you can always reload into a different directory whenever you want. Dont leave it until you've got 1000 files, do it each time. If the SX3 has Custom Load Script, you can use that not only to categorise your work, but if you gig, you can set up your entire programme for that gig in a few minutes. Hope this is of some help. Good luck with it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Boissoneault:
Hi. I got a new Hard Drive for my Kn6000 at Christmas time. I got the smaller one, the SX3. I can tell already I'm really gonna enjoy it. It will make life a lot easier.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about how to organize things. I have been copying over my Technotes disks, but wonder if there is some good way to organize where I put things. I don't think you can move stuff to a new directory once you have it there. I see load/save/ and delete options by not move. I just don't want to copy everything then wish I'd one it differently. So if anyone has any helpful hints I'd appreciate it.

Marilyn

#61369 - 01/18/02 03:03 PM Re: Hard Drive Help

Thanks for the replies. I never thought about switching to another partition yet. That's a good idea. I will use one of those for songs, and another for styles.

I agree that how the Hard Drive is organized has to go along with how one plays etc. I just started copying stuff and then realized I had everything just sorta mixed in with each other. One directory might be a copy of a Technotes style disk, next one a song one I got around Christmas from the generous posters in the T*******S forum. Real fast I realized I am gonna have a mess. I need to stop and get organized! Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Marilyn

#61370 - 01/19/02 07:15 AM Re: Hard Drive Help
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Marilyn,
if you go to the other place, click web shop, hard drives, hd-sx3, then click see more...

there is an extraordinarily well written review that deals with this

#61371 - 01/19/02 04:31 PM Re: Hard Drive Help

Thanks appreciate! In fact dummie here saved and printed that out before I got the drive.....guess I need to go find where I put that!

Marilyn

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Hi Marilyn,
if you go to the other place, click web shop, hard drives, hd-sx3, then click see more...

there is an extraordinarily well written review that deals with this

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online