SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42253 - 08/07/01 10:37 AM Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Everybody! COME checkout my LATEST 'new' song performed (as usual ) on the Technics KN5000 arranger keyboard.
Go to: http://scottyee.com
and then go to the: 'Song Demos' Page.

Here is my rendition of the 1964 pop classic "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" which was written and originally performed by Gerry & the Pacemakers. My version has a r&b groove which I think you'll find quite different than the original. I also used my own customized arranger style patterns.

All the songs on my website now play using Windows Media 'streaming' audio files (.wma). If you don't already have "Windows Media Player" installed on your computer (available for both PC & Mac), you really owe it to yourself to download and install it right away. I think that "Windows Media Player's SOUND QUALITY is FAR SUPERIOR to the competition's (Real Player). I also included (on my website) a link to the FREE "Windows Media Player 7.1" download page (no, no I do NOT work for Bill Gates ).

MP3 format versions are also available, but download times can be very slow and highly unpredictable due to heavy traffic on the Tripod Lycos Server. The LIVE streaming playback versions on the other hand will start playing almost right away. Just remember to select the appropriate playback version (56K modem or DSL/Cable).

This is the first time I've had the opportunity to record DIRECTLY to my computer's hard drive using my new Midiman 'Delta 66' 24 bit sound card and Omni Studio I/O mixer. I think this made a significant improvement in the sound quality You might be interested in COMPARING the sound quality of my new song to the previous songs. I think switching to the Windows Media file format (.wma files) helped a lot too.

Please let me know if there are ANY problems 'playing back' the songs. I WELCOME feedback & comments about the music too.

- Scott http://scottyee.com

#42254 - 08/07/01 10:25 PM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Good Job Scott !

Please share with us the steps needed to make an MP3 .

Thanks for sharing your talent
Larry

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 08-07-2001).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#42255 - 08/09/01 12:13 AM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Larry,
Before you can create an MP3, you need to create a WAV file of your song in your PC. I recorded my keyboard & vocal performance directly into my computer's hard disk using Emagic Logic Audio (Digital Audio Sequencing program) via a computer sound card (Midi-man Delta 66). You can use the generic soundcard that came with your PC, but you will achieve far better results with a high quality 24 bit audio sound card made specifically for recording digital audio. These have much cleaner (quieter) A/D converters and better sound. I used Logic Audio to create a WAV file. From there you can easily convert the WAV file to an MP3 using an MP3 encoder software program. Here the decision is more difficult as there are many Mp3 encoders (both free and shareware) available. Here is a link to a website that provides the lowdown on MP3 conversion/encoding: http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/

Hope this helps, - Scott

#42256 - 08/11/01 01:17 PM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
lahawk Offline

Thanks Scott , that was very helpful. I will attempt to make my first MP3 and if I am somewhat sucsessful ,I will post it . Keep up the good work on your web site and I look forward to more MP3's from you .
Thanks Again , Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#42257 - 08/11/01 07:44 PM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Scottyee
Enjoyed your web site! Your music & singing is great! But I can only listen to it in bits and pieces. On DSL/cable modem it loads about 35%, then plays very little, then starts loading again. Each time it plays a little more of the song.
If I use the the 56k modem it loads quickly to 99% then plays. It's the same thing but it playes a little longer, When I worked your song all the way through I thought it would play it all the way through then, but it wouldn't! Same thing!
Scott I tried to play your songs sometime back, didn't work then either.
I only have a 33.6 plug & play modem. But your about the only one that I have not been successful in downloading here on the forum.
Hummmm. Strange isn't it?
Oh my wife said you was a handsome rascal!! I'd love to be that age again!!
All the best,
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 08-11-2001).]

#42258 - 08/12/01 01:47 AM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Scott

I've got the same problem as Nobby when trying
to play your songs as streamed audio. (56kb modem)
The sound quality are good, but have to download
the zipfile to listen proper.
As usual, your songs are GOOD, and your "backing
band" is GREAT .
GJ

BTW,
did you know that I sing like a bird when I'm
in the right mood?
Well, don't forget that a crow is a bird too.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#42259 - 08/14/01 08:27 AM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Nobby. The reason you are experiencing your song playback problems is because you are using a 33.6 kbs modem. To playback my songs properly, you MUST have a 56 kbs modem or better. What is happening is that even though your modem is able to initially download a small chunk of the song (initial 'buffered' song data), it just can't KEEP UP with the streaming rate as the song continues to play (56K: 32 kilobytes per second, or DSL/Cable: 128 kilobtytes per second). Though it's called a 33.6 modem, the ACTUAL speed (kilobytes per second) of a 33.6 modem is actually quite a bit slower. This is also true of a 56k modem. 32 kb/second is the recommended 'audio streaming' file encoding speed rate for 56k modem playback. This allows for the normal line speed fluctuations (32 to 48 kbs) of 56k modems. Nobby, many thanks to your lovely wife for her compliment

Gunnar, interesting that you too are having problems playing the 56k version as well. My only guess is that your 56k modem line speed is somehow dropping below 32kbs so is not able to keep up with the 32 kbs speed of the streaming audio file itself. I have not received any reports of problems from other 56k modem users so I assume that your modem line speed might have been temporarily slowed down during the time you attempted to play my songs. I'm glad you were able to successfully download the MP3 version though. Gunnar, sounds like you're trying to tell us that your singing isn't 'anything to crow about'

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-14-2001).]

#42260 - 08/14/01 08:50 AM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Not that I'm complaining, but I had problems with playing the songs at your site, too. Same types of buffer problems - chunks of the song playing, etc. And I have a cable modem! But when I selected the 56k versions, I could hear them o.k..
Tom
PS: This happens at other sites, too. That's why I'm no big fan of streaming audio - it doesn't work well for a lot of people.

#42261 - 08/14/01 09:22 AM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
Scottyee Offline

Tom: What you guys are saying here demonstrates that streaming audio' success is limited by the bandwidth & the 'actual' line speed of your modem/line connection at the time you are attempting to play a 'streaming audio' file. Line connection speeds can change depending on how many people are online at the same time (especially true with cable modem connections), type of telephone line (digital vs analog), etc. I hope the MP3 file 'download' option works for people who aren't able to play the streaming audio version. Thanks again for all the support and valuable feedback.

#42262 - 08/16/01 01:26 PM Re: Checkout 'new' SONG performed on the KN5000 !
lahawk Offline

Geez Guys ...Why do you want to play it by streaming anyway. MP3'S sound much better..granted you have to wait for the download..but it is worth it .

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online