SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#416720 - 02/14/16 06:45 AM Step Time Recording
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The Wonders of the Kn7000 --- Ideas to share.

Uses of Step Time Recording:
I have read in many manuals that Step Time Recording is for those who do not play well. – Only partly true.
1-Most of us who recorded sequences are familiar Step Time Recording. After the song is recorded you go through and correct errors or add things you feel important.

2-After I have recorded a sequence I record the melody in Step Time. I do this when I am not sure of the melody.

3-I have recorded songs from the movie Saturday Night Fever completely in step time. I use a piano sheet of music; it has all the little extras that helped make the song popular. There is a bass part, different harmonies, and special lines which made the song popular. When the bass part is added it takes away the boring part of a repeated bass line. It also places accents where they are needed.

4-I have taken a piano sheet and used Step Time to record every not on the sheet. The next step was changing every instrument in the sequence to piano or accordion –any instrument that you feel sounds best.
Most of what I have done with Step Time Recording just helped me enjoy my keyboard.

Anyone have ideas that they might share, I’m open to learn.
John C.

PS, I'll post some of my songs that I recorded in Step Time as soon as I renew my Box Net account.

#416754 - 02/14/16 12:30 PM Re: Step Time Recording [Re: bruno123]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Another really nice feature is the sequenser control track.
We never used midi or backingtracks, but when we rehearsed before gigs, I sometimes used the control track to record all shifts in variations, fills and endings etc. and saved with the style.
That way it was more relaxing, hands was free to play, not push buttons.
Whether it was a good atmosphere and it might be okay to continue with an extra chorus or something, it was just to turn off the control track and continue as if nothing had happened. smile
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#416802 - 02/15/16 09:19 AM Re: Step Time Recording [Re: bruno123]
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
I check this dead forum about every six months or so to see who is still alive and posting. Apparently most of the old timers have gone to heaven or hell.

John, if you want to record this way you should be working in COMPOSER in STEP RECORD. You have 16 measures in each variation, as well as 16 measures in each fill-in so you have plenty of measures to record a song. Once you have completed a song by using STEP RECORD, use your PANEL MEMORIES with correct settings for each Variation used, record it in SEQUENCER with using ONLY Track 5 (CHD) and Track 6. (CTL) What will amaze you is that in SEQUENCER, the keyboard uses NO MEMORY for recording this way. All the memory is in the COMPOSER. The SEQUENCER will show 99% memory available.

Scott Reed

#416841 - 02/15/16 03:54 PM Re: Step Time Recording [Re: nsr007]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Scott, I remember reading about this method many years ago. Was it you who posted it?
I have not used the method being successful with mine. But, I will give it a try.

Thanks, John C.

#416857 - 02/15/16 08:17 PM Re: Step Time Recording [Re: bruno123]
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi John,

No, it was not I that had mentioned this type of doing a song. I haven't for sometime visited the forum and no longer a true member of the forum. I tried numerous times when I posted for others to LEARN how to use the COMPOSER and it went to no avail. It seems that most want to PUSH BUTTONS on the keyboard and settle for the two-measure styles in the keyboard to make music. What is sad is that these two-measure styles are to only INSPIRE the keyboardist to do their own thing. When Technics (Panasonic) decided to no longer make keyboards, most were anxious to move on to new keyboards to PUSH MORE BUTTONS. Your posting this post and my seeing it made me respond. It is so much easier for you to record in this way by using the COMPOSER instead of doing the song in complete through the SEQUENCER. You can record over what you have earlier done without losing any of what you did. All you have to do is remove what you don't want by erasing in STEP RECORD the errors you made. If you need more tracks, when you do a sequenced song, add the additional tracks in your PANEL MEMORY. One of the most important things you can learn in the keyboard is to fully understand and use the COMPOSER. Being able to compose original backing for a song in a professional way will give you so much enjoyment of accomplishment. As you learn, you will get better and better with your composed arrangements. You will wonder why you ever settled for the built-in two-measure styles in the keyboard.

I am very much against other people's styles or ideas in making music. I would never download Midi. When I make music, it has to be MINE and no one else's.

My best to you and others,

Scott Reed

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online