SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#320730 - 04/03/11 01:12 AM KN7000 Prices
Tony Deaf Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England

Good Sunday Morning Tinklers,

I have always kept an eye on Ebay prices of instruments I own.

Recently - in spite of a recession, prices have been reaching almost astronomical prices for used 'high end' Technics keyboards.

The last KN2600 went on there 2 weeks ago for 421 pounds (650 dollars) - remember these were sold in 2004 at half price of about 700 pounds!

Yesterday, KN 7000 (with wear on dials) fetched 1012 pounds (1620 dollars).
See here .... KN 7000 on Ebay 2 Mar 2011

I am so glad that my purchase recently of these two instruments was about 2/3 of those prices. Other popular makes of keyboard are falling e.g. - a Tyros 2 can be bought for about 800, and a Tyros 3 for about 1500 pounds.

Is it that these boards are becoming rarer and harder to find, or is it that people are now appreciating just how good the build quality, technology, sounds and longevity of Technics is?

At this rate, our Technics keyboards will be a better investment than gold !!

Kind regards,

John

Edited by Tony Deaf (04/03/11 01:17 AM)
Edit Reason: Speling mistooks

#320732 - 04/03/11 02:05 AM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: Tony Deaf]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
John.
I'd hate to think what marks a TY2 will show after the same amount of time.
I had a Ty2 from brand new and after about 12 months the silver was starting to come off of the buttons and that was just with normal home use.

Regards
Peter B.

#320762 - 04/03/11 04:45 PM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: peter b]
Tony Deaf Offline

Peter,

It was a common problem, due (Yamaha said !) to acid on fingers! I think they did change them within the Guarantee period for better ones.

Best Yamaha Keyboard we had (one each) was the 9000 Pro. It had the larger keyboard, and was built like a tank (56 Pounds)- I think it was the best keyboard Yamaha ever made. We always regretted selling them in favour of the Tyros 2's, which we kept for only a few months.

Now we are retired, and on a limited budget - the KN7000 and 2600 'does it' for us - I doubt we will change again before we curl up our toes !!

John

Edited by Tony Deaf (04/03/11 05:07 PM)

#320777 - 04/04/11 12:12 AM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: Tony Deaf]
peter b Offline

Loc: nottinghamshire, UK
HiJohn
I agree with that. My friend still uses his 9000 for his gigs and gets some brilliant sounds from it. We have a Ty2 at the keyboard/organ club so I still get to play one but I have gone back to the KN7 for my own use (via a short spell with an EL90) and I am getting far better sound and arrangements than the TY2, and easier.

Regards
Peter B

P.s If you haven't got the Jukebox Software then one has just come up for sale on e bay.

By the way I prefer your new avator

Edited by peter b (04/04/11 12:14 AM)

#321395 - 04/10/11 09:56 AM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: Tony Deaf]
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I recently bought back the KN2600 (SD) at 650 usd and pleased with the price and the keyboard once again.
I sold all 4 technics when they pulled the plug as I thought the bottom would fall out of their market.
I am still looking to buy bach a kn7000 but will not pay more then 1200 usd for it. So I will wait and continue to play the 11 keyboards I have in the studio which includes the tyros 2 and the roland E 80 which is similiar to the KN 7000. time will tell,
Bebop Bill

#321419 - 04/10/11 03:32 PM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: Tony Deaf]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I believe you will have a long wait for the KN7000, Bill. The going rate for 7000's in this area is between $1,600 and $1,800 USD. I believe that the asking price for the one I am aware of in North Carolina is $2,000, which I do think is unreasonable. Maybe after five more years or so the street price will get down to the $1,200 area.

#321555 - 04/11/11 07:50 PM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: Bob Hendershot]
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Bob,
I am currently talking to someone that is down to 1500. I don't know if it will go any lower or not but if it does I would get more interested.
Bill

#321570 - 04/12/11 02:00 AM Re: KN7000 Prices [Re: peter b]
Tony Deaf Offline

Originally Posted By: peter b

If you haven't got the Jukebox Software then one has just come up for sale on e bay.

By the way I prefer your new avatar

Thanks for that Peter - I got a brand new and unopened Jukebox Kit off Ebay a month or two back for 9 Pounds (14 Dollars).
I also have Styleworks XT Universal, Song Manager, Audio Recorder, SD Explorer and Rename Files. I think thats about the whole collection !! I also use Propellorheads 'Reason', Cakewalk Pro, Cubase, and Band in a Box, so there is not a lot I can't do to murder a song in the computer !!!

Re the avatar - I changed it as I thought that our lady members needed to see what a handsome, well educated male with charm, poise and personality looked like !! Thats just my dog 'Stanley' !!

Re the 9000 - I think the '9000 Pro' version is much better than the 9000 with an extra octave of keys, more sounds, more styles, etc.- I am now saving my pennies (very slowly!), to hopefully get another 9000 Pro, which I want to midi to the KN7000 - As a pianist originally, I really appreciate the extra octave, and it still has some great sounds. Also, as yet - I am still trying to get my head round sequencing with Technics, and can do it quickly and well with the Yamaha OS, which I am used to after over 25 years with Yamaha !!

On a general note - I had already noticed that KN7000's always fetched a higher price in USA. They are fairly scarce in UK, as most people are hanging on to them - I know two Tyros 4 owners who will never sell their KN7000, even though they rarely use them!! In USA they appear to be much thinner on the ground, and rarely come up for sale, even so - with it being such a large Country, it is not practicable in most cases to collect one, and as I know to my cost - it is not a good idea to trust carriers.

Is it all about 'supply and demand' ?? If there is a demand for an object that is in short supply, then prices rise, and that, I think, is why prices of the 7000 and 2600 are rising so rapidly. Why is there a demand ?? Is it that these keyboards are the last ones to be made with more substantial quality of construction - sounds and features that have still in some cases to be equalled? ... We will never know, as we can only describe our own reasons - not those of others.

Kind regards,

John

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online