SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67405 - 07/31/08 11:18 AM A MIC PREAMP?
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
I am experiencing a difference in volume when singing with a sequenced song compared to playing live and singing. Here lies the problem: The mic volume is not loud enough set to max for the APC/Sequencer volume set to max. I am able to adjust by keeping the mic volume set to max and dropping the APC/Sequencer volume a bit. Doing this, more Main Volume needs to be upped through the keyboard speakers and p.a. speakers. When I start to play live, the APC/Sequencer volume is bypassed to the Main Volume. By the keyboard doing this, the volume coming through the speakers is much louder when playing live. I think the only way to get around this is to keep the APC/Sequencer volume set to max and get, hopefully, a very small mic preamp to get more gain on the mic volume. Is this correct? I have never used any form of preamp. If there is a small unit that I can put the mic connection in and then the preamp cable out into the input for mic in the keyboard I would appreciate knowing. Does anyone know of a very small preamp to buy? I am not using any form of p.a. amplifier because my speakers are powered. All I am having to do is go from the outs of the keyboard into the inputs of the speakers for great sound.

Mark

#67406 - 07/31/08 01:34 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#67407 - 07/31/08 04:16 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Fran for posting the link. I must say that I am sort of uncertain about it because it shows no picture, no size... I have no idea what I would be buying. With several inputs and outputs, it might be sizable and I am looking for the smallest unit possible. I don't want to carry anymore than I have to. I am surprised that this company doesn't show a picture of it or at least, give the size of it.

#67408 - 07/31/08 05:00 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://www.directproaudio.com/product.cfm?directid=49161

This is the discontinued model I have..they are small enough to put in your shirt pocket..

#67409 - 07/31/08 05:01 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sure looks like a picture in that link to me!

#67410 - 07/31/08 06:39 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Fran for giving a general size. Thank you, Uncle Dave. I brought up the link again and this time, I saw the image. I am still surprised that they don't list the size of the unit. Fran, how much power does this increase the mic volume? Looking at this unit, I am assuming you would put the quarter inch plug in the mic input and from looking at the unit, Channel 2 would be the volume control. Going out of the unit would be a cable using a quarter inch plug with a quarter inch plug into the keyboard. Right? Also, is there any noise by the mic volume being increased into the keyboard? As I have stated, I have never used any device like this for gain of any type. Thanks.

Mark

#67411 - 08/01/08 04:40 AM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Mark, You will need to be very careful when using a Mic Pre-amp into the KN's Mic input. You could end up overloading the Mic input circuit and causing distortion.

If you are using Panel Memories in your set-ups, you can set the 'On-screen' Sequencer/APC volume slider to a lower level and re-save all your Panel Memory settings. Leave the physical APC/Sequencer slider set to maximum. Using the Panel Memories to set the parameters during your performances, should correct the balance problem which you are experiencing.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67412 - 08/01/08 07:33 AM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
kitkat Offline

Bill, you have come up with an excellent way to get around this problem!!! To begin with, I am not pleased with having to buy any extra gear to take to a gig and this preamp would be one. I appreciate your warning of an overload in the mic input circuitry. Unless I have misunderstood you, I think in my case, since I have to drop the volume of the APC/Sequencer for the mic to be loud enough set a max when playing a sequenced song, I would leave the physical APC/Sequencer set at the lower volume and change my Panel Memories for live playing by setting the On-Screen APC/Sequencer volume lower as well. I don’t see how I could keep the physical APC/Sequencer volume set to max because that is the problem of too much coming through for the mic volume. I hope I have made myself clear. I have never used the On-Screen APC/Sequencer volume. It is always set to 127 and I have always considered that is where it should be because the physical setting has always been set to max. Thanks, again for coming up with this possibility. I hope you will further comment if I am wrong about the settings.

Mark

#67413 - 08/01/08 05:07 PM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Mark,
No, set the physical APC/Sequencer slider to Maximum. Adjust the 'On-Screen' APC level to a suitable value for each of your Panel Memories and store this new setting in each of the Panel Memories used in your perfomance. Then as you step through the Panel memories during either Live Performance or Sequence, the APC volume will be automatically adjusted to your pre-set levels.
However, it is probable that when you initially load a sequence, that the 'On-Screen' APC setting will default to Maximum (127), but there is a way round this. When you have recorded your sequence and set the individual APC levels for the Panel memories, note which Panel Memory is used at the start of the sequence - let's say it's Panel memory A1. Press the following sequence of buttons : Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > Step Record > 6/CTL. You will see the Step Record screen with the White Square cursor at the beginning first measure. Now press the button of Panel Memory which is used at the start of your sequence (for example A1). You should hear a short 'Beep' which indicates that the selected Panel Memory will be selected at the start of the sequence. Press Program Menus to return to the Home screen and Re-Save your sequence to SD Card / Disk. After you have loaded the Sequence, make sure that you press 'Fill In/Sequencer Reset'.

There is an unfortunate side effect which occurs when using the Sequencer playback - If you are viewing the 'Sequencer Play' screen (to which the system defaults after loading a sequence) and then during the playback, you decide to change back to the 'Home', the On-Screen APC volume will increase to maximum (127) which could be embarrasing
To avoid this, if you prefer to view the 'Home' screen during playback, then after loading the sequencer file, press EXIT to select the 'Home' screen and then press 'Fill In/Sequencer Reset'. You will then see the APC volume adjust to the pre-set value in the first Panel Memory.

Note that the Physical APC/Sequencer slider operates differently, depending on whether or not you are using Sequencer Playback. If you are playing Live - ie Sequencer turned Off, the Physical APC/Sequencer is linked to the On-Screen APC level so there will be interaction between these two controls and also the Panel memories. The actual APC volume level will be determined by the Last of these three controls to be altered.

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 08-01-2008).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67414 - 08/02/08 08:06 AM Re: A MIC PREAMP?
kitkat Offline

Hi, Bill –

I did some testing last night until it got too late to continue but everything you said is correct. I had no problem setting the changes in Panel Memories and filing them and they loaded the same way as filed. In other words, the APC “On-Screen” doesn’t default. A question – is the APC On-Screen set up exactly as the physical APC/Sequencer Volume? As you know, the On-Screen just shows APC. It could be because of not enough room to show Sequencer. This all sounds simple and easy but what I have run into is that this does not affect the Rt 1 and Rt 2 volumes. Dropping the On-Screen APC volume, the Rt 1 and Rt 2 tracks are way too loud and also have to be adjusted in every Panel Memory. It requires some work but I will get through it.

One other question – is there a very small compressor/limiter that the mic can be connected to and it go into the mic input in the keyboard? If so, is there any problem of it being an overload or whatever for the keyboard? I have already stated that I am not anxious to buy extra anything to take on a gig. I ask this because I have a very good mic that is directional. The old theory, the more directional the mic is, the more expensive it is. When singing, if you move away from it, even just a bit, the volume of the voice drops. A compressor/limiter solves this problem because it balances out soft sounds with controlling too loud sounds. I have a very fine large compressor/limiter that I have used for recording but I don’t want to consider it on a job.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online