SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62167 - 12/12/06 10:32 PM KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Hi,

I still own the KN7000 but have also been lucky enough to purchase the Tyros 2.
The vocal sounds on the Tyros 2 are in my opinion very weak, there's quite an interest on another forum to produce samples of vocal sounds so as they can be used as custom voices.

I've never owned the Expansion board (4) that contains the Soprano voice, but wondered does anyone have a recording they've made in MP3 format so as I could offer it as a demo of what the Soprano voice sounds like.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Kind regards

Peter L

#62168 - 12/13/06 03:15 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Peter,

I haven't recorded this, but for me the Soprano Soloist on the EW-04 was one of the few real disappointments on the KN7000. It is actually a composite of 3 different voices as follows:
C-2 to C#3, Boys Aah, from Bank Y (EW-04 board)
D3 to A4, Girls Aah, from Bank G (KN7000)
A#4 to G8, Vib. Female Aah, from Bank Y (EW-04 board)
The break points are very obvious and for me completely destroy the illusion of a real soprano. Editing the sound to try and provide a smooth transition did little to improve the situation.
This is one voice which unfortunately I must admit doesn't come anywhere near the equivalent provided on the Roland Atelier organs.

Len

#62169 - 12/13/06 06:55 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Peter Lowden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by manorcourt1991:
Hi Peter,

I haven't recorded this, but for me the Soprano Soloist on the EW-04 was one of the few real disappointments on the KN7000. It is actually a composite of 3 different voices as follows:
C-2 to C#3, Boys Aah, from Bank Y (EW-04 board)
D3 to A4, Girls Aah, from Bank G (KN7000)
A#4 to G8, Vib. Female Aah, from Bank Y (EW-04 board)
The break points are very obvious and for me completely destroy the illusion of a real soprano. Editing the sound to try and provide a smooth transition did little to improve the situation.
This is one voice which unfortunately I must admit doesn't come anywhere near the equivalent provided on the Roland Atelier organs.

Len

Hi Len,

Just goes to prove how we all hear things differently, I always thought it was superb!
in fact I remember trying to get the EXB 4 for my KN7000 and couldn't find one, I even telephoned several shops inc Whitley Bay Organs, who had many boards but not one with the Soprano voice, and if they did it was almost double the price of the others.

Still hoping someone can come up with a recording using to me anyway an incredible voice.

Kind regards

Peter

#62170 - 12/14/06 02:31 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
I'm following this topic with interest .
I own a Kn7000 with the extra 4 expansion boards fitted .
Because I think the female soprano voice is very good but it goes without saying that it is all a matter of personal opinion .
Len , Please tell us what has to be done to be able to find out the actual make up of this sound .
You tell us it is made up of 3 different sound combinations .
What is the procedure ?

I also would appreciate knowing how to sample this sound and then use it on another make of keyboard (that has voice creator /editing / sample facilities
but is weak on voice samples !!

Regards to you all ...........Giovanni

#62171 - 12/14/06 04:39 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
technicsplayer Offline

Giovanni, just select the voice, go to sound edit and look under tone page 1 and 2! (actualy low range is Boys Baa).

Len, I find the idea of finding a soprano (actually Tony Pegler's wife, a professional singer) who sings over 6 octaves quite amusing
All the acoustic instruments play outside their natural range by sample trickery, the alternative is to have unexpected silent keys for players who know nothing about the range of real acoustic instruments!

#62172 - 12/15/06 12:10 PM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Alec , Many thanks for answering my question .

#62173 - 12/16/06 12:17 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Peter Lowden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni:
I'm following this topic with interest .
I own a Kn7000 with the extra 4 expansion boards fitted .
Because I think the female soprano voice is very good but it goes without saying that it is all a matter of personal opinion .
Len , Please tell us what has to be done to be able to find out the actual make up of this sound .
You tell us it is made up of 3 different sound combinations .
What is the procedure ?

I also would appreciate knowing how to sample this sound and then use it on another make of keyboard (that has voice creator /editing / sample facilities
but is weak on voice samples !!

Hi Giovanni

The Soprano voice is an example of how Yamaha and Korg have still a long way to go.

Is there any chance you could record this voice in a short demo, without the use of auto accompaniment, even just a simple / slow run up through a scale.

All the best

Peter

#62174 - 12/16/06 07:39 AM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi Peter,

I do not have the EXB4, but a while back Alex Green sent me an MP3 using the Soprano Voice. Here is his Full Version of Ava Maria (3MB)

And here is a Short Demo Version of Ave Maria (270kb)

IMO, The Voices on the KN-7000 are unmatched by any keyboard. The EXP4 is even better. It's just incredible.

I hope I helped you all out. Anyway, it's not a bad deal to reminisce with Alex and the good 'ol KN-7000 days

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#62175 - 12/16/06 12:22 PM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
Peter Lowden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Hi Peter,

I do not have the EXB4, but a while back Alex Green sent me an MP3 using the Soprano Voice. Here is his Full Version of Ava Maria (3MB)

And here is a Short Demo Version of Ave Maria (270kb)

IMO, The Voices on the KN-7000 are unmatched by any keyboard. The EXP4 is even better. It's just incredible.

I hope I helped you all out. Anyway, it's not a bad deal to reminisce with Alex and the good 'ol KN-7000 days

Hi Larry,

Very much appreciated. The KN7000 does have some outstanding features / voices, even if it is a few years old now.

The vocal sounds on the Tyros 2 and organ are still nowhere near as good as on the KN7000. Yamaha need to re-vamp completely in this field when they bring out Tyros 3.

All the best and thanks again

Peter L

#62176 - 12/16/06 01:58 PM Re: KN7000 Soprano voice EXB 4
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi All,

Peter, firstly I must apologise for sidetracking your original request. I have attempted to remedy this by sending you some sample files (nowhere near as well played as Alex Green's Ave Maria).

Alec, yes it should have read Boys Bah, a late night blunder on my part. I had never intended to imply that any singer would have a six octave range . Most of the melodies for which I have attempted to use these voices fit within the range C3 to C5 and cover both break points in the Soprano Soloist voice. When necessary I usually avoid the lower break point by transposition or editing the voice, but I still find the upper break point somewhat disturbing. Obviously others don't, and yes I am aware that singers do have a natural break point in their range.
Finally it was never my intention to denigrate the performance of the actual singer or any of those whose involved in producing this sound. I felt that there was room for improvement here and had originally hoped that it might have been revisited and that some future date we might have been treated to voices for the full range of opera singers. Alas with the demise of the Panasonic Musical Instrument Division this was not to be. I still derive great pleasure from my KN7000 and will always appreciate the efforts of all involved in creating such a wonderful instrument. For me it still stands head and shoulders above any recent offerings from other manufacturers and I hope to enjoy it for many years to come.

Len

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online