SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44838 - 10/30/05 03:13 AM KN load button hiccupp
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi All
Has anyone had problems with "turbo load" on the KN7 ? (where the SD load button is held down,until the actual load menu appears) Ours has developed a problem over the last 3 weeks or so where it now flickers beween the menu screen & the load screen. If we try to load the old "one screen at a time way" it sometimes will not settle on the first screen either. It's a bit disconcering when gigging. Loading from favourites is fine, and so is loading from floppies. It is acting like a dirty switch contact,but I'm a bit reluctant to start dismembering it myself. Anyone had a similar problem??? ( and hopefully fixed it )
Regards to all
Eddie
P.S. Just noticed the "junior" has been dropped from the membership status. Time to play "That Old Feeling" I guess

#44839 - 10/30/05 05:01 AM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have also experienced this problem, twice to be exact. The first time was a faulty Panasonic SD Card would you believe? This was replaced with a new one which is working satisfactorily.

The second time was because the SD Card memory was overloaded despite the fact it was a 256mb card and showing just 38 Folders. Apparently, this was because I had several CUSTOM STYLISTS settings saved which uses up a great deal more memory than ordinary Panel Memory saves, so my suggestion to you is:-

(1) Try deleting one or more Folders (saving them to floppy or another SD card first) or

(2) if you know someone else with a KN7 try loading your SD card to their instrument and if it behaves in the same way, it has got to be the SD Card. At least you will know it is not your KN7 playing up.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U>K>)

#44840 - 10/31/05 03:17 AM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Sandgroper Offline

Hi Aud
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately no go. I saved all the 17 All Custom files I had and deleted them. As I have a back up SD card, I did it on both using KB delete on one and computer delete on the other, to no effect. Even worse, we have a KN2600 as an emergency back up and the cards load perfectly in that. I have tried initialize, both program and hard ( hold down 3 L H lower rythm group buttons while turnin on the KB ) but that makes no difference either.
HELP !!!!
Eddie
Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
I have also experienced this problem, twice to be exact. The first time was a faulty Panasonic SD Card would you believe? This was replaced with a new one which is working satisfactorily.

The second time was because the SD Card memory was overloaded despite the fact it was a 256mb card and showing just 38 Folders. Apparently, this was because I had several CUSTOM STYLISTS settings saved which uses up a great deal more memory than ordinary Panel Memory saves, so my suggestion to you is:-

(1) Try deleting one or more Folders (saving them to floppy or another SD card first) or

(2) if you know someone else with a KN7 try loading your SD card to their instrument and if it behaves in the same way, it has got to be the SD Card. At least you will know it is not your KN7 playing up.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U>K>)

#44841 - 10/31/05 04:26 PM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Eddie,

If your cards are o.k. on the KN2600 it does suggest your KN7 is at fault. However, I am not an expert on these matters but I know a man who is and he has been a great help to many on this forum, particularly to me.

May I suggest you ask TechnicsPlayer for help? He's your man!

Aud (U.K.)

PS I heard today that spare parts for Technics instruments will become obsolete at the end of next year - makes you think doesn't it?

#44842 - 10/31/05 04:42 PM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
If that's true,so much for the seven year support we were supposed to have had.

#44843 - 11/01/05 01:37 AM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Sandgroper Offline

Hi,and thanks again Aud
Belive you me, I know my best hope of assistance Aud, I'm just hoping he's reading these posts. I looked back over some notes I had made of his answers to other members queries in the past and found some posts on Ricki's problems after a lightning strike. I tried the factory initialization, suggested there, Holding down the top 4 rythm section buttons while turning on, but it's still reacting erratically. It's a bit worrying and the nearest service guy would be some 300 Kms away, so if I can get some advice it may save a trip. I'd hate it to die on me on a Gig. I can still remember back about 30 years ago, when an amp died like that. A wisp of smoke from the box and that was it. A KB with no internal speakers too Luckily there was a guitar player there. who raced home and got his small practice amp and we limped through the night with that.AAArgh. Alec Help.
Regards to all
Eddie

Quote:
Hi Eddie,

If your cards are o.k. on the KN2600 it does suggest your KN7 is at fault. However, I am not an expert on these matters but I know a man who is and he has been a great help to many on this forum, particularly to me.

May I suggest you ask TechnicsPlayer for help? He's your man!

Aud (U.K.)

PS I heard today that spare parts for Technics instruments will become obsolete at the end of next year - makes you think doesn't it?

#44844 - 11/01/05 12:46 PM Re: KN load button hiccupp
technicsplayer Offline

sorry, I've not seen this so have no contribution to make. It certainly sounds like contact problem from the description, so the panel has to come off, maybe a squirt of cleaner to the switch may help, or the switch needs replacing? If you switch on holding down F3 and F4, then press Panel Set it proves the SD led and circuits are working, but that cannot diagnose an intermittent mechanical problem with the switch. Good luck.

#44845 - 11/01/05 01:58 PM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Eddie,

I've just remembered that shortly after purchasing a full SD Card from Technote, one evening after loading the card, the first few folders were missing. It had been working o.k. up to that point so it had to be something I'd done and the suggestion was I had not allowed enough time for the little red light to go out before trying to load a file. This seemed a reasonable explanation to me so this is something else I now watch when loading an SD Card. Needless to say Technote staff kindly put it right for me FREE OF CHARGE and it has been working ever since (touch wood!).

Is it just the one card that misbehaves or all of them? I suspect you are a little wary of trying all your other cards in case the same thing happens again. I'm just curious.

I subscribe to a well known computer magazine and once or twice readers have written in to say they've lost photos off a memory card. Maybe these cards aren't as reliable as the good old floppy albeit they're slow to load. Personally, I'd rather have reliability.

Aud (U.K.)

#44846 - 11/02/05 05:50 AM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Sandgroper Offline

Thanks for the thoughts on the switch problem.
I did the diagnostic check and everything seems fine, I think the trouble is definitely in the switch.
I took the panel off and looked around, looks a bit complex in there and we have a gig tommorrow night, so decided discretion was the better part etc: and settled for a squirt of contact cleaner down the sides of the switch.This has made some definite improvement. I will try something further when I have more time before a job. Do you know any place where parts may still be obtained ? It would be nice to have the new part before dismantling if possible.
Thanks again for the assist.
Regards.
Eddie

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
sorry, I've not seen this so have no contribution to make. It certainly sounds like contact problem from the description, so the panel has to come off, maybe a squirt of cleaner to the switch may help, or the switch needs replacing? If you switch on holding down F3 and F4, then press Panel Set it proves the SD led and circuits are working, but that cannot diagnose an intermittent mechanical problem with the switch. Good luck.

#44847 - 11/02/05 05:57 AM Re: KN load button hiccupp
Sandgroper Offline

Hi again Aud
Thanks for the further thoughts. I'm fairly sure the fault is in the switch, as I've tried 3 different cards ( all backed up twice ) and it performed the same way each time. A squirt of contact cleaner down the switch has made some improvement, if I can get a new switch I will be right I think.
Thanks again.
Regards
Eddie

Quote:
Hi Eddie,

I've just remembered that shortly after purchasing a full SD Card from Technote, one evening after loading the card, the first few folders were missing. It had been working o.k. up to that point so it had to be something I'd done and the suggestion was I had not allowed enough time for the little red light to go out before trying to load a file. This seemed a reasonable explanation to me so this is something else I now watch when loading an SD Card. Needless to say Technote staff kindly put it right for me FREE OF CHARGE and it has been working ever since (touch wood!).

Is it just the one card that misbehaves or all of them? I suspect you are a little wary of trying all your other cards in case the same thing happens again. I'm just curious.

I subscribe to a well known computer magazine and once or twice readers have written in to say they've lost photos off a memory card. Maybe these cards aren't as reliable as the good old floppy albeit they're slow to load. Personally, I'd rather have reliability.

Aud (U.K.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online