SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54624 - 01/20/05 04:45 PM Loss of Sound
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Until two weeks ago, I was able to download and listen to nearly all songs sent in by members. However, for some unknown reason Windows Media appears to be playing as the tracks are 'dancing' but there isn't any sound.

I have checked to see whether the 'pause' button is on and whether the sound has been 'muted' but ALL check boxes are clear which I assume means they are not muted.

Has anyone any idea what has happened to an otherwise trouble free Windows Media Player and if so, how to deal with the problem?

I'd like to get this sorted as I enjoy listening to other member's renditions of some of my favourite songs and have learned a great deal from them.

Thanks in advance!

Aud(U.K.)

#54625 - 01/20/05 05:45 PM Re: Loss of Sound
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Audrey,
Check that the volume slider at the bottom of the WMP screen is fully to the right and that the 'MUTE' button, to the left of the slider is not pressed.
Check your email for a picture......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54626 - 01/21/05 02:57 AM Re: Loss of Sound
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Double click the speaker icon in the Systray, near the clock, see if all OK. Walter.

#54627 - 01/21/05 04:05 AM Re: Loss of Sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Audrey.
Happy new year to you for starters.
I had a problem like that.
A friend advised me to download. www.vanbasco.com Player.It works well for me.Both Bill and Walter are giving the answer to your problem.I did at a later date, Do as they have said,and Windows Media worked once more.Still Van Basco is a good one to have
Sincerely.
Joe.

#54628 - 01/21/05 12:11 PM Re: Loss of Sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE by Audrey Turner:
[B]Until two weeks ago, I was able to download and listen to nearly all songs.

Hi Audrey.
Regarding the problem you are having with Windows Media Player!!
After replying to your post, I tried Media Player. I was curios to see if
It still worked OK. I don’t use it often, anyway it didn’t work. I searched
And found that an auto upgrade had been installed. I had not noticed.
When I tried to play The nearest thing to crazy. Media came up by default.
When tried to play it through Van Basco, I could not hear it although the
Sounds and movement were there. I am no expert on the computer, but I
Will try anything. It’s a case of, fixing it yourself, or, give it to an engineer
And hope he is honest. I have found that if it is a small cock up, the charge is the same as a large cock up, so try first is my motto.
If you have not sorted out the problem. Then, I hope you are on Win XP. If not
Someone else will I feel sure will advise you. I tried very hard to uninstall Media.
But it writes itself all over the PC.I got rid of a lot of the files associated with Media.
Using find, I deleted them all except one which simply would not disappear.
I found an icon and used properties to see where the file was. It was in Program files.
I tried to delete from there, but the answer was always. Can’t delete, the file is being used by another program. I went into Run, Typed “REGEDIT” and accessed the registry, It did not show up in the registry!,
This is why I hope you are on XP. I went into System tools, then into System restore. I went back two weeks and let it restore to an earlier date. At the end of
The restore everything was back to normal. Media worked and so did Van Basco.
I can only put it down to the update. I hope you have sorted it Audrey!!.
Sincerely.
Joe.

#54629 - 01/21/05 12:39 PM Re: Loss of Sound
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Open Media player and then in the menus go to tools, options, file types.
check or uncheck the file types you want Media player to play or not play,
Bebop

#54630 - 01/22/05 12:47 PM Re: Loss of Sound
hbinfo2001 Offline

Loc: Quebec Canada
Hi I just have the same problem Yesterday with my laptop I run the Audio recorder on my kn7000 so I can burn them to a CD I transfer these file to my PC from my laptop.
My window media from my PC works fine But when I open my window media from my laptop there is no sound There is sound only vanbascos.May be the configuration Panasonic from the kn7000 is the problem?

#54631 - 01/23/05 03:34 AM Re: Loss of Sound
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Try the remedy I suggested above - it worked OK for Audrey

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54632 - 01/24/05 04:34 PM Re: Loss of Sound
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your suggestions on how to deal with the 'no sound' problem. I said I would keep you posted and I am happy to report that the problem has now been solved.

I received several personal emails on the subject the first one of which was from Bill Norrie (thanks again Bill). He suggested the 'mute' button shown on screen alongside the 'play' mode could be muted and sure enough it was. As soon as I removed the tick the sound was restored. I couldn't believe it was something so simple. I had been advised to click on the 'loudspeaker' which of course brought up the 'mute' screen and all boxes were unticked. I had checked cables, sound card, speakers etc. in fact everything I could think of except the 'mute' button which - for those of you who like me are not so 'au fait' with such things - apparently this button operates independently from other mute functions.

Anyway I am very happy to be able to listen to your music once more. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to send a rendition of my own.

Thanks again folks!

Regards

Aud (u.K.)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online