SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#46561 - 10/25/04 11:45 AM Need help--again.
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
There is probably a simple answer to this "dilemma," but I don't know what it is! So, as usual, I am asking all the experts here to help.

I have finished recording (using Easy Record) a song and I have saved it to a floppy disk. Now I would like to add an introduction and an ending to that song, hopefully without having to re-record the entire song. Is there some way I can record my beginning and ending (probably using the already prepared ones for the rhythm I am using), and then ADD them to the already recorded material? I have tried "Punching" them in, but when I play back, the new beginning and ending I want to add does not play. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance, my dear friends! (By thw way, I am playing a 7000.)

Ted

#46562 - 10/25/04 11:06 PM Re: Need help--again.
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
There is probably a simple answer to this "dilemma," but I don't know what it is! So, as usual, I am asking all the experts here to help.
I have finished recording (using Easy Record) a song and I have saved it to a floppy disk. Now I would like to add an introduction and an ending to that song, hopefully without having to re-record the entire song. Is there some way I can record my beginning and ending (probably using the already prepared ones for the rhythm I am using), and then ADD them to the already recorded material? I have tried "Punching" them in, but when I play back, the new beginning and ending I want to add does not play. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance, my dear friends! (By thw way, I am playing a 7000.)

Ted

Reply:

Dear Ted,

As we both play a 6K and 7K the only answer is to re-record the piece as, as far as I know Technics, bless their little cotton socks never got around to introducing a 'COPY & PASTE' facility as you probably use on your PC.

Most users we speak with, wether step or easy recording follow the same format as follows:

1 - Record the backing track including the intro, ending, etc.
2 - The control track for Fade In, Out etc.
3 - The melody (dies)

I'm afraid you're on a bit of a lost cause but as with all things, 'C'es La Vie'.

Regards,

Luce

#46563 - 10/26/04 02:24 AM Re: Need help--again.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted and Luce,

It can be done - I've done this in the past - give me a little time to dig out the procedure and I'll post back.
The insertion of an ending is easy it can be done by editing the control track. Monitor the sequencer playback and make a note of the bar number where you wish to insert the Ending. Then select Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > Step Record > CTL. Cursor forward to the start of the Bar number noted earlier and then press Intro/Ending 1 or 2. That should do it
The insertion of an Intro is a bit more complicated......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46564 - 10/26/04 05:06 AM Re: Need help--again.
Ted Rose Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Ted and Luce,

It can be done - I've done this in the past - give me a little time to dig out the procedure and I'll post back.
The insertion of an ending is easy it can be done by editing the control track. Monitor the sequencer playback and make a note of the bar number where you wish to insert the Ending. Then select Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > Step Record > CTL. Cursor forward to the start of the Bar number noted earlier and then press Intro/Ending 1 or 2. That should do it
The insertion of an Intro is a bit more complicated......

Thanks, Bill; now I am anxious to hear whether you can solve the Intro problem. The Ending works great! As usual, I knew I could count on you for a response. Now I'm at least halfway there!

Cheers and special best wishes,

Ted

#46565 - 10/26/04 09:12 AM Re: Need help--again.
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Ted,
Here's the procedure for adding an Intro to an existing sequence. I've checked it through this afternoon and it works OK.

1. Play the required Intro and check the number of bars used.
2. Load the sequence into which you wish to add the Intro. If you are using PANEL MEMORIES, make a note of which one is selected at the start of the sequence.
3. Press 'PROGRAM MENUS' > 'SEQUENCER' > 'COPY & PASTE' > 'MEASURE INSERT'. This will select the 'Measure Insert' Page.
4. In the left 'TRACK' column of the 'FROM' window, use the Up/Down keys to change to 'ALL'
5. In the 'FIRST MEASURE' column, select '4'
6. If the Intro is 4 Bars long, then in the 'LAST MEASURE' column, enter the value '7'
7. If the Intro is 3 Bars long, then in the 'LAST MEASURE' column, enter the value '6'
8. If the Intro is 2 Bars long, then in the 'LAST MEASURE' column, enter the value '5'
9. If the Intro is 1 Bar long, then in the 'LAST MEASURE' column, enter the value '4'
10. In the 'TO' window check that the 'TRACK' is sett to 'ALL'
11. Set the 'START MEASURE' to '1' and the 'REPEAT' to '0'
12. Press 'OK' and then 'YES'. This will just insert 1,2,3 or 4 bars, by copying one or more randomly selected bars, before what was the normal start of the sequence. This creates a space at the start, for insertion of the Intro. However, these extra inserted bars contain information which we do not want, so these bars will have to be Erased, but not Deleted, leaving blank bars for the length of the sequence Intro.
13. Press 'EXIT' once to return to the Copy & Paste screen.
14. Press 'MEASURE ERASE'
15. Set 'TRACK' to 'ALL' and 'FIRST MEASURE' to '1'
16. If the Intro is 4 Bars Long, set 'LAST MEASURE' to '4'
17. If the Intro is 3 Bars Long, set 'LAST MEASURE' to '3'
18. If the Intro is 2 Bars Long, set 'LAST MEASURE' to '2'
19. If the Intro is 1 Bar Long, set 'LAST MEASURE' to '1'
20. Set 'ERASE DATA' to 'ALL', press 'OK' and then 'YES'. We now have a number of blank bars at the start of the sequence.
21. Press 'EXIT' once to return to the Copy & Paste screen.
22. Press 'MEASURE COPY'
23. In the 'FROM' window, set the 'TRACK' to '6'
24. If the Intro is 4 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '5'
25. If the Intro is 3 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '4'
26. If the Intro is 2 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '3'
27. If the Intro is 1 Bar Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '2'
28. In the 'TO' window, set 'TRACK' to '6', 'START MEASURE' to '1' and 'REPEAT' to '0'.
29. Press 'OK' and then 'YES'. This copies the original sequencer control data to the new start position of the sequence.
30. Press 'EXIT' once to return to the Copy & Paste screen.
31. Press 'MEASURE ERASE'
32. In the 'TRACK' column, set to '6'.
33. If the Intro is 4 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '5'
34. If the Intro is 3 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '4'
35. If the Intro is 2 Bars Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '3'
36. If the Intro is 1 Bar Long, set 'FIRST MEASURE' and 'LAST MEASURE' to '2'
37. Set 'ERASE DATA' to 'ALL'.
38. Press 'OK' and then 'YES'. This erases the original sequencer control data from the old start position.
39. Press 'EXIT' twice to access the Seq. Menu page.
40. Press 'RECORD & EDIT' > 'STEP RECORD' > 'CTL'.
41. The Cursor should be positioned at the start of Bar1 beat 1 where you should see an asterisk.
42. With the Cursor still positioned at the start of Bar 1 Beat 1, Press the 'PANEL MEMORY' button which you noted earlier and is used at the start of the sequence. You should hear a 'Beep' as you press the button.
43. With the Cursor still positioned at the start of Bar 1 Beat 1, Press the appropriate 'INTRO/ENDING' button. (Beep)
44. Press 'EXIT' twice to return to the Record & Edit screen.
45. Press 'NOTE EDIT' > 'APC'.
46. Below the keyboard split point, play a brief single left hand chord, related to the key in which the sequence is played. So, if the sequence is in the key of C major, then play a C major chord. If in F Minor, play an F minor chord etc. You should see a pictorial representation of the notes played, in the left edge of the 'NOTE EDIT' screen. You may not hear any sound as a result of playing the notes.
47. Press 'PROGRAM MENUS' to return to the 'SEQUENCER PLAY' screen.
48. Press 'SEQUENCER RESET' (FILL IN 1) to ensure that the sequencer starts at the beginning.
49. Press 'START/STOP' and you should hear the Intro followed by your original sequence.
50. If all is well, when the sequence has finished, allow it to reset to Bar 1 the press 'PROGRAM MENUS' > 'SEQUENCER' > 'PANEL WRITE' > 'OK'.
51. Press 'SD Load' etc. and save your edited sequence.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#46566 - 10/26/04 12:13 PM Re: Need help--again.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark, Michie & Luce:

Dear Ted,
As we both play a 6K and 7K the only answer is to re-record the piece as, as far as I know Technics, bless their little cotton socks never got around to introducing a 'COPY & PASTE' facility as you probably use on your PC.

Most users we speak with, wether step or easy recording follow the same format as follows:

1 - Record the backing track including the intro, ending, etc.
2 - The control track for Fade In, Out etc.
3 - The melody (dies)

I'm afraid you're on a bit of a lost cause but as with all things, 'C'es La Vie'.

Regards,

Luce

I am afraid Luce that you have it completely wrong,copy and paste has been around in the Technics sequencer for as long as I can remember.

#46567 - 10/26/04 03:25 PM Re: Need help--again.
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Bill,

Your procedure would be a fine addition to the "Techtips" section of your website.

Best Wishes,

Chuck

#46568 - 10/26/04 03:58 PM Re: Need help--again.
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Chuck, That is my intention during the next update. I have some other stuff pending...

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#46569 - 10/26/04 08:28 PM Re: Need help--again.
Ted Rose Offline

Dear Bill!

I knew it! I just knew it!!!! You are the absolute greatest, and if no one else can answer a query, you always seem to get to the core of the matter and solve it! Thank you so much for solving what seemed to be an insoluble problem.

Why on earth don't you write a manual or book of the wonderful ideas and advice that you always seem to provide when we need it?

I wish I could offer you more than just my thanks, but perhaps that in itself will express my deep gratitude for your constant help.

A warm hug to a special guy!

Ted

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 10-26-2004).]

#46570 - 10/26/04 08:46 PM Re: Need help--again.
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
May I suggest the "How To Book" now avaialable in PDF Format for your computer.
Although originally published for the 6000/6500, many of the tips apply to the 7000.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum29/HTML/001438.html

Thanks to Walt Tenay for providing this service

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online