SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46722 - 10/26/03 07:02 AM Help Kn 7000 John C.
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am at a loss. I put my Kn 7000 on, pressed the SD yellow button to load a set up, and all the names I had written were gone. The data is is there, thank God, but what I see now is 001kn7 written in each section instead of thwe original titles. It's a 256MB SD card. And I am at a loss, this has never happen. I do have a back up of my 128MB SD card which has some of the same info. I gave the SD 128MB card to a friend in Arizona.

I'm in a slight, maybe not so slight place of panic, any help would be appreciated. John C.

#46723 - 10/26/03 12:19 PM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
it sounds like you've something's happened to your "KN7000MN" setup information file.

Your sd card has a no. of folders starting with
Private
Technics
KN7000
TFLD Folders Ranging fom 1 up to 99
and an icon that looks like a notepad called
"KN7000MN" setup information file.
This file as far as I'm aware holds the folders names etc ( the names you've given to folders & styles etc)

( there may also be one called KN7000MN .BAK which I'm assuming is a back up of sorts?)

Have you done any recent backups to your computer or only the 128mb one you mentioned.

Do you have an sd card reader? I use it for backups.
I normally do additional backups of my sd cards by doing a direct copy of the folder ( "private" & all the internal folders) from sd card to a no of folders in my computer. Update 1 , update 2 etc I do this using a card reader. I became a bit paranoid when I accidently formatted and wiped out one of my sd cards, but I was able to restore the contents from my computer.

The first thing I'd be inclined to do is get a back up of your 256 mb card.( just in case there's something strange going on with your card) And if you have a card reader do a direct copy of the "private and all internal folders" as well to your computer.

If you do your backups using the kn software provided, I'm not sure whether your 128mb backup will work with a 256mb card ( I have a feeling that you need the same size card for doing that type of restore, (hopefully I'm wrong) Even if it works you'd only end up with what was on your 128mb card, not what was on your 256mb card.
So before fiddling round, get a backup of your 256 mb card asap.

Maybe Alec may have a solution???

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#46724 - 10/26/03 04:17 PM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
bruno123 Offline

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

best wishes
Rikki

Rikki, Just responding to my help call helps. I have read through your post a few times, I'll go back to the keyboard and give it another try.

I may have shut off my keyboard in the middle of a save. I wonder if that could have caused my problem.

Thanks again Tikki, John C.

#46725 - 10/26/03 05:49 PM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
technicsplayer Offline

Hi John,
I received a mail bringing your problem to my attention. Almost certainly you switched off or opened the sd slot before saving had completed. Just because the sd is silent, unlike floppy disk, it is easy to forget to wait until the led write indicator is off before removing power.

If you are sure all of your files are present then all you have lost is the inf file which contains all the renamed file names. Since you are seeing the index file names in the screen it seems likely this file has not even been completed by the save, otherwise some long file names would be present.

The first rule in such circumstances is never to write anything else to the card before trying a file recovery strategy. If you have a card reader it may be possible to use a raw data recovery program to retrieve most of the inf file, or to chkdsk a file which may be able to be renamed to work. However there has to be a defined data area at the end of the file and if this is lost due to power cutoff it may be beyond recovery. From the sound of your description I fear this may well be the case.

Next if you are sure all your files are present, though un-named in 001kn7 etc form, and you have a card reader, then the best course would be to scandisk the card in the reader, or run a cmd box if in XP and chkdsk the card letter. If as many files as can be saved are confirmed I would just load file by file and resave each back individually on the 7000, renaming on the save, and finaly defragment the sd card in the card reader. Just take comfort during this job in the fact you lost only your long file names and not your data.
Good luck.

#46726 - 10/26/03 07:45 PM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Alec,
just wondering if the second file I found in my folder ( i'm assuming it's a normal part of the save system and not something I personally copied to the folder)

the file called KN7000MN .BAK (which I'm assuming is a back up of sorts?)

Would it somehow be possible to utilize it for restoration purposes if John's main "ini " file is damaged? Or there again, I suppose it would depend on how old the kn70000mn.bak file is, and whether or not new data has been saved or moved around on the card in the meantime.

Just a thought.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#46727 - 10/27/03 03:31 AM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Rikki,
it is something specifically created by your backup program or method so others will most probably not have it. You can easily test it by temporarily removing the inf file from your card and renaming the bak to inf and seeing if everything still works - or just open both in notepad and see if the contents are identical.

#46728 - 10/27/03 11:41 AM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Alec,
I actually tried an experiment last night on a spare sd card, and the .Bak file appeared automatically after a couple of saves on the kn7.
The .BAK file doesn't open up in notepad ( that's why I wasn't quite sure yesterday, as to what it was), so I renamed it in Ztree gold.( it didn't occur to me to just try renaming it)
Anyway, I replaced the original .INF file with the converted .BAK file and it appeared to work, okay. THe Folders & the couple of song names were still there.
So I got in touch with John last night, in the hope that MAYBE, this method might work for him. Fortunately he does already have a card reader.

Thanks Alec

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Hi Rikki,
it is something specifically created by your backup program or method so others will most probably not have it. You can easily test it by temporarily removing the inf file from your card and renaming the bak to inf and seeing if everything still works - or just open both in notepad and see if the contents are identical.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#46729 - 10/28/03 04:59 PM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Rikki,
if you open a notepad window and drag the bak file to it you will be able to see the contents fine.

#46730 - 10/29/03 03:32 AM Re: Help Kn 7000 John C.
bruno123 Offline

To all the kind people who have tried to help me, thank you, thank you very much.

I using my my blunder to clean up my disk. Since all the info is there, less the titles, I'm going through my files and cleaning up--being selective.

Thanks again, John C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online