#58840 - 07/24/03 10:30 AM Sound Edits
Brian Barton Offline

Loc: UK
Hi fellow musicians,
I think I'm not alone among many KN players
who have seldom if ever attempted to edit the
sounds on the board. In my last post to Bebop
I offered a zip file of sounds that someone
had edited and found that they were gratefully received so I thought I would start a thread on this seldom discussed subject.
Having looked at the way some of these sounds
were edited on my K7 I found that some suprising results can be obtained quite simply, for example if you want a piano with
a lot of punch & depth, select a strong piano
sound in Rt1 then press Programs then Sound Edit then Tone. You will see the 4 tones that
can be used to make the sound Plus the Vlevel
and Detune and Pan. I found that if the sound
selected is placed in Tone 1 & 2 and then panned one to left and one to the Rt and then
a different piano used in 3 & 4 panned to centre with the volumes adjusted to taste a
very rich sound can be produced.
As a novice at editing I am hoping that our
expert members could give some tips and details of their succesfull edits.
Happy Playing and all the best to all.
Brian.

#58841 - 07/24/03 01:30 PM Re: Sound Edits
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Brian,

I share your interest in sound modification using sound edit. I made a trip from Manchester to a place near Harrogate today and listened to Tony Pegler's CD "Its A Swing Thing". Tony produced the CD on the KN5000 and KN6000. The sounds he used had to be sounds he modified, and like you, I want to learn more about this very important feature. I would appreciate someone with experience in this area to share some great edits with us. We can learn from our experts. Maybe someone could write a short tutorial. I have Alec Pagida's "How Do I Do That?" book and he explains the steps used in Sound Edit. But a more detailed explanation accompanied by some examples would be a great teaching tool. Hopefully someone will respond.

Chuck

#58842 - 07/24/03 02:26 PM Re: Sound Edits
Brian Barton Offline

As an addition to my post, for those that are interested, I am compiling a set of edited sounds that I have copied from some of the sequences sent out by members. If you
check the sound memory on some of these you may find something useful. The way I am doing this is, first initialize the sound memory then insert the sequence disc and press load ONCE then go to page 3 and press Mode to scroll to Sound Memory, you can then
scroll through the edited sounds in the From Box for the sound you want and then choose a
slot in the Two Box and press load. When finished save your Sound Memory to floppy or
SD to be used the next time instead of initializing. I hope this is of some help to others like me who hav'nt tried this before.
All The Best
Brian

#58843 - 07/24/03 07:08 PM Re: Sound Edits
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Good thinking, Brian. I've always been on the lookout for new or improved styles, but haven't specifically looked out for new and improved sounds. I'd certainly be interested in your compliation of edited sounds.

Regards,
Mike

#58844 - 07/25/03 02:43 AM Re: Sound Edits
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
What a good idea Brian - I would certainly be interested in file(s) of sounds and fuller description and the logic of changing them. I have noticed and use members sound memories and find them extremely good and useful. Been meaning to get them together so they are readily available on call.

I think you could go on a months full time course for keyboards and logic/principles and still wouldn't scratch the surface.

Joan

#58845 - 07/25/03 03:32 AM Re: Sound Edits
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Sound Edit is not my best area. I created what I felt was a good trumpet,the next day when I listened, it sounded terrible. It's not easy, and it is subject to what our own ears relate to.
After much effort, my friend and I created a good trumpet. From that I made a few variations--Mellow, Strong, Sweet, ect.
The trumpet on the KN7000 has come close, in some cases better.
I do have a violin that I love.(not strings)Technics has not come close to that one.

On that note--Yes, you have a great idea, let's get it going. What's the first step, Brian, Joan, Mike, and Chuck? This should be fun, and we have an opportunity to learn and to improve our keyboards.

Interested one, John C.

#58846 - 07/25/03 06:49 AM Re: Sound Edits
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Brian,
Good idea! I started compiling and saving new sound edits when I had the KN2000. A lot of them still sound pretty good on the KN7000 and with a little tweaking, (which I haven't gotten around to yet), could be useful. If we get this thing going, I can contribute.
Walt

#58847 - 07/25/03 07:50 AM Re: Sound Edits
Brian Barton Offline

I would like to thank you all for your replies and interest in my post and I am hoping that we get lot more members contributing. My compilation is slow as I am
being rather selective in my choice of edited
sounds that I might personaly use but when I
have a reasonable amount I would be more than happy to offer it to anyone who might be
interested.
Brian.

#58848 - 07/25/03 01:38 PM Re: Sound Edits
Brian Barton Offline

John
I think one small step for man and one giant
leap for the forum, would be some details of
your excellent violin edit.
brian.

#58849 - 07/26/03 04:51 AM Re: Sound Edits
Brian Barton Offline

Hi Walt,
Your compilation sounds interesting, and your
offer to contribute when its ready is appreciated.
We are still waiting for tips and ideas for
mixing tones.
All The Best,
Brian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online