SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59197 - 07/21/03 07:16 PM Composer Record "Pitch Point"
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I believe the KN7000 has this feature and hope someone can explain in layman terms what it does.

Since I have a PR804 the way to get to the area in question may not be same on the KN's.

Go to composer record, one must select a memory A, B or C and a variation. You will have to pick a Part. Go to PART SETTING first page, here you should see the sounds in the APC Parts. Drum1/2, Bass, Accmp1 etc...

To the questions at hand:

What is Pitch Point, the theory behind it?
Will this take effect using Easy Record or just using Step Record? Is there an example on how I can hear the difference when using different pitch points?

Thanks, Anthony

#59198 - 07/22/03 01:38 PM Re: Composer Record "Pitch Point"
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Anthony,
Since you don't have access to a KN7000 manual, the following may help...
Direct Quote from the KN7000 Manual.....
"PITCH POINT.
The pitch at which the pattern progression sound is lowered by one octave. When the root note of the specified chord, is higher than the set pitch point, the pitch of that part is automatically lowered by one octave, thus avoiding an unnaturally high accompaniment pitch. This is effective only for the part which the 'Melody' group was selected in CHORD MODIFY CHANGE" End of Quote.
Since this is part of the Composer Pattern, it should take effect in Easy Record. It's not something which I have 'played with' or payed very much attention.

Hope this helps

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-22-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59199 - 07/22/03 02:35 PM Re: Composer Record "Pitch Point"
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Anthony,
my understanding is that if you were playing a style for a particular song, and just say all the 3 accomp parts had the pitch point set to "f", the style might sound okay when the c chord is played, still sounds okay when an f chord is played but when you play a g chord some parts may sound too muddy or squeaky ( because the loop being played is too high or too low )you can actually change the pitch point of the offending style part to a different pitch point , and the style should sound better .
p.s.
Just ignore my chord examples as my musical theory is up the put ( heehee)
best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#59200 - 07/22/03 04:35 PM Re: Composer Record "Pitch Point"
AnthonyCian Offline

Thanks Willum Rikki:
Willum, the PR804 manual has the same info, but could not make heads or tails of it.

Rikki your explanation helps, I will practice with this funtion somemore to see if I can find an example setting so I can hear the change, if that's possible.

Thanks, again

Anthony

#59201 - 07/22/03 10:38 PM Re: Composer Record "Pitch Point"
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Anthony,
I think I first picked up on it when I loaded some of my kn styles into my pr602. From memory, I think I first decided to try it on a couple of styles that had piano arpeggio's. They were starting way too low &muddy when I played certain chords. I just kept altering the pitch point till the song I was playing sounded better

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#59202 - 07/23/03 04:48 PM Re: Composer Record "Pitch Point"
AnthonyCian Offline

Hi Rikki

Yes, when loading from different models or even older PR's to PR's the original set points on certain functions are not the same. Most effected are the volume settings and the left gets one octave lower.

Thanks, for the feedback.

Anthony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online