SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61450 - 06/10/03 10:54 AM Bill's anger
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Bill --- So sad to pick up your recent e-mail, expressing your view of the active participation of all those on your mailing list. It sounds like a very sad indictment of many members.
Having regard to the fact that 'you' are the central and pivotal 'activist' working on our behalf, every mail sent in any direction, gives you work to do. I am not personally computer-knowledgeable enough, to know what sort of workload you have to deal with. But, is it possible, that people don't send e-mails because of loading you up with work. ? Just a thought. !
If, on the other hand, your main concern is the fact that not enough people are:-

(a) Sending in recorded songs.

or

(b) That not enough people are expressing what they feel about these songs, and/or, not showing any gratitude.
it's a different can of worms. !

I can fully appreciate how you feel, but, it has occured to me Bill, that there may be an aspect of the matter, which you 'might' have overlooked. !! Which is:-

That many of us who do receive e-mailed thanks and comments from others, immediately strike up an ongoing e-mail rapport with such people, 'WHICH YOU MIGHT NEVER GET TO HEAR OF'. !!! I have personally received many e-mails which come into this category, and I have little doubt that others do so.

As I see it, the expressed gratitude of people, is either posted onto the forum (in which case you know about it), or done privately, in which case you might not get to hear of it.

Nonetheless, I have little doubt that all memmbers will understand precisely why you feel as you do, and hopefully (for our sakes) the situation will improve, by virtue of increased 'consideration' for the efforts of others. -- NB:- having said all this, I personally have been over the moon with the amount of comment I've received. T'would be a crying shame if it all collapses. - Colin

#61451 - 06/10/03 12:55 PM Re: Bill's anger
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
I confess - I am one of those guilty of rarely offering my thanks directly to those who contribute songs for us. I don't suppose I've sent thanks to much more than half a dozen folk altho I have occaisionly voiced a general "thank you to all" on the forum, and I'll repeat that here. I've listened to all contributors and have both mentally thanked them for great performances, and at the same time cursed them for keeping me away from my keyboard!
I've also been a bit envious of the quality of the playing etc and felt a bit hesitant of sending in much of my work - but am working on preparing some easy recorded stuff and hope to put that out before too long.
I don't know why we are so niggardly in sending thanks - perhaps a bit of laziness, a bit of just not thinking that a "thank you" would be appreciated, perhaps even one of finding time. I dunno.
I agree with Frank Bez's comments - leave things as they are, hope that more of us remember our manners and pray that Bebop doesn't stop sending out all that great music.

Ogre

#61452 - 06/10/03 02:40 PM Re: Bill's anger
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Colin;

I to hope Bill does not stop sending out our songs for I feel this is the most enjoyable part of this forum.

I just finished listening to your 3 new songs and enjoyed them very much. I took the liberty of raising the volume of your vibes on "Tea For Two" and thought it really sounded better.
We learn so much from each other that to take that away would be very sad for this forum.

I personally do not care if no one ackowledges my songs. I am going to keep sending them out to Bill until he stops sending them to our 7000 players.

I have always felt that the heart of this forum is our music. Take it away and there will be an emptiness.

Alex

#61453 - 06/10/03 08:31 PM Re: Bill's anger
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
You know, having been on both sides of the fence, so to speak, I have mixed feelings about this topic like many others. I have made available to forum members 120+ songs over the last few years, and I haven't received that many replies, good or bad, for the work involved, but I won't quit trying until people email me to stop flogging a dead horse and quit with the music. I know my playing isn't that good, but still, with each song you get a free style to put into your library, so you don't even have to listen to the song to get the free style. A win - win situation, right? Once in a while I do get a nice email from someone that actually enjoyed my efforts, and believe me, that makes it all worthwhile!! If I can touch one heart, one soul, then the rewards are much greater than the work and I will carry a smile for days. You see, it isn't the amount of praise that counts, its the quality that makes all the difference. One nice email makes up for the hundred that didn't come in, and I treasure the contacts and friends I've make around the world through the Technics forums. Being a loner by nature, it really takes a lot for me to even write on this forum, let alone expose my lack of musical talent by sending in songs, so understand that every email I got for my efforts encouraged me to go one step more and send in another song. Also, like some of the others, I too, have been lax in sending out proper thanks to those who sent in songs. For this, I apologize to all concerned, for my laziness and lack of good manners. I have all the songs stacked in a folder on my computer and when I get spare time, I pull some out and pop them in the keyboard. I hope my tardiness won't discourage anyone from submitting new songs, or maybe, that one person that has been mulling over their first song for the forum. Don't worry, if I don't like your work, you'll never know, but I do appreciate your efforts and I know from experience how hard it was to send in the first file. When I listen to some of the great music that comes in from different musicians, I realize just how basic my music is, but I'll keep trying because the work isn't really work at all - more a labor of love. I just wish I could have had this keyboard 30 years ago!

#61454 - 06/11/03 12:58 AM Re: Bill's anger
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi forumfriends,
my deep respect for those who takes an vulnarable attitude. That’s one of the great benefits of this forum. That’s why I feel ‘home’ in this forum. There is a great potency of wisdom in this forum available.
To my humble opinion we, as musicians, share more, much more than our songs! That is the feelings/passions we put in our playing : the styles, the sounds, the arrangements, the composition. Instrumental, without words, but … full of passion.
That is what I hear in music. That’s why I manytimes loves much more a song of a starting player because I sometimes miss those feelings in the song of an ‘over-skilled’ professional.
And further feelings are visible in the way we react in this forum: warm, kindly, with respect, helpful, giving disinterested energy, giving positive feedback AND the subject of this post. This make this forum so ‘special’.
I understand Bill’s anger more or less. It are emotions/passion what belongs to musicians, to people. To my opinion it is good to point at this item. Manytimes it gives a new impuls, in a moment of reflexion, on the things we are busy with. The persistent attention to decency, norms and values is an issue that is worldwide worth to maintain.
Speaking for myself; I much appreciate when people send me their gratitude. For that I agree with the fellow-members above, I cannot say it better. I don’t do things for receiving applause, for my profession or …. I am very glad with those few reactions. Besides: Bill told about 17.000 visitors, our mailbox would explode…
I hope, no I know, that Bill (and Nigel at the background) realize that the work and energy they put in this forum is appreciate very much. I respect Bill's persist in asking attention to ‘other’ values than sharing music. I wrote him, OK, go on: but think of your ‘bloodpressure’ .
Bill, Nigel and all forumfriends, thanks for the sharing of all your contributions AND your feelings.
With warm feelings and let your keyboard speak,
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 06-11-2003).]

#61455 - 06/11/03 06:13 AM Re: Bill's anger
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ogre .. reading your post, I felt that it could have been written by me ... not only have I been remiss (on more than one occasion) in sending a "thank you", but I was also VERY hesitant about sending in any of my work ... however, I did eventually, and the response was great, which told me that I should be more responsive to others, and that none of us should hesitate share our talents, at whatever level, with others...
keep making beautiful music...
t.

#61456 - 06/11/03 06:24 AM Re: Bill's anger
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Colin, Alex G., Bud, Cees,and Tony:
Very well put, gentlemen. you reflect my sentiments exactly.
I also believe that even though the majority of members may not verbally respond (for whatever reason), they feel the same way in their hearts.
So, hang in there everybody and keep those songs coming. YOU ARE APPRECIATED!
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 06-11-2003).]

#61457 - 06/11/03 01:02 PM Re: Bill's anger
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Nice to read such honest responses to my message. Even nicer to read all the many differing views on the subject. All have validity, and all without doubt, have a very admirable trait of honesty. How refreshing.

One thing is patently obvious. We all do what we do because of the love of music. In the process, we make friends. We learn from others, both musically and technically. And above all we learn, that people are basically kind. And have no wish to be inconsiderate to others. Even though our hectic and busy lives make it look that way at times. We do our best to be well-intentioned, and that is the essence. - Colin.

#61458 - 06/11/03 04:11 PM Re: Bill's anger
Anonymous
Unregistered

Colin,

You and others have hit the nail on the head. One cannot expect 100% response from our endeavors in life. My wife and I send Birthday and Aniversary greetings but do not always receive one..........but we keep sending.

Understand Bebops concern as a dedicated moderator and love you for all you have done for us.

Fran in Florida

#61459 - 06/12/03 05:14 AM Re: Bill's anger
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
To all my Forum Friends (and that includes everyone here!!:
I just posted this message in another thread, ("Touching Lives"), but I am taking the liberty of re-posting it here so it doesn't stray; if you have read it elswhere, please read it again (with the emoticons ) Maybe saying it TWICE isn't too bad of an idea at that!

Ted Rose

ORIGINAL MESSAGE (minus emoticons):

I, too, was disturbed by BEBOP's comments about his dissatisfaction with the lack of personal and private e-mails that perhaps he feels each of us should send to all the wonderful musicians who contribute their songs to us all for our enjoyment, whenever we are sent a ZIP file or other joyous contribution. I must echo that sentiment, but then I think to myself, have I acknowledged all the great ZIP files that I have received? And I am embarrassed because I think I, too, am guilty of not doing so every time. So, I want to make this public statement of thanks to ALL the great guys and gals who have made my life so much richer by taking the time to share their work. And, BEBOP, and all the rest of you to whom I may owe an apology and a belated thank you, I hope that this PUBLIC response will indicate that I, among many others who are equally guilty, I'm sure, do indeed appreciate it all. Life has a habit--a bad habit --of slipping away and the older one gets the faster it seems to slip! So, BEBOP, be kind and know that negligence is not always a sign of non-appreciation, but just the result of too many things happening and too little time. Einstein was so right: time is relative! When I was a child, days sometimes seemed eternally long; now that I am "mature" even the years seem to fly at a too-rapid pace, not to mention the individual days that melt into fleeting obscurity in an instant. So, again, in public, and shouting it aloud to ALL of you, my dear, dear Forum friends: THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 06-12-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online