SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#55419 - 01/18/03 11:13 PM Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Jer Offline

Loc: Delay Beach Florida
This was a very interesting afternoon. I have a friend John who has both a Kn6500 and a Kn7000 - and Monroe and I who are both KN2000 players went to visit him and listen to both wonderful keyboards - especially interested in how they would sound using disks from the Kn2000.

There was unfortunately no Yamaha Tyrontasurus Rex to stock them up against - but it was enough to have both Technics keyboards under one roof.

Both of these are very fine keyboards - but it soon became obvious that the built in monitors of the Kn7000 were more powerful that the KN6500.

But what was the downside - more weight! this is the bugaboo of all the new keyboards - in order to present all the exotic technology with it's almost unending sophistication - comes a corresponding increase in girth and weight. I understand that Yamha's approach is to remove the speakers and that bit of surgery removes several pounds. However that makes it a marvel of silence... Great thinking Yamaha!
You still need speakers to hear it, so that is only a partial answer.

I think that the designers of these fabulous instruments are losing sight of the real world - that is they are supposed to be portable units that can be lifted and moved without undergoing a body building course.

If this path of ignoring weight watchers continues - the keyboards will have to become motorized - and equipped with steering and brakes - looking something like a ride on mowing machine!

At that time it wont be Technics and Yamaha - It will be BMW vs Lexus.

Do keyboard engineers ever read these cries for help by the people who spend the money for their products? I wonder.

It's nice to have a great keyboard - but tell me how do you get it out of your house and onto the stage without rupturing yourself?

Did anyone tell them that some of the people buying these products are women - or older people?

Maybe the solution to the problem is to build a keyboard in two segments - one holding the keys and part of the electronics - and the other half of the weight in a separate unit that sits on the floor, perhaps containing front firing audience speakers and rear facing monitors for the player.

That way the weight could be divided into two units - and portability would be a possibility.

Now some people I speak to are buying these monstor keyboards - and leaving them home -

One is doing performances on CD recordings he makes - He's on the stage with a light weight keyboard - like my old Kn2000. Remember those days?

Hey Mr Engineer - did you ever do a gig where you had to bring the equipment onto a stage?

I doubt it.

Jerry

#55420 - 01/19/03 01:59 PM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jerry,
Weight is a drawback for gigging pros but does not mean a thing to us home users.

I would guess that the bulk of the boards sold are to home users. Now that they do not make home organs, this is the replacement. The added weight of the amps and speakers come closer, in sound, to the home organ.

Fran in Florida

#55421 - 01/20/03 10:25 AM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Fran,
I agree with most of what you say but here in the U.K. home organs are still available from several manufacturers including Technics, Yamaha and Roland, but at around five times the price of our 7000 top of the range keyboards.
I don't know how they can justify this high cost because all you get is a larger piece of furniture, a pedal board two manuals, and perhaps bigger loudspeakers. The sounds, styles etc are no better or more extensive than what we get in our keyboards,

Love from Ogre

#55422 - 01/20/03 10:42 AM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ogre,
The last Organ produced by Technics listed in the USA for $69,000. The 7000 electronics are far superior. Add a separate speaker system and the Technote Pedal Board for a cost of less than 10% of that organ.
The Organ industry in the U.S. was brought down by dealer geed.

Fran in Florida

#55423 - 01/20/03 02:26 PM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
QUOTE:
The Organ industry in the U.S. was brought down by dealer geed.
Fran in Florida

They are now piano and keyboard dealers and they might again be brought down again by greed
Bebop

#55424 - 01/20/03 03:45 PM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bebop,
Thanks for correcting my typing. Should take my time and proof read.

You are correct about the Piano/Keyboard dealers. The cost in Florida for the 7000 is a good example. Under $3000 to $4800. The $3000 and under must all be making a profit.

It is time for Technics to put their Keyboards on an open market, like there other electronic gear. Competition works best for buyers.

Fran in Florida

#55425 - 01/20/03 09:10 PM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Dear weight watchers,

At my age I tote my seven, my speaker systems, my tripods, my music stand with light, the bag with wiring, extensions, mike and the like, my mike stand and last but not least the music case. With a seventy six year old five foot two wrinkled body with no teeth and missing some inward body parts I have nothing to complain about. I got a lot of silver wavy hair on top. And that is my very own. Have a good pair of choppers I can slide in in the AM and slide out in the PM and they do wonders for my smile. I have a number of cool rags that cover up my wrinkly body. Some snazzy shoes for the bottom end. I have a mind that seems to have not aged with my body, a sense of humor that can move a crowd and I don’t care if Ruthie says it might be a bit warped. Heavy equipment? Wish it could all be a bit lighter? For today, nothing but a dream.

Technics Engineers - are you out there? Very much, I would say! Are they listening? Very much, I would say. Ask yourself, does a ford ride and handle like a lincoln? Does a chevy ride and handle like a caddie? Come on auto engineers - are you out there? That kind of statement doesn’t make any sense, does it? You get what you pay for most of the time. Our KN’s do not weigh as much as some of the other top end brands but sure sound much better, have a much better OS, are made of much higher quality material, do not have wimpy keys and the quality control is much better. On top of that the latest technology. No one but us KN owners have all this in their boards. When you take in consideration the cost is no more than a lot of the others I think the technics engineers have done a great job.

Poor old Uncle Herman. Ya, Ruthies poor old Uncle Herman. Always dreaming about something he wished would be. Always lived in never never land. Never fulfilled. Never really happy with anything he had. Never could get a grasp on the now. As I formed my fingers around the cold brassy rod on the side of poor old Uncle Herman’s casket and lifted at the nod of the man dressed in black I could not help thinking, Unk, sure wish you could have seen things like they are when you had life. Then all six of us walked to the hole. The deep dark hole. The man in the black suit nodded and we lowered poor old Unk on the clean green straps above the black hole for his last ride. His ride down to the bottom. As I slowly uncurled my fingers from the now warm brass rail I could not keep the tear from rolling down my cheek. By George, I thought, I’m alive! Nothing I can do to stop that tear but I sure can give the rest of my life the best I can give and enjoy the best I can afford for it.

So here I am. Enjoying the best I can buy and giving the best I can give today. Not what I hope for tomorrow but what is today. No compromising! No complaining! I have never seen work kill anybody. I’ll carry, setup, play, tear down and enjoy it all till I can’t anymore. Technics engineers are you out there? Listen! Gramps wants to thank you. You guys did a great job. A cut above the others. A great package. Please don’t butcher it. Don’t remove the great amp and speaker system. Don’t use a wimpy keyboard. Don’t use cheep materials. Don’t. Please don’t, just for the sake of diet. Just for the sake of a few pounds. Please!!! Pretty Please? And that’s the way this old guy looks at those young, energetic, technics engineers who some think are deaf.

Grandpa Doug

#55426 - 01/21/03 01:48 AM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Well said Gramps. Even if the message was in 'stereo'
John

#55427 - 01/21/03 04:29 AM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Grandpa,

For someone five feet two inches tall, you sure pack a big punch. Your philosophical approach to life is obviously born out of many years of living, and is refreshing. And might I add - RIGHT ON! You have a wonderful attitude.

Recent generations didn't grow up when record players played 78s, when radio was the only broadcast medium, when milk came in bottles, and life moved along at a much slower pace. We had (and took) the time to reflect on life and appreciate its simple pleasures when you and I were growing up. At least I did because my parents believed it was important and they practiced what they preached. Nowadays, people are used to a culture where the latest yesterday is obsolete today; where the greatest today is something they wouldn't consider buying tomorrow because a brand new "greatest" just hit the store shelves. They seldom seem to appreciate what they have and what it can do.

My youngest son grew up in the age of desktops, laptops, floppies, CDs, stereos, color television and so on. For him, computers are never fast enough, never contain enough storage space and - well you get the idea. My grandson's bedroom is crammed so full of toys and technology, there is hardly room for his bed!

I'll share a short true story. Many years ago I had a Commodore 128 computer and was working with a spreadsheet one evening. It had a feature that allowed one to turn off the calculation step, thus delaying the calculation process until all entries had been completed. My son wanted to use the computer that evening and was getting a little "antsy". Know what I mean? Of course the Commodore was slow by today's standards and when I pushed the "calculate" button, the calculation process took several minutes. My son complained it was too slow. I told him, "Son, it is fast enough for me. I didn't have a computer when I was growing up. I'll just go make a cup of tea while it calculates and when I finish drinking my tea it will be done and you can have the machine."

I suppose it would be nice if our KNs were a little lighter but like you, I am happy with them as they are. I didn't have a KN when I was growing up so I am going to enjoy mine to the fullest while I can.

I repeat Grandpa, I like your attitude.

Chuck

#55428 - 01/21/03 10:20 AM Re: Technics Engineers - are you out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Granpa n Chuck,
Well spoken........generation gap.....you betcha.

Fran in Florida (another grey top)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online