SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56368 - 01/21/03 10:42 AM SD Card - Types
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi All
Yesterday I Restored and Backed up about 50Mb of songs on two different makes of SD card. The results were:-
Panasonic Card - Back up time 3 minutes
Restore Time 10 minutes

Sandisk Card Back up time 10 minutes
Restore time 30 minutes

The times are approximate but are for the identical data.

It would seem that the Panasonic SZ-CB7 USB reader/writer prefers it's own make.

John

#56369 - 01/21/03 10:55 AM Re: SD Card - Types
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

Very interesting. I am only using SanDisk reader and cards. Why does it take 3 times longer to restore? My computer is 2.4gb.

Fran in Florida

#56370 - 01/21/03 11:17 AM Re: SD Card - Types
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
As Fran says "Very Interesting" John, were both cards of the same total capacity? All my cards are of different capacity so I don't think I can really run a meaningful comparison.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56371 - 01/21/03 11:55 AM Re: SD Card - Types
John North Offline

Hi Bill & Fran
The Panasonic is a 128Mb SD card whereas the Sandisk is 256Mb. However, I would not have thought the capacity should make so much difference. Both disks had been formatted in the KN7 and obviously both have the same number of folders etc. Also I used the same Backup file to restore to both SD cards - but still there was 20 mins difference. I'd be interested to know if anyone else with different makes of SD card do a similar test.
Also Bill, you may recall I mentioned how the amount of space used on the Panasonic SD card had suddenly gone from 33% to 0% and started counting again. (Although the space left in Kbs appeared to be still working OK) When I Backed up the Panasonic 128Mb SD card it was showing 6%. I used that Back up to restore to the Sandisk 256Mb and it showed 3% - so the formatting didn't solve that little problem. I've e-mailed Chris Whitehead who is going o look into it.
John

#56372 - 01/21/03 12:04 PM Re: SD Card - Types
John North Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John North:
[B]Hi Bill & Fran
The Panasonic is a 128Mb SD card whereas the Sandisk is 256Mb. However, I would not have thought the capacity should make so much difference. Both disks had been formatted in the KN7 and obviously both have the same number of folders etc. Also I used the same Backup file to restore to both SD cards - but still there was 20 mins difference. I'd be interested to know if anyone else with different makes of SD card do a similar test.

Bill, you may recall I mentioned how the amount of space used on the Panasonic SD card had suddenly gone from 33% to 0% and started counting again. (Although the space left in Kbs appeared to be still working OK) When I Backed up the Panasonic 128Mb SD card it was showing 6%. I used that Back up to restore to the Sandisk 256Mb and it showed 3% - so the formatting didn't solve that little problem. I've e-mailed Chris Whitehead who is going o look into it.

Fran - as you are using both Sandisk reader & cards, what sort of times do back up and restores take??

Finally out of curiosity I backup up my Panasonic 8Mb card (65% full) On the stopwatch the backup took 18 seconds and the restore 54 seconds.

As 'She who must be obeyed' said - little things please little minds
John

#56373 - 01/21/03 12:06 PM Re: SD Card - Types
John North Offline

Hi Bill & Fran

Bill, you may recall I mentioned how the amount of space used on the Panasonic SD card had suddenly gone from 33% to 0% and started counting again. (Although the space left in Kbs appeared to be still working OK) When I Backed up the Panasonic 128Mb SD card it was showing 6%. I used that Back up to restore to the Sandisk 256Mb and it showed 3% - so the formatting didn't solve that little problem. I've e-mailed Chris Whitehead who is going o look into it.

Fran - as you are using both Sandisk reader & cards, what sort of times do back up and restores take??

Finally out of curiosity I backup up my Panasonic 8Mb card (65% full) On the stopwatch the backup took 18 seconds and the restore 54 seconds.

As 'She who must be obeyed' said - little things please little minds
John

#56374 - 01/21/03 04:00 PM Re: SD Card - Types
Anonymous
Unregistered

John/Bill,

This may be a case of compatibility. From what I have read on the forum and elsewhere, the Panaonic reader is faster than other makes when working with Technics format. Have not seen the actual technical data but would like to before spending 4 times the cost of my Sandisk Reader. Speaking of compatability, my digital camera (Olympus) allows for panoramic photos with their cards, but not with other makes.

My comment about, why it takes 3 times longer to restore than save, still puzzles me.

I backed up 48mb from a 156mb card and restored to another 156mb card. Both Sandisk. Backup 17min. Restore 45min. (approx. no stop watch)

Fran in Florida

#56375 - 01/21/03 04:24 PM Re: SD Card - Types
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John - Looks like you too have got a dose of the 'Stereo Stutters'
Since your results show that the larger capacity card took the longest time, I'm wondering if 'Write Time' is related to the size of the card. Maybe the backup and restore operations write to ALL the memory locations on the card, irrespective of the actual quantity of data. ie Real Data and then just blank data.
I know that when programming an EPROM chip from a computer, using an EPROM programmer, generally, the entire memory is written to - even though only a few locations contain actual data.
Does anyone have say 128Mb and 256Mb or 64Mb and 128Mb cards of the same manufacture? If so, it would be possible to determine whether the same thing happens or if it is possibly a difference in manufacturer spec.
I think the 'Memory remaining/used' counter problem is probably a minor bug in the KN7000 software.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-21-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56376 - 01/23/03 01:06 PM Re: SD Card - Types
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI JOHN/Bill/FRAN

It's would seem to me(correct me if i'm wrong)that if these times are correct then it is better to have several 64mb SD's rather than one massive one and on looking on the technote prices there is no advantage in price in having the larger ones. I must admit that I have not gone into this area of the Keyboard in a big way as yet due to time restrictions but would it not be as quick to keep several 64mb ones, each with different groups of styles on each?

regards
pete b.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi John - Looks like you too have got a dose of the 'Stereo Stutters'
Since your results show that the larger capacity card took the longest time, I'm wondering if 'Write Time' is related to the size of the card. Maybe the backup and restore operations write to ALL the memory locations on the card, irrespective of the actual quantity of data. ie Real Data and then just blank data.
I know that when programming an EPROM chip from a computer, using an EPROM programmer, generally, the entire memory is written to - even though only a few locations contain actual data.
Does anyone have say 128Mb and 256Mb or 64Mb and 128Mb cards of the same manufacture? If so, it would be possible to determine whether the same thing happens or if it is possibly a difference in manufacturer spec.
I think the 'Memory remaining/used' counter problem is probably a minor bug in the KN7000 software.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online