SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#49566 - 08/14/02 09:23 PM Doing Horn Falls
NSR Offline

Loc: Sonora, CA USA
Hi,

I am working on my own big band styles in COMPOSER. I would like to know how to do good horn falls like they are done in presets. I have been doing them in real time using the PITCH BEND that is set to 12 in PART SETTING. With great difficulty, it works but it is definitely not as good as what I am hearing when it is used in presets. I especially want to use falls in Intros. Alec, I know you or someone has an answer. Thanks.

#49567 - 08/15/02 01:15 AM Re: Doing Horn Falls
technicsplayer Offline

octave is very difficult to control. In composer part setting, try 2, 3 or 4, depending on particular voice. First play the notes, add the bend afterwards. Then try some modulation added to the end of the bend afterwards.

#49568 - 08/15/02 09:13 AM Re: Doing Horn Falls
NSR Offline

Thanks, Alec - I'll give it a try. I have even thought of stealing a well done one in a preset intro that is in the right place by just changing the notes in that spot along with a completely different intro. Unfortunately, there aren't that many to pick from and most often, not in the right place. Is it possible to move notes in a measure from one beat to another without having to actually play them?

#49569 - 08/15/02 09:27 AM Re: Doing Horn Falls
technicsplayer Offline

sure easy, use the copy and paste menu to work within a composer, then pattern copy to overwrite tracks, or, easy record into the sequencer, apc to smf convert, then sequencer to composer copy for any snippet from one composer into another.

#49570 - 08/15/02 08:57 PM Re: Doing Horn Falls
NSR Offline

Thanks, again Alec. I definitely have to think about what you have said to do. You mentioned several steps and my eyes started to cross after a couple. Since I have not done copy and paste in COMPOSER, I'll have to carefully follow what you say as well as the other possible steps.

By my asking about moving a beat in a measure brings up another point, which is very similar. Most of my work in SEQUENCER is done in real time. On occasion but seldom, I go into STEP RECORD and change velocity on a few notes and maybe length on a couple. One time, I wished I had come in on a phrase a little sooner. I thought, if I could just move that chord or note over a bit, it would be perfect. Looking at and using the 8th, 16th, etc. cursor points doesn't work or at least, I can't make it work. I end up losing the syncopation. Any suggestions other than performing that measure over using PUNCH IN? I probably have answered my question by stating syncopation - There is no set point to come in naturally.

#49571 - 08/16/02 01:34 AM Re: Doing Horn Falls
technicsplayer Offline

use composer copy and paste to move any measure wherever you like within a composer. Use pattern copy to copy any part from one composer to another. Use the sequencer when it is easier than copy and paste and pattern copy.

go to sequencer/range edit/advance/delay. here you can move notes in individual measures backwards and forwards by individual ticks. Same as note edit/position, but does all notes in the measure at once. Easy to get the hang of once you've played with a few values.

#49572 - 08/16/02 09:51 AM Re: Doing Horn Falls
NSR Offline

Thanks, Alec - You're the best!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online