SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52056 - 05/02/02 11:51 PM Recording help Pleeeeese
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Can any of you clever people help me
I have been trying to record songs with vocals straight through the keyboard onto mini disk and then into my creative labs recorder, then import into cubase every thing seems to go fine untill I play back in cubase then i get a crackle that is not on the mini disk I cannot get rid of it, I have tried different inputs changed my cables is it possibly the sound card or am I doing something wrong
Many thanks in advance.
jan

#52057 - 05/03/02 02:13 AM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
technicsplayer Offline

all depends on your crackle, your sound card, the drivers of your sound card, the speed of your pc, amount of ram, speed and defragmentation status of your hard disk, whether you are using the right sampling frequency...

are you sure you are not overloading the audio through the line in and clipping? Either overload on the sound card input through the mixer slider level being too high, or clipping on the minidisk player due to the minidisk volume being too high into the line input of the sound card. If not clipping, you might just need better hardware.

try the windows sound recorder instead of cubase for an experiment?

if you play the wave file through media player instead of cubase, is the crackle still there?

why not try bypassing minidisk and play the sequencer audio directly into the computer?

#52058 - 05/06/02 07:59 PM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Jan,

What soundcard do you have? I have a SoundBlaster Live and some time ago I was following a soundblaster forum and the problem of crackling was frequently raised. If this is the card you have then let me know and I'll see if I can track down any of the suggested remedies. I don't recall any specific solution, but some people did find things that helped.

Regards,
Mike

#52059 - 05/07/02 01:39 AM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
kozykeys Offline

Hi mike
yes it is soundblaster live, it worked fine for a while now this crackle has started.
I would be interested to have the information on what is is if you can find it.
manyy thanks for your help
jan

#52060 - 05/07/02 07:48 PM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
Mike Daniell Offline

Jan,

See if this link helps:
http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=34,E=0000000000004088782,K=6922,Sxi=1,Case=obj(1091)

This is an official Creative Labs support page, offering advice on "Popping or crackling noises during record or playback with an SB Live!". It contains the main suggestions I remember reading when I was following the soundblaster newsgroup some time ago.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mike

#52061 - 05/15/02 03:30 PM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
kozykeys Offline

Thanks mike
Ihave been to the site and onto the creative chat help they say if they cannot cure the card they will replace it
Thanks again sorry I took so long to answer

#52062 - 05/15/02 09:37 PM Re: Recording help Pleeeeese
Mike Daniell Offline

That sounds like excellent customer service from Creative Labs, Jan. Interesting thing is that I had the reverse of your situation - I used to have crackling and now I don't, although I don't remember what I may have changed to stop it. I recently recorded a CD of songs I recorded on my KN6000, and there's not one crackle or pop on the CD, but when I first got my CD writer I was getting this problem when I was compiling a CD from another CD, leaving out songs that drove me up the wall!

Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online