SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52971 - 05/08/02 09:49 AM Tech Manager6000
Don Rehrer Offline

Loc: Meridian, Idaho
I just learned something. I wrote a reply to the Tech Manager I started a few weeks ago and put the statement on the site twice. I requested a delete and it seems that the whole topic disappeared. Sorry. However, I am sure most of you remember the problem I had with the TM working on my Win98 setup. Alec was helping me. Nothing worked so I got some expert PC help and wiped all out and put ME back on the computer and the TM now works fine. One more question. I just loaded the KN files into the PC for about an hour on Backup and then hit exit assuming it would automatically save or ask if I wanted to save but everything disappeared. How do you save the data and work on it when disconnected from the KN or am I missing some point. Again, thanks to everyone on this site.
Well, I did one thing right. I can fit in with Grampa Dean (great stuff) and sign myself: Great Grampa Don.

#52972 - 05/08/02 01:58 PM Re: Tech Manager6000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Grate Grandpa Don,

Grate Grandpa that's great. Sometimes great is not great. Great is great when you become a great but sometimes when you become a great some things start to go down the grate. As you know a grate is something that covers a drain. Usually the grate stops things of no value like trash from going down the drain but fails to stop something of value like a ring or money. One of my experiences that contributed to my vast knowledge of many subjects, is with my Dad. How I remember the happiness of old Dad when he became Grandpa. When he became Great Grandpa his happiness turned to exuberance. Shortly afterwards his exuberance went down the drain with his white hair. Yes, his beautiful white hair. His beautiful snow white hair. Down through the grate in the bathroom sink. Every morning, the combing, the thinning, the hair through the grate into the drain never to be seen again.

Don, I didn’t misspell “great”. I addressed you as Grate Grandpa to get your attention. Your attention before it’s too late. Before it all goes through the grate into the drain. As BEBOP said many times, this forum is here to help us who need help. Yes, share your knowledge. Give advice to those who need it. As a good member of this forum, even as a junior member, I am ready and willing to do my part. Turn in your color-back hair tonic and purchase a good hair restorer. I know! Yes, I know what's in store for me pretty soon. First hand experience is the best teacher, as the old saying goes.

l’m glad you got your Tech Manager up and running. Sometimes I wish I had a PC so I could address some of the problems you guys encounter. Then again maybe not. Guess I’ll just slide along with my Mac. Anyway Don, with Alec on the job who could want anything more? I don’t know how any one person can acquire and store that much info in the brain. We are surely blessed with our wonderful instruments and the experts at hand to get us over and through the rough spots.

Anyway Don, why don’t you get your mind and fingers away from the computer. Tell your legs to move you over to the keyboard and plunk out a song. If you can’t figure out how to save your backup on the computer, I’m positive you know how to save your song to a disk. Slide the song into the computer, Zip it and send it over to BEBOP for his new idea. I zipped one over last night. Maybe by this weekend we can all hear ourselves and our friends in his first edition. If the kids can listen to their noise and can call that music we certainly can listen to our playing and call it music. After all, it’s all in fun. If one loses the art of fun, one loses the pleasure of life it’s self.

Grandpa Doug

#52973 - 05/08/02 04:24 PM Re: Tech Manager6000
technicsplayer Offline

the backup and restore functions do exactly what their name implies and no more. You are not supposed to interupt a first backup so that future incremental backups only happen from new work saved since the last time a backup was performed.

there is no logical reason to change a backup since then you will have different files on pc and sx6, and the whole purpose of the excersise is to save twice for safety.

for updating the hard drive from the pc use the copy function, for renaming, re-ordering, manipulating files and directories, listing contents, writing load lists, etc use all the other functions in the techmanager.

#52974 - 05/08/02 05:52 PM Re: Tech Manager6000
Don Rehrer Offline

I seem to understand what you are saying, Alec but one point is missing for me. I BACKUP on my pc but the backup does not stay on the PC. How do I save it to the PC so I can restore it later to the sx6 if I have an sx6 hard drive problem. I don't seem to be explaining it correctly. Don't give up on me. GG DON

#52975 - 05/09/02 07:16 AM Re: Tech Manager6000
technicsplayer Offline

the default backup folder is within the techmanager program folder named 'backup'.

there are 3 'part' folders inside, one for each partition.

if you accept the default path the program finds them automatically, alternatively you can set your own path to save and load.

a backup of a couple of hundred midi files of 3 or 4 MB takes half an hour or so. a backup of my main partitions takes all night for each of them so just leave it alone until it tells you it is finished.

#52976 - 05/09/02 12:23 PM Re: Tech Manager6000
Don Rehrer Offline

By George, I've got it, Alec. Being a Mac person, I figured it would advise me it saved and I could open it but since I could not get back into the TM without being connected to the KN, I was not sure where it was saved. Having learned a little more, I went to Windows Explorer and found it and all the files are there. I want to thank you for your assistance. You just make sure you stay around. We need you.

And to you, Grampa Dean, what makes you think I have hair to change color? Great comments. CUL GGDon

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online