SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#43197 - 04/20/02 01:54 PM Tutorial for creating new styles
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Whilst I find all this information very interesting I have to say I agree with Bud - when do you get time to actually play your instrument? - Just asking!

Aud

#43198 - 04/21/02 08:12 AM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Hi Audrey

I agree it’s nice to fiddle around (Pardon the Pun) making new sounds and set-ups etc, but I personally feel there are plenty of new styles to be getting on with they just need a little re-arranging

My brother was an absolute wiz at making marvellous sound setting /patterns etc on his Yamaha EL90 it took him hours very impressive but he never really played the it. Obviously there are people who would like this additional information so good luck and well done to Lindoz.

Pete

#43199 - 04/21/02 01:34 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Aud,
Just to add a slightly different perspective; there are a number of the non-pros here who enjoy recording CD’s and tapes for their friends and family. If you are going to put together 15 or 20 songs that will be heard over and over again, it’s worth spending a little extra time to do a special arrangement. That may mean editing a sound or snipping a section of a MIDI file to make a Composer Pattern that is just perfect. Because I’m just trying to find my way in this wonderful pastime of sharing music with others, I frequently spend 3 to 4 months to arrange the songs on a CD.

Jamming with friends or playing for club meeting utilizing the great factory setups is the other part of the musical experience and it seems to me that one activity enriches the other. It’s my hope that curiosity will not kill this cat.
Frank

#43200 - 04/22/02 07:13 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Being in the camera business for many years, I recall selling three expensive major brand, complete camera outfits to a customer, all in one year, and he never took one picture. Many people just want to posses certain equiptment, not to use it, but to admire it, show it to friends, polish and take care of it, etc. A friend of mine that is in the gun business, said he sold four guns to a customer in one year and he never fired one shot. No doubt there are some people in this world that have this same trait with keyboards, but lets hope there are not many. I"m sure there are not any on this wonderful forum, cause mainly what we do is: play, play, play, and post, post, post. Cheers everyone. ARJ

#43201 - 04/22/02 07:24 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I agree with you Frank. When you are just playing for friends or doing a gig, a mistake lasts for just a fleeting moment and it's gone. When you make CD's or other recordings a mistake or inadequate thought about the rhythm back up or voicing can drive you nuts when you hear it over and over again. So, it is certainly worth the effort to give a lot of thought to preparation and editing for recordings.

#43202 - 04/24/02 04:17 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Everyone,

I agree with everything you say as I have been making tapes (and now CDs) for several years and I get great satisfaction from producing a sound and/or rhythm that is just perfect for the tune I am playing but I do this by 'tweaking' the on board facilities only. I did try sequencing once but found it very time consuming and so I gave up and went back to my own way of doing things. I now have quite a collection of my 'own' tapes but I always like to hear other people's compositions and have learned a great deal from them over the years.

My brother-in-law (a keen organ fan)insists that I am a 'fake' because I use disks and make use of the facilities offered on the KN simply because he cannot, or will not, try to understand the technology, whereas I find it fascinating. In fact, if I were younger, I would choose a career in the computer world. Personally, I think he doesn't know what he is missing but it would be a boring World if we were all alike wouldn't it?

Keep the topics coming!

Aud

#43203 - 04/24/02 08:04 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Brings to mind an old saying -

Different strokes for different folks.

Grandpa Doug

#43204 - 04/25/02 04:50 PM Re: Tutorial for creating new styles
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Audrey, don't pay any attention to your jealous brother. I have an older, piano playing sister that feels the same way, but she can't play a note without music in front of her, and her style hasn't changed in forty years of playing. There just isn't any passion in that sort of playing. No imagination, either. We are WAY better than those mere key bangers, so point your nose at the heavens and play on.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 04-25-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online