SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#37949 - 09/27/00 07:29 PM What is the best way to make a demo with my arranger keyboard and vocals?
Dnj Offline

I am interested in doing this. Does anyone have info on best way to go about it? EG: P/C
software, Mini disc, CD burner, Multi trac tape, thru the keyboard ? I am open to the easiest
way to make a quality stereo demo with vocals. Thanx for any advice.

Donny

#37950 - 09/28/00 08:25 PM Re: What is the best way to make a demo with my arranger keyboard and vocals?
Smitty Offline

Loc: Holtwood, PA. USA
Well, thats a good question and theres a lot of choices out there and a lot of options that are available, basically you need to get two tracks from the keyboard and one good vocal track into a recording device. The simple way is to go into a mixer and into a two track deck of some sort, say a cassette for low cost or a DAT or ADAT , the ADAT will allow you to put a lot more than three tracks down.
If you already have a computer, youre partway there. You can get a good sound card they are from 299 and up past 1200 depending on how many inputs you get. Some soundcards will allow you to put in from four to eight inputs and you'll probably eventually want as many inputs as you can afford because you might want to go back and add more parts to your mix or you might get another keyboard later, you will also need software to run your sound card.
Another option is the simple and cheap four track, if all you want to do is create a simple demo they are great for it providing you have a good mike for recording.
There are also relatively inexpensive digital multi trackers out there now and some not so inexpensive ones. I have only grazed the surface here, but maybe you have some idea. It all really depends on your budjet and your preferences, if you are computer savy and dont mind doing everything with keystrokes and a mouse go computer.If you like tactile control get something hands on.

------------------
Smitty

#37951 - 10/04/00 07:22 AM Re: What is the best way to make a demo with my arranger keyboard and vocals?
WS Offline

If you have a PC I would recommend Cakewalk Pro Audio. You can probably pick up versions 5.0 or 6.0 for next to nothing ,very user friendly. You should also get a 4 buss mixer. Basically, it is 2 stereo mixers in one. This allows you to listen to what you have recorded on 2 busses while recording at the same time on the other 2 busses. If you had a stereo mixer all of the tracks would record on top of each other. A Mackie 1202 would be great and can be found for $150 used. You also need an AUDIO SOUNDCARD and not a MULTIMEDIA soundcard. Get a decent mic (many people use the SM58 which is cheap and great for live gigs but you can find better studio mics on sale). Get a good set of headphones. You need an amp and monitor speakers. Don't use a home stereo amp because it is not made for live recording and will fry. Get some effects and you will have a complete studio. Use a CDRW and burn your music.

Check out www.harmony-central.com for used equipment/software. First you should check out the discount magazines such as AmericanMusicalSupply or Musician's Friend. You might find new equipment on sale at a better price than the used stuff.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online